Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Host a temporary hidden server.

stormkiller22 Guest

Default Host a temporary hidden server.

Hey guys been playing hidden for a bit now with friends and I'm looking to host a server.

Not a perminent server just to be able to hit create server when I come online and have people able to join.

I'm guessing I have to forward a few ports or something.

Any help would be great thanks.

stormkiller22 Guest

i tried forwarding
    UDP 1200 (Friends Network)
    UDP 27000 to 27015 (Gameport)
    UDP 27020
    TCP 27030 to 27039
    TCP: 27015 (SRCDS Rcon port)

you only need to forward 27015. UDP for the game port and if you want people outside to be able to use RCON then TCP as well.

make sure the computer running the server is using a manually assigned IP address that falls outside of the modem/router's DHCP range. you can find that range in the router's LAN/Advanced settings somewhere. if the range is say, 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.200 then manually set the computer's network card's TCP/IP settings to 192.168.1.50 or something and forward the ports to that IP instead.

if you don't do this the router probably wont forward the port, or if it does the port number people outside see will be random.

also keep in mind that you will most likely not be able to see your server from the internet unless you use a 3rd party list site like gamemonitor or gametiger as any requests you make directly will be intercepted by your router. some will be smart enough to figure out what you want to do. most wont.
    Last edited by Paegus; 27th April 2008 at 00:48.
    Custom HUD
    Radio Menu
    Demo Key
    Hidden:SourceMod
    Hydrogen is a colorless, odorless gas,
    that when left alone in suffucient quantities
    for sufficient time, will think about itself.

stormkiller22 Guest

thanks man so my router range is:

IP Address Range: 192.168.1.100 ~ 149

anything above / below will work!

on another note what does that effect if I go outside DHCP range ?

one more thing. When I hit creat server the host name is something like "Hidden : Source" do I leave it like that ?
    Last edited by stormkiller22; 27th April 2008 at 02:30.

setting the server's IP to something outside the router's DHCP range shouldn't do anything other than let the router forward the port correctly instead of thinking "wait... i'm forwarding a port to an ip address that is being set dynamically, so theoretically it will change at some point and when it does i'll be forwarding a port to an address that doesn't connect to anything... that's just silly".

though make sure that by "outside the DHCP range" you keep the 1st 3 groups the same: 192.168.1.XXX. dont be setting it to 192.168.100.XXX or something unless you set the subnet masks to 255.255.0.0 to compensate.

and remember to set the server computer's default gateway and primary DNS server to the IP of the router otherwise you wont be able to connect to the internet.

as for the server name: it has no bearing on whether your server is visible or not.
    Custom HUD
    Radio Menu
    Demo Key

stormkiller22 Guest

hmm I tryed it and my friend still can not connect any idea ?

stormkiller22 Guest

"and primary DNS server" I have gateway set to router ip but what do you mean by dns ? i have them set so i can connect to internet but the primary is not the same as gateway.
    Last edited by stormkiller22; 27th April 2008 at 05:01. Reason: adsad

If your friend can't connect, check the basic things like sv_lan and sv_region.

stormkiller22 Guest

no it's like it wont even get to the sv_lan part it stops him even before that. I have tryed with a few people.

for the internal computer they should be as the router will act as a DNS server for you.

if they still cant connect, and if you have a separate modem and router then make sure your modem is not ALSO a router.
    Custom HUD
    Radio Menu
    Demo Key