Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mirrors in Source?

Euphoria Guest

Default Mirrors in Source?

I've just started mapping in hidden and I was wondering- is it possible to create mirrors? There arn't any in Half Life 2 or any source mod, but if it can be done in Deus Ex why not source?

Different engines - there's 0 functionality available within Source to make a mirror that would reflect everything (especially the player model)

"The enemy gate is down"

The Hidden - Source
    Calibre Studios
    Developicus Videogameos (Dev Blog)

Quote Originally Posted by Ging View Post
    (especially the player model)
    Considering your client doesnt render one.

Quote Originally Posted by Euphoria View Post
    I've just started mapping in hidden and I was wondering- is it possible to create mirrors? There arn't any in Half Life 2 or any source mod, but if it can be done in Deus Ex why not source?
    Closest you will get at the mo either a really high (256) cubemapped surface that is fully reflective OR
    a func_monitor withe camera facing out away from the monitor its relaying to OR
    to build a 'fake' copy of the world you want reflected behind where the mirror is, being sure to use a transparent shiny texture for your mirror surface.

Of course none have amazing results and not truely reflecting everything.

Fluffy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Boxy View Post
    Closest you will get at the mo either a really high (256) cubemapped surface that is fully reflective OR
    a func_monitor withe camera facing out away from the monitor its relaying to OR
    to build a 'fake' copy of the world you want reflected behind where the mirror is, being sure to use a transparent shiny texture for your mirror surface.

Of course none have amazing results and not truely reflecting everything.

You can get a mirror-like texture with real world reflections going, but most of the time the client has real world reflections disabled (due to the stress on performance) and you really dont get too much extra with it... (not to mention you dont get to see yourself either...)

didn't dystopia fix the no-player model problem?

would be nice for self-shadows though... maybe in HL4 they'll finally get around to it.
    Custom HUD
    Radio Menu
    Demo Key
    Hidden:SourceMod
    Hydrogen is a colorless, odorless gas,
    that when left alone in suffucient quantities
    for sufficient time, will think about itself.

Not sure about dys fixing the non-player model issue, it's a bit of an ingrained engine one as far as I know (just because you don't get rendered if you're in first person mode).

"The enemy gate is down"

The Hidden - Source
    Calibre Studios
    Developicus Videogameos (Dev Blog)

i recall a goof-off session a while back where we all played CS:S in 3rd person with the cameras inside our heads. wasn't all that bad actually. though the crosshairs never quite lined up.

HL2 traditionally doesn't have mirrors. It ruins all the suspense to see Gordon Freeman in the mirror!
    Or at leats that's their excuse for not implementing it.
    Apparently, not seeing your reflection in the water isn't as disbelief-causing as not seeing your reflection in a mirror.
    Dispossible a fetter hein and bemay kine a sinder's tock.

paul|zero Guest

Its possible to do third-person in source, but because of prediction and some other issues with how the pose parameters (body/aim/move pitch and yaw) for the player model are calculated, its buggy. Garry fixed it for his mod which makes extensive use of cameras. I made a third person mode using the antlion model which accounted for prediction, as well. So, first fix the third person bugs, then change it so that when rendering cameras the local player renders his player model. Then a mirror is just a camera pointing out from its monitor.

It's definitely not an engine limitation, its just something that Valve didn't fix up because they weren't using it.