Thread: hdn_underground

Default hdn_underground

Download

hdn_underground is a ruin of an installation which, as the title might suggest, is located underground. Corridors are collapsed, earth has found its way into the rooms, and there's rubble strewn across the ground. IRIS has reason to believe the patient may be positioned inside. The areas are Central Control, Observatory, Storage A and Storage B, Generator Wing, Power Node, and Thoroughfare. There are lots of dark nooks and crannies for the hidden to perch in but also a lot of good ground for IRIS to get a foothold in. I'm hoping this will be as much fun to play as it was to make!

Last edited by madk; 4th November 2012 at 17:28.

Your map seems a bit stuffed with "crap".

Above average custom hidden map, seems solid and playworth.
    Realism is not that high; for what is that truss for, and the glass?

Maybe you can add some details in the 3rd picture seems a bit empty.
    Mapping Portfolio:
    http://gamebanana.com/members/903388

Microsoft Urban Assault RTS/FPS freeware game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja55b...ature=g-user-u

Quote Originally Posted by Xufe View Post
    Your map seems a bit stuffed with "crap".

Above average custom hidden map, seems solid and playworth.
    Realism is not that high; for what is that truss for, and the glass?

Maybe you can add some details in the 3rd picture seems a bit empty.
    Thanks very much for the feedback!

As to the truss, there are indeed trusses throughout the level which (presumably) function as supports. The windows do actually have things behind them but because they're purely cosmetic I chose not to include screenshots of them. Regardless, realism was not a priority. As to the room shown in the third picture, it is probably the least decorated of the rooms but it isn't quite so plain as that screenshot lets on, just that corner.

It looks like it could quite a fun map. I love how the hidden has lots of above ground access available pretty much everywhere. Lots of places to runaway and hide to recoup some stamina.

I'd recommend lowering some of the trusses and such though as not all players are able to get on them in a single pounce up.

There is one main issue that cannot be ignored: There are no vis leafs in this map...
    Spoiler:

...while it's great for aura view, this means that performance on some machines will plummet when you're looking in from the outskirts of the map.

Beyond that...

The connecting corridors really need to be >2x player widths wide so that people can fit past each other without too much effort.. I know that makes them a bit big but it'll make it much less TK-friendly when you're boxed in for whatever reason.

There are a lot of oddly light or out of place textures.
    Spoiler:

Some oddly proportioned consoles at IRIS spawn:
    Spoiler:

Some gravity defying or magically 'there' dirt piles:
    Spoiler:

And finally, at least from my quick runthrough, a little bit of player_clip goes a long way to stop you from getting stuck.
    Spoiler:

Custom HUD
    Radio Menu
    Demo Key
    Hidden:SourceMod
    Hydrogen is a colorless, odorless gas,
    that when left alone in suffucient quantities
    for sufficient time, will think about itself.

Thanks a ton for the feedback, on this and the other topic. I will definitely improve a lot of that.