Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tweak That Map...

Sil Guest

On Highrise, when spawning as a marine (dunno if this was ever fixed), there's two staircases leading up to the tallest level of the map. The rightmost of these two staircases share areas with a steamduct-thingyawummit, huge contraption can't miss it, that is easy to get stuck behind as hidden. (Getting stuck between the fence and the contraption thing, pretty much)

Make sense? Already fixed? Anyways, that's one issue I had last time I played. (Might say something about how often I play, that piece of info)

Also, if I remember correctly -- and this is purely cosmetic -- there's a railing thing on the staircase going down in the cafeteria of Executive. The railing there is basically a flat stone surface, and it's dead wide when it would really make more sense and look better if it were shorter. Would also make that bit more useful for the hidden as marines can't just slip off that staircase. (Let's face it, you would *NEVER* jump off a smooth, straight stone slope in real life. Ever. You would slip and break your head or something, and it wouldn't even be natural to walk on it.)

Fluffy Guest

ahh yes. that reminds me now. In sewers, on top of the pipes that you come out of in the pillar room, if you try leaping up to the top of the pipe occasionally you get stuck between the pipe and the pillar (right below the angled thingy too) so what you have to do is slowly walk towards one side or the other. Basically, it'd be nice to put a player clip someplace you cant get stuck in those little holes.

Regarding the displacements under the water (whoever mentioned it) you should leave them as they are, too many parts where the displacements come up above the water mean that the IRIS can run around on the displacements without making noise... noise is crucial in hidden. leave the water and displacements the same...

Sil Guest

Ah! Speaking of player clips, would you make player clips in small holes without making them unclingable surfaces -- or "tough to cling to" surfaces? Clingable player clips, if this is in any way feasible? Because I would find myself risking getting stuck between two objects in order to cling to one of them in an escape rather than jumping at it and not getting stuck at all yet killed by a fragmonkey. =/

Player clips are by default, unclingable - which is how we stop 617 hanging off invisible walls.

"The enemy gate is down"

The Hidden - Source
    Calibre Studios
    Developicus Videogameos (Dev Blog)

Sil Guest

I figured, that's why I took a tentative approach and asked if it was possible to find a way around this. Player clip, invisible wall on top? Dunno. =/ Just don't make a tactical clingspot unclingable due to the risk of sticktion.

Cant you just make a nodrawed brush?

nodraw blocks light... how about sky?
    Custom HUD
    Radio Menu
    Demo Key
    Hidden:SourceMod
    Hydrogen is a colorless, odorless gas,
    that when left alone in suffucient quantities
    for sufficient time, will think about itself.

can't remember if you can cling to sky or not (you shouldn't be able to, but I wouldn't put anything past me when I wrote the cling system many moons ago)

"The enemy gate is down"

The Hidden - Source
    Calibre Studios
    Developicus Videogameos (Dev Blog)

Kira Yamato Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paegus
    manor:
    there's a tonne of props in manor that needs to be throwabled but i think someone's mentioned them.
    I wanna throw the grandfather clock around!!!

You can cling to the skybox texture, so that wont work. The grandfather clock has no back to it, its been culled away, so there no time soon that you will be able to move that. I keep wanting to bin Manor and remake a more dark and dusty, smashed up version of it, thats smaller, but time is against me. Ive never been happy with Manor as it is.

Thanks for the info guys, I'm working through each map making adjustments where possible based on this thread. Keep them coming!!