b1

Changelog
    Spoiler:
    b2:
    Added the "Tunnels" and "Shop" portions of the map
    Improved the lighting in some spots
    Tweaked the corner of the platform where the shop is
    Added a few much needed player clips
    Last edited by madk; 5th November 2012 at 21:20.

Well someone's been productive!

From the screenshot, i'm liking the general theme. However i'm a bit worried about all the excess darkness. If you've played much of hdn_manor then you'll know what i mean.

I'll give this and underground a play through when i get home.

Though naming them as final maps is a bad idead in i itial releases. If you need ti release fixes you'll need to release things like. hdn_subway_fixed and such.. so best to release as ..._b1 etc

E: now that i've played through it...

It certainly is only for a limited number of players. The map is TINY. This isn't that great of an idea given the general player counts. Why not just double down and put 2 platforms adjacent with connecting corridors and whatnot.
    Could even go as far as to split up the IRIS spawns between 2 main entrances. If you do that, please be careful though as the spawn points are cycled incrementally. So remove all of them then re-add them one at a time on opposite sides of the map so you get an even spacing among players.

Some issues I found on my quick play through:

All those vents and no output? Sound? Steam? The even popular heat-vapour?
    Spoiler:

I think you forgot your light source:
    Spoiler:

A bit too chunky and bland for my taste. Narrow up the edges and add some hand-rails. Same for that top bridge. Remember: Safety first!
    Spoiler:

It's too big to camp, and if you doubled up on the platforms you could open up both sides for some cashier flinging fun.
    Spoiler:

Are these supposed to be seats? pretty cold and space consuming if you ask me. If they're generators then umm... why?
    Spoiler:

Gravity is your friend. The dirt should slope out a lot more i think. I'd replace it with some proper rubble (caved in roof) and maybe toss in some train wreckage? A hobo-fire maybe? As is it's a rather boring 'nope, map ends here'. Could also use a bit of a pass-through. Perhaps another way to access that 2nd set of platforms i've been banging on about above.
    Spoiler:

Give a bit more head-room here so the hidden can just walk along or crouch-pounce. At the moment when crouched you get wedged in there so it's pretty slow going. Just raise the bridge by 16~32 units so he can pounce.
    Spoiler:

Everything that could the throwable, should be throwable. You'll need to set the massScales on a lot of stuff to 0.35 or something but frankly that's preferable to not being able to kill someone with a trashcan:
    Spoiler:

One gets stuck in here... player_clip to the rescue?
    Spoiler:

or ditch the column entirely and...

Last but certainly not least, how about spacing out the carriages a bit. Having those gaps just wide enough for 1 player to squeeze through would open up the map a lot. Yeah, you'll probably need to add some BSP coupler or something to make it look non-crap but I think it would be a useful addition to such a small map where the hidden already reigns supreme... barring that long hallway to nowhere...
    Spoiler:
    Last edited by Paegus; 4th November 2012 at 13:27.
    Custom HUD
    Radio Menu
    Demo Key
    Hidden:SourceMod
    Hydrogen is a colorless, odorless gas,
    that when left alone in suffucient quantities
    for sufficient time, will think about itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Paegus View Post
    From the screenshot, i'm liking the general theme. However i'm a bit worried about all the excess darkness. If you've played much of hdn_manor then you'll know what i mean.
    I didn't change the lighting very much. I actually think that darkness (just not pitch blackness) is underused. The lack of light was a conscious decision.

Though naming them as final maps is a bad idead in i itial releases. If you need ti release fixes you'll need to release things like. hdn_subway_fixed and such.. so best to release as ..._b1 etc
    It is done

It certainly is only for a limited number of players. The map is TINY. This isn't that great of an idea given the general player counts. Why not just double down and put 2 platforms adjacent with connecting corridors and whatnot.
    I added a bit more in terms of area but not quite so much as another platform. I think it should be large enough now to be practical, but just barely. (I prefer smaller maps.)

All those vents and no output? Sound? Steam? The even popular heat-vapour?
    Added sound

I think you forgot your light source:
    Fixed it

A bit too chunky and bland for my taste. Narrow up the edges and add some hand-rails. Same for that top bridge. Remember: Safety first!
    I think it looks pretty spiffy myself

It's too big to camp, and if you doubled up on the platforms you could open up both sides for some cashier flinging fun.
    By principle I try to avoid making rooms that are only accessible by one relatively small entrance. However, as a result of reworking the map, it has been opened up.

Are these supposed to be seats? pretty cold and space consuming if you ask me. If they're generators then umm... why?
    I've done away with them

Gravity is your friend. The dirt should slope out a lot more i think. I'd replace it with some proper rubble (caved in roof) and maybe toss in some train wreckage? A hobo-fire maybe? As is it's a rather boring 'nope, map ends here'. Could also use a bit of a pass-through. Perhaps another way to access that 2nd set of platforms i've been banging on about above.
    I changed the appearance of it a bit and I expanded the map from there, meaning it actually leads somewhere now.

Give a bit more head-room here so the hidden can just walk along or crouch-pounce. At the moment when crouched you get wedged in there so it's pretty slow going. Just raise the bridge by 16~32 units so he can pounce.
    I added another 16 units to the gap.

Everything that could the throwable, should be throwable. You'll need to set the massScales on a lot of stuff to 0.35 or something but frankly that's preferable to not being able to kill someone with a trashcan:
    It is done

One gets stuck in here... player_clip to the rescue?
    It's fixed

Last but certainly not least, how about spacing out the carriages a bit. Having those gaps just wide enough for 1 player to squeeze through would open up the map a lot.
    Actually, that the gaps are large enough for that, I closed them with a player clip. As you might be able to figure from the silly amount of measures I take to make the Hidden as mobile as possible, my personal preference is that the maps that are the most fun are the ones where the terrain drastically favors the Hidden. (I dislike Sewers, I positively adore Eminence.)

And I'll add a download link for the newer version once I've actually given it a bit of testing.
    edit: And it's up. I'd really value more feedback on it!
    Last edited by madk; 5th November 2012 at 21:20.

Ok here is are part of my thoughts:

Changes textures! There is no variation at all. Though the general map color is ok for a Subway station.

What are these metal plates for? Do you know how much these things would weigh with that wall size? Why are they there?
    Remember you need reasons for most stuff and it will look good automatically

Add more physics: Physics is the stuff that makes hidden a lot funnier.

The trusses should get some metal struts on it. You will rarley see supports being made out of cinderblocks. They are most likely steel/concrete mixes.

What is that shop for?
    Maybe add some glass windows so it looks more like an shop.

Google images of a real subwaystation! Look at it and change it's style a bit.
    You have made a neat entrance, this looks ok.

Add some metal beams to the broken ceilings. Metal Trusses for the ceilngi in general look better and break up the rooms.

Raise the ceiling for the trains. That's far to narrow. Think of the where the air should go if a subway moves with 50mp/h .

The cave-in door looks neat, but I would give the stairs some love.

Why are there some holes in the ceiling? (Where hidden spawns. I.e.: You can change that by adding some pipes and some broken vent stuff.
    Vents in general are a good idea.
    Remember you are below earth and somehow you need fresh air.

This map needs a lot of love.

Here are some genreal HL2 tutorials on how to do stuff etc:
    http://www.interlopers.net/tutorials...al_Half-Life_2
    Mapping Portfolio:
    http://gamebanana.com/members/903388

Microsoft Urban Assault RTS/FPS freeware game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja55b...ature=g-user-u