Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Playing H:S on a Weak Machine

Viper114 Guest

Eh, well, depends if you see it or not. Bloom looks pretty, but when you're hurting for performance, bloom's gotta go. It's an optional cvar, recommended to be put in TweakGuide's CFG example, so I did just in case.

Blueflame Guest

studies show the vast majority of pc gamers prefer higher framerate over better graphics and even higher resolutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Viper114
    Eh, well, depends if you see it or not. Bloom looks pretty, but when you're hurting for performance, bloom's gotta go. It's an optional cvar, recommended to be put in TweakGuide's CFG example, so I did just in case.
    That's just it, in hidden, there is no bloom - mat_bloom doesn't do anything for you perfomance wise!

"The enemy gate is down"

The Hidden - Source
    Calibre Studios
    Developicus Videogameos (Dev Blog)

Chas0r Guest

I was just going to open such a thread, then I thought I'd better wait till b3..
    Anyway, something to add, beside of the ingame settings:
    I assume that you all use windows, so here is some tweaking stuff that's accually well-known
    1. System-performace:
      Go to System Properties -> Advanced -> System performace (click on properties ) -> At adjust performace chose Applications -> Same for memory usage -> At virtual memory click on CHANGE -> specify the disc-space allocated as memory, highest as you can afford
    2. Threads
      Most ppl I know just install pleny of applications and tools without minding their autostart fuctions. So first check your thread list and see which threads you can set aside.
      To remove them, go to regedit (Start-> Execute.. -> type "regedit") and look for the keys in HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/CurrentVersion/Run/
      If you delete the key, these files won't be executed on startup.
      Maybe some apps are also started by the autostart-folder (Start -> Programs -> autostart) Just delete those *.lnk files in this case.
    3. Services
      Windows uses WAY too much memory for services you never use.
      To change this, just find the service manager (system control -> administration -> services) and check what services are running.To deactivate them, chose properties -> startup -> deactivated.
      Services I deactivated are for instance fax / phonce, WAN ports, WIA service,.. There's a describtion, from which you can easily guess weather you need them or not. (if you don't have a printer, just throw away printer services)
      It's not much, but you get some memory, and CPU time from that. The memory allocated by services hides behind windows apps like svchost.exe or services.exe.
    4. Older drivers
      The recent gfx drivers, always have more features, more options, more memory usage. Sometimes, less is more - so try out older drivers.
      I can only tell for ATI-cards: Using Cataclyst 5.1 gives me about 15(!) FPS more than the newest version (6.3).
      Experement with them (or maybe someone can post experiences). You may use applications like ATI-tool to test/overclock as well. I'm sure there's something equivalent for nVidia-chips as well.

Those are just some tips i once wrote, and updated/translated* now. Quite generic ones, sometimes they help - sometimes they dont.

*I hope I correctly translated the windows definitions

Viper114 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ging
    That's just it, in hidden, there is no bloom - mat_bloom doesn't do anything for you perfomance wise!
    Not even if you run Hidden at highest graphical capability and have HDR enabled?

Nope, not a thing - I know this because mods don't have HDR support yet and I haven't implemented bloom.

"The enemy gate is down"

The Hidden - Source
    Calibre Studios
    Developicus Videogameos (Dev Blog)

Viper114 Guest

Ah, I see. Well, I've changed the posts to remove the mat_bloom line. If it ain't needed, don't use it.

I'm not sure if its still possible but I know a guy who's PC was so shocking that he used to go into the task manager and shut down windows explorer whilst he was playing. It helped heaps apparently

Viper114 Guest

I'd like to know how he would be able to do anything once he did.

Well he said he could run games without the windows explorer running. He had to "run" explorer.exe afterwards to get back into a usable windows interface but I just believed him based on the fact that one minute he couldn't play games at all, the next he was managing just fine.

I assumed its because the windows explorer is just the interface part of the OS and technically was just a program running on it like everything else, it made sense when I had it explained like that but I'm not really computer literate outside of getting games to work and using my pc with varying degrees of success to do work and browse. I can't do anything to do with coding and I've got problems assembling the PC itself completely.

Anyone else ever tried this? I'm going to later and just see if I was being lied to. I've made sure my rig will do the things I want it to (otherwise why have it ) over these past years so I've never had to resort to shutting down a vital part of windows for that little push in performance.