Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Playing H:S on a Weak Machine

Chas0r Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Viper114
    Where you see XXX, put in the number that is equal to HALF of your RAM size. Say, if you have 512MB of RAM, put in 256.
    Do you know why it has to be half? I've seen this quite often now, "enter half you graphic card's memory, half your RAM, half whaterver".
    What happens to the other half of my valueable memory? Or do games generally need to know half the heap available?
    If you don't know, I'm sure the omnicent devs do^^

M_C Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Chas0r
    Do you know why it has to be half? I've seen this quite often now, "enter half you graphic card's memory, half your RAM, half whaterver".
    What happens to the other half of my valueable memory? Or do games generally need to know half the heap available?
    I don't think it *has* to be 1/2. I have 2G and heapsizes of 1024000 make my rig crash more than a heap of 512000. YMMV.

Chas0r Guest

Quote Originally Posted by edit°
    Well he said he could run games without the windows explorer running. He had to "run" explorer.exe afterwards to get back into a usable windows interface but I just believed him based on the fact that one minute he couldn't play games at all, the next he was managing just fine.

I assumed its because the windows explorer is just the interface part of the OS and technically was just a program running on it like everything else, it made sense when I had it explained like that but I'm not really computer literate outside of getting games to work and using my pc with varying degrees of success to do work and browse. I can't do anything to do with coding and I've got problems assembling the PC itself completely.

Anyone else ever tried this? I'm going to later and just see if I was being lied to. I've made sure my rig will do the things I want it to (otherwise why have it ) over these past years so I've never had to resort to shutting down a vital part of windows for that little push in performance.
    I found a tool called "Process explorer". It can kill even critical processes of windows, and e.g. disable sound.
    I allready messed up with my registry & service management earlier, so I won't go even further for now, but if you suffer from bad performance (like I do since.. well.. ever) - it may be a good idea to reduce Win to the minimum.
    What I'm going to do, is using a "rip-to-bone" version of XP, that is reduced to 50MB hdd space. I expect good performace from that one as well.
    Good luck tweaking

Viper114 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Chas0r
    Well, it's usually recommended to go no more than half of your RAM size. People say anywhere from 128000 to 512000 works out the best, depending on RAM size (most people have 512 to 1024 MB of RAM, only a select few go any higher). For me, it's at half.

Oh, and edit, what I meant to say is how he is able to run anything after he kills explorer.exe. Usually when it's forced to close, the entire GUI for Windows disappears and won't reappear unless you hard reset the computer. Believe me, I've done it before by accident.

arrgghh, dont let boxy see this thread
    Twitter @Gusdor

Well, it's usually recommended to go no more than half of your RAM size. People say anywhere from 128000 to 512000 works out the best, depending on RAM size (most people have 512 to 1024 MB of RAM, only a select few go any higher). For me, it's at half.

Oh, and edit, what I meant to say is how he is able to run anything after he kills explorer.exe. Usually when it's forced to close, the entire GUI for Windows disappears and won't reappear unless you hard reset the computer. Believe me, I've done it before by accident.
    Yeah thats what I meant, he did some kind of keyboard command for 'run' and typed explorer.exe then its back

Guys, this other stuff about editing the registry is very very unsafe. Things like running programs without explorer.exe? That's ludicrous. As long as you close your other programs, there's NO reason to shut down explorer.exe to play a game.

I've half a mind to move all this other stuff to another thread and keep only Viper's HL2 tweak guide, as I would not recommend people randomly playing around with their registry.

M_C Guest

Quote Originally Posted by khu
    Guys, this other stuff about editing the registry is very very unsafe. Things like running programs without explorer.exe? That's ludicrous. As long as you close your other programs, there's NO reason to shut down explorer.exe to play a game.

I've half a mind to move all this other stuff to another thread and keep only Viper's HL2 tweak guide, as I would not recommend people randomly playing around with their registry.
    Indeed, deleting your run key for your registry will prevent anything from starting automatically like virus protection and such. Don't do it. Killing explorer.exe won't hurt anything but I wouldn't do it.

I think moving everything out but the guide (including this) is a fine idea.

Viper114 Guest

If people want to try and fiddle with stuff in Windows itself to see if they get more performance, then I suggest 3 things.

1) Defrag

One of the basic things that can be done. Use of data on your hard drives, over time, gets so fragmented that reading the data can actually take longer than a defragged drive, regardless of CPU or RAM speed. Defragging takes quite a while, though, so make sure you leave the computer to defrag for a while (EX: out at work, over night, etc...). You can either use the Windows default defragger, or you can get a third-party (and more reliable) program to defrag, as well.

2) CCleaner (cleaning out the crap)

CCleaner is a very useful tool. It has a very basic premise. Cleaning out crap! There's no telling what kind of useless data and old registry values still lurk on your computer, and this program can destroy anything from a couple of bits to a gig or more! You can also choose what CCleaner cleans out, in case there are any pieces of data you don't want it to destroy. It also can scan the registry for old and useless registry values to keep it nice and clean, too. Just google for CCleaner and it should be right on the first result.

3) TuneXP

This little program has the ability to, as its name suggests, tune Windows XP. It can tweak numerous aspects of XP, such as Memory & File System aspects, Hardware aspects, and more. When you follow the given documentation with it, you can increase the speed of XP by a large factor. A recommended piece of freeware for those in performance need. Google TuneXP and it's right there on the first result.

What the hell are you people on? You just press ctrl+alt+delete and click "run" Then type in what ever critical program you stopped.

Doc's self-proclaimed underling

1st Winner of the Qreaper PWN dance award. Category: Insult