Thread: My server refuses to allow my friends to connect to it!

Default My server refuses to allow my friends to connect to it!

Hello, I just got here, so I hope this is in the right place. I have been having problems with my server, and I'm pretty sure I set it up all correctly. I can connect to my server, but only through LAN, and when my friends try to connect they get a "Server not responding" error. I also get the error when I try to connect through my external IP. Here is what's in my server.cfg:

// voice support
    sv_voiceenable 1
    sv_alltalk 1

// Maximum 35 minutes between map changes
    mp_timelimit 20

// round timer
    mp_roundtime 600

// hidden round limit
    hdn_hiddenrounds 3

// FF off
    mp_friendlyfire 1

// Hostname
    hostname "Nipples"

//Allow DLing
    sv_allowdownload

//Death Notices
    hdn_deathnotices 1

sv_lan 0

The ports I have forwarded are: 27000-27070, 1200, 4832, 4380.
    I have made sure that the same ports are forwarded in my windows firewall, and have totally allowed srcds through it. I launch srcds with a shortcut that reads: C:\srcds\srcds.exe -console -game hidden +map hdn_docks -maxplayers 9 -autoupdate

I hope that is enough, if it's not, feel free to ask if you need more info, and if you have any info that may help me, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

the only port you need to forward is the specified server port that defaults to 27015.
    If it's still rejecting players then...
    -the server has bound to the wrong IP address. Make sure it binds to the computer's internal IP that it uses to talk to the router. Usually 192.168.x.x, 172.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x
    -you've forwarded a port to an ip address that's assigned automatically. most residential routers don't forward ports to addresses in the DHCP range as those addresses can change, defeating the point.
    -you've not forwarded the port as udp
    -you've got a router and a gateway (modem that contains a router) which means you need to forward the ports on both devices. once from the internet to your router, and once from the router to your computer.
    Custom HUD
    Radio Menu
    Demo Key
    Hidden:SourceMod
    Hydrogen is a colorless, odorless gas,
    that when left alone in suffucient quantities
    for sufficient time, will think about itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Paegus View Post
    the only port you need to forward is the specified server port that defaults to 27015.
    If it's still rejecting players then...
    -the server has bound to the wrong IP address. Make sure it binds to the computer's internal IP that it uses to talk to the router. Usually 192.168.x.x, 172.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x
    -you've forwarded a port to an ip address that's assigned automatically. most residential routers don't forward ports to addresses in the DHCP range as those addresses can change, defeating the point.
    -you've not forwarded the port as udp
    -you've got a router and a gateway (modem that contains a router) which means you need to forward the ports on both devices. once from the internet to your router, and once from the router to your computer.
    I tried the one port, and it didn't work, so I just decided to do all the possible ports.
    If I use my server's internal IP address, it gives me some crap about how there's no dedicated UDP port.
    I know I forwarded the port as UDP, because I did all of those as both UDP and TCP.
    I set up a static IP address, so the IP was not signed automatically.
    I have no clue what you were going on about with your last point.
    Also: My Minecraft server works fine, and I know how to do this stuff pretty well, but can't even think of what the problem could be.

the usual internet connection looks something like...
    the internet <---> your modem <---> your router <---> your computer
    or
    the internet <---> your gateway (a modem with a built in router) <---> your computer

if you happen to have a slightly messy setup of say...
    the internet <---> your gateway (a modem with a built in router) <---> your router <---> your computer

then you will need to forward the ports on your gateway to your router, then forward the port on your router to your computer.

I don't know how minecraft works though but it shouldn't be too different.
    Custom HUD
    Radio Menu
    Demo Key
    Hidden:SourceMod
    Hydrogen is a colorless, odorless gas,
    that when left alone in suffucient quantities
    for sufficient time, will think about itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Paegus View Post
    the usual internet connection looks something like...
    the internet <---> your modem <---> your router <---> your computer
    or
    the internet <---> your gateway (a modem with a built in router) <---> your computer

if you happen to have a slightly messy setup of say...
    the internet <---> your gateway (a modem with a built in router) <---> your router <---> your computer

then you will need to forward the ports on your gateway to your router, then forward the port on your router to your computer.

I don't know how minecraft works though but it shouldn't be too different.
    That modem/gateway stuff is not a problem. I'm unsure what the server is doing, but I'm pretty sure it's not my router that's the problem. It only works on LAN, and I made sure to set that option to allow non-LAN play... Any more ideas?

Try setting your PC to DMZ mode on the Router to test it.

Also get your Internet IP from whatismyip.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
    Try setting your PC to DMZ mode on the Router to test it.

Also get your Internet IP from whatismyip.com
    Thanks so much! it was the DMZ!

The DMZ basically forces all port data to your PC only. Not the safest thing to use on a long basis.
    But, it also proves your port forwarding was not setup properly.

I would highly suggest getting your ports setup right then disabling the DMZ.
    What you have done should only be a temporary fix on a security perspective.