Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I guess this video is relevant now, more than ever

Quote Originally Posted by skotosa View Post
    And who knows, maybe if the developers get word of what I'm trying to do, it'll spark an awakening for them.
    Ging is gonna give anyone rights.. since it's his own creation, he doesn't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by o_O View Post
    Ging is gonna give anyone rights.. since it's his own creation, he doesn't want to.
    I guess you mean "Ging isn't".

He has Copyright on Hidden Source? An IP?

If he does have copyright I guess it would be on the name right? Because mechanically I'm not sure what he would "own". Invisibility isn't copyrightable, the weapons used isn't, nor any of the mechanics.

I think all he could really own and surely won't ever give up (at least any time soon) are the assets and source.
    And since I'm making this from scratch and in Unreal I don't need their assets or source.

Now if he owns the story and name then I can just change that up.
    Last edited by skotosa; 26th June 2016 at 21:13.

I guess you mean "Ging isn't".

He has Copyright on Hidden Source? An IP?

If he does have copyright I guess it would be on the name right? Because mechanically I'm not sure what he would "own". Invisibility isn't copyrightable, the weapons used isn't, nor any of the mechanics.

I think all he could really own and surely won't ever give up (at least any time soon) are the assets and source.
    And since I'm making this from scratch and in Unreal I don't need their assets or source.

Now if he owns the story and name then I can just change that up.
    Yes i meant he isn't. What i'm saying is Ging does not care anymore, he isn't gonna give anyone rights in terms of continueing "his project".
    http://www.calibre-studios.co.uk answer is there. All content is copyright Hidden Team

As long as you don't use any of the The Hidden:Source assets or game-code, he will disapprove of you not coming up with your own ideas but he can't and wont try to stop you from re-creating everything from scratch if you really want to.
    Custom HUD
    Radio Menu
    Demo Key
    Hidden:SourceMod
    Hydrogen is a colorless, odorless gas,
    that when left alone in suffucient quantities
    for sufficient time, will think about itself.

Yeah, we don't own any rights to the one vs many gametype, anyone can do this. We'd only take offense if you called it Hidden and used all the IRT and background lore stuff we cooked up, the IP as Paegus says essentially. We had plenty of people offer to take our code base/assets and finish up but they lose interest fast when they have to make anything from scratch themselves! Are you the Lurking In the Shadows project, skotosa? If so, seems very ambitious sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxy View Post
    Yeah, we don't own any rights to the one vs many gametype, anyone can do this. We'd only take offense if you called it Hidden and used all the IRT and background lore stuff we cooked up, the IP as Paegus says essentially. We had plenty of people offer to take our code base/assets and finish up but they lose interest fast when they have to make anything from scratch themselves! Are you the Lurking In the Shadows project, skotosa? If so, seems very ambitious sir.
    Hey, nice to speak directly with one of the devs.

I'm not with them officially no. They have contacted me for help and at first I declined, but recently I decided to see where they were at and maybe pitch in to help but I don't agree with some of the directions they want to go and they are very ambitious indeed.

My goal is to mimic Hidden Source mechanically (for starters and at the very least) and then I'm not sure what. I know at least I'd have the freedom to do and change whatever I want (test things out). At the moment my project is titled Hidden Unreal (Not sure how yall feel about that name?). I have no back story yet and the assets I'm using right now are pretty much all Stock ShooterGame (unreal's shooter game project) + a few assets I've tossed in there (not an artists by any means though).

I graduated college Last December and I've been busy working since March this year.
    This project has been on and off since its original conception with 4.9?
    I'ts been a learning experience though diving into the shooter game source, learning unreal and I'm quite proud of what I've managed to accomplish so far on my own.

Right now I have the teams, the weighting, pouncing, wall grab/release, stamina, aura + see through walls and view health), grenade, grenade allocation based on player count, and of course knifing. All this on top of the existing shooter code provide for a game of sorts.

I've also started adding physics but its a quite buggy and still a wip. You can grab and toss items but I'm trying to get that feel hidden source has.

Anyways I really wanted to know how yall would feel about all this so that is why I'm sharing.
    The game is really fun. I really wanted to see it updated and modernized which is what motivated me do what I have done.

Sorry for the delayed response but I had paused the project until recently.

Do you have a site or anything where we can check up on the progress?

I've wanted to do something like this myself for a while, but since having a tiny human all my spare time coding time is practically zero so I have to leave my work at work

Maybe when things calm down I could contribute to your project if we're both up for it

Quote Originally Posted by spectre View Post
    Do you have a site or anything where we can check up on the progress?

I've wanted to do something like this myself for a while, but since having a tiny human all my spare time coding time is practically zero so I have to leave my work at work

Maybe when things calm down I could contribute to your project if we're both up for it

Hey spectre, thanks for the offer. Once I get some assets in and a self pleasing release I'll promote the game on IndieDB most likely.
    I would really like artists but at the moment it looks like I'm going to have to stop coding and start learning blender.
    If you want to check out builds I share them in my discord chat https://discord.gg/Z8cTdu3

What experience do you have?

Hey spectre, thanks for the offer. Once I get some assets in and a self pleasing release I'll promote the game on IndieDB most likely.
    I would really like artists but at the moment it looks like I'm going to have to stop coding and start learning blender.
    If you want to check out builds I share them in my discord chat https://discord.gg/Z8cTdu3

What experience do you have?
    Cheers, I'll keep an eye on discord.

Re:experience, I've been in the industry for about 7 years, currently I'm a network programmer for Creative Assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by spectre View Post
    Cheers, I'll keep an eye on discord.

Re:experience, I've been in the industry for about 7 years, currently I'm a network programmer for Creative Assembly.
    Ha great! Well you have more experience than I, so if you ever feel like hopping in it would be an honor.