Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Weighting

Felf Guest

Default Weighting

Right, I know there's already a weighting thread, but it wasn't very constructive and turned into a flame-fest.

The question I ask is this: What are the weighting proportions? (and which actions exactly do you get weighted for?) For instance, how does "killing" the hidden compare to doing him, say, 80% damage ?

You get a point of weighting for each point of damage you do, there's a bonus of 50 for killing 617 but you lose 20 if you die.

Team wounding removes weighting to the level of damage done.

Supplying ammunition gives you a bonus of 20

A hit with the 303 gives a bonus of 25 (the DoT doesn't count towards your weighting)

At the point where a hidden is selected it starts a 'lottery' - it sums the total weighting value and assigns each player a space within the range of 0 to totalweight, the size of which depends on their weighting.

Finally, it selects a random number between 0 and totalweight, searches the players and assigns whichever player 'has' that number to be hidden.

"The enemy gate is down"

The Hidden - Source
    Calibre Studios
    Developicus Videogameos (Dev Blog)

GIGAR Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ging
    You get a point of weighting for each point of damage you do, there's a bonus of 50 for killing 617 but you lose 20 if you die.

Team wounding removes weighting to the level of damage done.

Supplying ammunition gives you a bonus of 20

A hit with the 303 gives a bonus of 25 (the DoT doesn't count towards your weighting)

At the point where a hidden is selected it starts a 'lottery' - it sums the total weighting value and assigns each player a space within the range of 0 to totalweight, the size of which depends on their weighting.

Finally, it selects a random number between 0 and totalweight, searches the players and assigns whichever player 'has' that number to be hidden.
    Does that mean, that it isn't sure that you are becomming the Hidden, even if you have the highest weighting?

peglegpete Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GIGAR
    Does that mean, that it isn't sure that you are becomming the Hidden, even if you have the highest weighting?
    If you killed the hidden and did the majority of the damage to him, your chances are better than anybody else to become the hidden.

In fact if you deal more than 75 damage to the hidden, but did not kill him yet you still lived, you would still have the best chance at being the hidden. Doing 75 damage would mean the hidden only has 25 hp left, so whoever did kill him got 25 for the damage dealt and then 50 for the bonus, giving them 75 (equal to you). If you do 76 or more, then you have the best chance as long as nobody is giving out ammo or attacking with the 303. Though if you died, you would have needed to compensate for the 20 point loss by doing 10 more damage (85).

But I do have a couple questions. If you die without doing anything that earns you points, do you have zero (negative, really) chance to become hidden? If a player's weightsum is in the negatives, is it summed into the totalweight or just flat ignored?

And do the weights cumulate between rounds or is reset at the beginning of each?
    Last edited by peglegpete; 17th June 2006 at 20:41.

If you die without doing anything, you have no chance of becoming hidden (as it should be) - if everyone dies without doing anything and the round limit is reached (so no one has weighting, but we need a new hidden) we swap to the random selection method for that selection.

A player with a weighting of 0 or below is ignored in the lottery, as they add nothing to the total weighting.

Weights are counted on a round by round basis (when you spawn, they get dropped to 0)

"The enemy gate is down"

The Hidden - Source
    Calibre Studios

peglegpete Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ging
    Weights are counted on a round by round basis (when you spawn, they get dropped to 0)
    Not to beat a dead horse, but just wanted to be sure:
    So let's say someone has killed the hidden three rounds in a row and done a good amount of damage each time (maybe close to the majority weight), yet they've been unlucky those three rounds in the lottery and been skipped over for hidden selection. There's nothing to give them a better chance at being picked despite their bad luck? Not really a big deal, but maybe a system to notice streaks could be conceptualized?

Probably more work than the benefit though, hehe. And of course, you already give a huge bonus to the hidden's killer, so that should be that.

They'd have to have the worse luck, ever to not manage to get picked three rounds in a row...

We'll see how it pans out, if we get lots of reports saying "I had a 90% chance of being selected, but I didn't, 5 times in a row" we'll look into dealing with streaks.

"The enemy gate is down"

The Hidden - Source
    Calibre Studios

steve101101 Guest

I dislike the new weighting system. I have killed the hidden two time in arow, and i was not choosen as the new hidden. I liked the older way of choosing the hidden, you kill the hidden, you become the hidden. This allows the users that actually kill the hidden to get rewarded and become the hidden. please change this back to the way it was. Thanks

Find a server that has classic selection set, if that's the way you want to play.

One thing was certain, that the white kitten had had nothing to do with it - it was the black kitten's fault entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by steve101101
    I dislike the new weighting system. I have killed the hidden two time in arow, and i was not choosen as the new hidden. I liked the older way of choosing the hidden, you kill the hidden, you become the hidden. This allows the users that actually kill the hidden to get rewarded and become the hidden. please change this back to the way it was. Thanks
    Weighted is a cvar. You can change back to the old method if you like.