Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not necessary, but I'd appreciate it

aluminum can Guest

Default Not necessary, but I'd appreciate it

I, unfortunately, don't have a microphone nor do I have the $$ to spend on one(or buy the Orange box for that matter, damnit) so I rely on the radio communications a bunch to let people know when I'm getting owned and when I see the Hidden. My biggest beef with the system is that if I'm ever asked a question my only option is to say yes. For once I would like to be able to say, "Negative." I realize that's kind of a small, non-priority suggestion, but as it says in the title of this post, I'd appreciate it.

What's wrong with just typing "no"?

"The enemy gate is down"

The Hidden - Source
    Calibre Studios
    Developicus Videogameos (Dev Blog)

He has a point. It is kind of silly to have an "affirmative" voice bind without the opposite as well. You can always type it, but then there's no audio element.

Besides, what's so hard about typing "yes"? :P

We spoke about it at length and decided that with the set of radio commands we had negative wasn't all that important - I can't remember the exact discussion, it happened a loooong time ago...

"The enemy gate is down"

The Hidden - Source
    Calibre Studios
    Developicus Videogameos (Dev Blog)

ComeToJesus Guest

None of the voice commands are "all that important".

They're just a luxury that add a little to the game, and having a "no" voice command would just add to the palette of neat things available.

Quote Originally Posted by ComeToJesus View Post
    palette of neat things available.
    Palette of neat yet if you really think about it their not really absolutely undeniably required things available.
    I lots of lost the idea of behind these forum when because i not could understood the everything that said was here... (Grammatical skills, because it is something we should all possess.)

- Well you mite not be hacking cus i was right infront of you several tiems and you didn't always c me, but mabe you have altered your textures to see the hidden better? - Bananenbrei, failing to understand that the hidden uses a shader instead of a texture...

I'd go so far as to venture that the current voice commands (on the IRIS side, at least) are nothing more than fluff, but that the system could easily be turned into a useful part of team play.

Consider the following set of useful commands:
    Yes, No, Need backup, Need ammo, thanks, man down, taunt, hidden spotted, and report in.

That covers practically all the basic pieces of communication that you might need in a hurry. If the IRIS voice binds were reworked such that there's more margin of error in selecting a specific bind (bigger boxes for the buttons), and the "hidden spotted" bind is in the center of the radio flower, it becomes the single fastest way of communicating any of those items.

Granted, the voice binds need some bugs fixed in regards to them displaying in text and such before any of that is worthwhile, but a set of binds set up along these lines would be far more functional than the current one, which contains superfluous and often annoying binds like the "ugly motherfucker" bind, "if it bleeds", and "bring it". At the very least, taunts should be combined into a single bind... it's also an excuse to use some of the other voice clips Khu set up.

Once the tactical view is implemented, voice binds could become even more important if they are given enough hooks into it. Aside from simply being able to see who's saying what at a distance, bings like "need backup", "man down", and "hidden spotted" could put big, flashing markers down on the HUD

Quote Originally Posted by starstriker1 View Post
    ...and the "hidden spotted" bind is in the center of the radio flower, it becomes the single fastest way of communicating any of those items.
    I already have that voice command bound to F, so I can alert people quickly while I start firing upon the hidden.

Bind f "radio 1" for anyone wondering.

Cheesey Guest

@starstriker

the idea sounds really good! It would also be nice to set keys within the keyboard-menu. It's easy with the console, if you know it. I think beginners would really appreaciate that...

Quote Originally Posted by starstriker1 View Post
    Consider the following set of useful commands:
    Yes, No, Need backup, Need ammo, thanks, man down, taunt, hidden spotted, and report in.

...would be far more functional than the current one, which contains superfluous and often annoying binds like the "ugly motherfucker" bind, "if it bleeds", and "bring it". At the very least, taunts should be combined into a single bind...
    there could indeed be 1 taunt button that shifts given various circumstances. during the game it says the 'bring it' and 'come out you freak' ones. once the hidden has been wounded to a certain point (say to pigstick enabling levels) it adds the 'if it can bleed..' and 'bleed you bastard' ones. once the hidden is neutralized and visible (round ends) you get the 'ugly mother...' one.

'thanks' can easily fall under 'roger' i think.

'need ammo' might gain some importance with the new ammo stores but it would be well to have them automatically appear on the iris hud automatically. saves the player having to ask for it. one thing that's bugged me for a while about the current b5 method is that the ammo pickup is automatic and doesn't require the player to have requested so the supplier can lace the map with ammo packs that will be automatically picked up giving them the extra weight points regardless of need.

so that leaves: yes, no, backup, contact, report, down, ammo and taunt. which leaves it as 8... all in all not a bad number.

on a side note, if the radios automatically reply to report in... and the radios of dead iris remain 'active'... wont they also reply automatically?
    Custom HUD
    Radio Menu
    Demo Key
    Hidden:SourceMod
    Hydrogen is a colorless, odorless gas,
    that when left alone in suffucient quantities
    for sufficient time, will think about itself.