Thread: hdn_hotel

Default hdn_hotel

The scale is a little bit off but I really can't be bothered to do the map over, so let's pretend the unusual proportions were intentional to make it subtly unsettling.

Download

The areas: Entrance, Eatery, Great Hall, Lobby, Hospitality, Technical Room, and Stairwell.

Basically I appreciate all new maps as the mapperwill use critic to improve your map;
    as you said you not gonna work the map over what do you expect?
    The map is below your skill, even though the map idea isn not bad...

improve the details and think of what certain stuff is useful for; ie hallway with the room doors ; for what is the socket for?
    It's not uncommon that hotels have medium large hallways i.e 96-128
    The 4 light bubls in the last picutre a a bit boring these bulbs are ok as lnog as they are single; there is a nice lamp prop from hdn_decay which u can use.
    The supports looks nice and break up the ceiling really well
    the "bar" should get higher usually at 40-48.
    What is the huge horizontal tank in the last picture for?

Greetings xufe
    Mapping Portfolio:
    http://gamebanana.com/members/903388

Microsoft Urban Assault RTS/FPS freeware game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja55b...ature=g-user-u

Quote Originally Posted by Xufe View Post
    Basically I appreciate all new maps as the mapperwill use critic to improve your map;
    as you said you not gonna work the map over what do you expect?
    The map is below your skill, even though the map idea isn not bad...

improve the details and think of what certain stuff is useful for; ie hallway with the room doors ; for what is the socket for?
    It's not uncommon that hotels have medium large hallways i.e 96-128
    The 4 light bubls in the last picutre a a bit boring these bulbs are ok as lnog as they are single; there is a nice lamp prop from hdn_decay which u can use.
    The supports looks nice and break up the ceiling really well
    the "bar" should get higher usually at 40-48.
    What is the huge horizontal tank in the last picture for?

Greetings xufe
    I agree with Xufe on this one

The 4 lamps in the last picture look kind of... Rushed onto the scene, having 1 of them placed directly in the center would look a bit creepier, and give the Hidden a safe zone away from the lights, or you could do what Xufe said and use the lamp decor from hdn_decay

Also I think the tank might be there because it's the basement? And Hotels usually have there Propane Tanks (If they're used) in a place that only employees can only get to.

While I admire your levels of output and general creativity, you really do need to work on the map's aesthetics.

You're making pretty much everything out of brush work, which I'll be the 1st to admit it gets the job done, but it also ends up looking like you're mapping for the HL1 engine. Everything is disproportionately large/blocky so caries a sense of unreal-ness to it.

I know getting the right model is hard, especially when you only really get a bunch of industrial complex and scifi models, but you should really start to think about using the finer details available.
    Custom HUD
    Radio Menu
    Demo Key
    Hidden:SourceMod
    Hydrogen is a colorless, odorless gas,
    that when left alone in suffucient quantities
    for sufficient time, will think about itself.

I know the map is pretty lackluster, but to make it how I'd like I'd have to do it over with the scale of things a bit different. Which I might do, later on. But once I realized how off it was I pretty much lost interest in making it all polished and fancy. I hoped to put it out there so maybe it wouldn't be entirely useless, maybe it'll give someone inspiration or somthing.

Quote Originally Posted by madk View Post
    I know the map is pretty lackluster, but to make it how I'd like I'd have to do it over with the scale of things a bit different. Which I might do, later on. But once I realized how off it was I pretty much lost interest in making it all polished and fancy. I hoped to put it out there so maybe it wouldn't be entirely useless, maybe it'll give someone inspiration or somthing.
    Awww now don't give up that easy, I've had plenty of times in my game where I'm pulling out my hair trying to do something even when I know that just about know one is going to play the game, I always finish an update for the people who do play

The map isn't that bad, all it really needs is a few tweaks here and there and then it might be a very good map to play on