Thread: Game Crashes Entire Computer for (Seemingly) No Reason

Default Game Crashes Entire Computer for (Seemingly) No Reason

Alright, I've tried researching this quite a bit, and haven't found a single fix that works/is directed at the problem I'm having (as in, there are a few "fixes," I haven't tried, but I don't exactly want to try them without knowing if they're directed at people who simply have their game or entire computer crash on them while playing). Alright, so, the game, at first, seems to run perfectly on my computer. Frames are around 60 at almost all times, computer doesn't seem to overheat (though, I've never really gone out of my way to check, but from what I know, it doesn't), and overall the game runs very smoothly. But, depending on how many other programs I'm running and what I'm doing to help out my computer, my computer suddenly shuts down completely, in anywhere from 15-35 minutes into playing the game. I've validated Steam files and, like I said, researched extensively for a fix, but I haven't really found anyone else with this problem. (And yes, I have researched using this game in specific as well as Source SDK 2006). It may be a problem with Source, because the exact same problem happens with Team Fortress 2, but I haven't found any fixes really. Any help?

A large rock orbiting a larger ball of fire

It just shuts down? Could be too small of a power supply. This sounds more like a hardware problem than something that would be software if it happens this often.
    Use the search function for questions-It really works!

Quote Originally Posted by ado921 View Post
    It just shuts down? Could be too small of a power supply. This sounds more like a hardware problem than something that would be software if it happens this often.
    Well, it is a laptop, but when I start playing the game the charge is at 100% and I keep it plugged in at all times. I'll play the game later and tab out about 15 minutes in to see what my charge is at, but I wouldn't think that would be the problem.
    EDIT: Oh, and on top of that, I don't see why this game, of all games, would be the one to task my power supply. I've played games much more, well, tasking, and, although they lag a bit, my computer's never just shut off/ran out of power.
    Last edited by SuperChobot; 14th March 2013 at 12:21.