Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Community Sourcebans Project

Post Community Sourcebans Project

As the original our database host has folded in, J Wall has kindly stepped in taken over hosting the community ban list.

The new website is over at http://bans.ptga.me/

Big thanks to J Wall for stepping in and providing our server owners and admins with some peace of mind while we go about our daily lives, leaving the servers to fend for themselves.

The database in use was a backup from around the end of March so anything happened since then (a ban or become admin) it may be missing.

---- Original Post ----

So Master of Puppets and I have decided to try out opening up our servers' SourceBans cross-server admin and ban management tool to the masses... of server admins anyway. Ideally this will create a single ban-list that spans multiple contributing servers and also provide a pool of relatively responsible server admins that may be able to waltz into a given set of servers and screw wi.... err I mean preform their adminy duties.

Ideally participating servers will all be running some sort of anti-cheat software like SourceMod Anti-Cheat as well as running at least the minimal sv_pure settings similar to those in place on Clandestine Cake.

Also please keep in mind that as the ban list is global, we must ask all participating server admins to exercise both restraint and moderation.

Do not ban for frivolous reasons.

If you are banning someone for something in more of a grey area or that is likely to be contested, please record a demo first and submit that as zipped file so if they protest the ban there is evidence.
    To record a demo:
    Spoiler:
    • Open your console with the ` (accent) key, usually above TAB or to the left of the number 1.
    • In the console, type record DEMONAME where DEMONAME is somewhat descriptive, like 20120929PaegusBeingATwatYetAgain
    • Type status to get a list of all players and steamids recorded in the demo
    • Observe the ban-worth behaviour
    • Type stop in the console to stop recording

Once the community gets rolling I'd also like all the server owners to post their servers' current set of rules that their admins try to abide by so that ALL contributing servers can then present that same set. If one server doesn't care about team-killing but another one has it insta-perma-ban, then the point of contributing to the cross-server ban-list starts to become muddied. We'd like all servers to meet on some common ground.

Currently participating servers Updated 2013/06/07:
    Last edited by Paegus; 7th June 2013 at 08:54.
    Custom HUD
    Radio Menu
    Demo Key
    Hidden:SourceMod
    Hydrogen is a colorless, odorless gas,
    that when left alone in suffucient quantities
    for sufficient time, will think about itself.

How to join our Hidden Sourcebans Community:

Send a private message to either myself or J Wall containing at least...
    • The server(s) IP:PORT address
    • The server(s) owner's desired login name
    • Said owner's email address
    • Desired password for getting that account set up.
    • A list of your other admins/reserve-slutters w/Name, SteamIDs, emails if possible and desired permission groups

We will then add your server and add at least the main owner(s) to the list of high-level admins with the ability to add admins and edit your server details. When you've logged in you must set your server's RCON password in the server administration panel. This is required to allow sourcebans to do it's thing.

Once the server has been added, download and install the game-addon components for sourcebans from http://code.google.com/p/sourcebans/downloads/list. Then head to the server administration list and note your server(s) id number. See above post for current ids.

You will need to edit the .../addons/sourcemod/configs/sourcebans/sourcebans.cfg file and set:
    Spoiler:
    Code:
    "Website" "http://bans.ptga.me/"
    // ... //
    "ServerID" "#"

where the # is the id for the given server. If you have multiple contributing servers you must set the number differently for each one.

You will also need to edit the .../addons/sourcemod/configs/databases.cfg file to connect to the database, but we will reply via pm or email with the contents of that.

As mentioned above, we would also like to maintain a decent level of cheat-prevention on all contributing servers. This includes using the sv_pure settings, SourceMod Anti-Cheat (Kigen's direct successor) and you will have access to my black-hidden-syndrome checker plugin which you can toggle on players who seem suspicious.
    Last edited by Paegus; 7th June 2013 at 08:58.

There are some limitations to the system that you must be aware of before signing up:
    • The ban list is global for all servers in the system. A player permanently banned from server A for cuss out one of your admins, wont be able to join ANY participating server. Hence the restraint comment above.
    • A given admin can be assigned to a server or group of servers.
    • A given admin won’t have any privileges on servers they're not assigned to but their bans WILL carry across
    • It is not currently possible to have a given admin with different privileges on different servers so if you want me to be an admin on your server, my Full/Root access on Clandestine Cake is coming with me.
    • For security purposes the SourceMod 'z' or 'root' permission will only be available via sourcebans to myself and Master of Puppets. SourceMod plugins that require you to have the z/root permission will have to be modified or you can use your server's rcon_password. Though we would appreciate it if you limit distribution of that password as it opens certain doors.
    • Admin level are mostly predefined. We made them to suite the various roles most admins will fall into. you can assign admins to them as you wish if that admin isn't already in a group for a different server.
    • All Hidden-Source game developers who request it will get at least Reserved access on all participating servers upon request.
    Last edited by Paegus; 2nd October 2012 at 08:35.

Admin permission groups in use:
    Spoiler:

Full:
    • Reserved slot
    • Generic admin
    • Kick
    • Ban
    • Unban
    • Slay
    • Map change
    • Change cvars
    • Run configs
    • Admin chat
    • Start votes
    • Password server

Normal:
    • Reserved slot
    • Generic admin
    • Kick
    • Ban
    • Unban
    • Map change
    • Admin chat
    • Start votes

Basic:
    • Reserved slot
    • Generic admin
    • Kick
    • Map change
    • Admin chat
    • Start votes

Reserved (Elevated):
    • Reserved slot
    • Generic admin
    • Kick
    • Admin chat
    • Start votes

Reserved Slot Only:
    • Reserved slot (yeah really!)

Last edited by Paegus; 29th September 2012 at 18:29.

The current list of available admins is...
    Spoiler:
    Full:
    • Bravo (LinkThemUp owner)
    • J Wall (People That Game owner)
    • Kenneyboy (People That Game)
    • Master of Puppets (Church of Jimmeh owner)
    • Paegus (Clandestine Cake owner)
    • Sniper (Hidden-Cow owner)
    • Wench (Hidden-Cow)

Normal:
    • Biohazard (CoJ & CCake)
    • Bones (CoJ & CCake)
    • Boxy (Developer)
    • Charlie Murphy
    • ChiMaster9098
    • CrystallineXLr8R
    • Digit (CoJ & CCake)
    • Emu
    • Flow (CoJ & CCake)
    • Genre (CoJ, CCake & HC)
    • Ging (Developer)
    • immobilewall
    • Isolation (CoJ & CCake)
    • Mav
    • Miasmic (Developer)
    • Neon
    • Skullard
    • The Dark Prince (CoJ & CCake)
    • Tripwire (CoJ & CCake)

Basic:
    • Mens2000[FIN]
    • Sparks (CoJ, CCake & LTU)

Reserved+:
    • Editē (CoJ & CCake)
    • HeLLsLaYer (CoJ & CCake)
    • Invader Zim (CoJ & CCake)
    • Mayhem (CoJ & CCake)
    • Redeemer (CoJ & CCake)
    • Shape (CoJ & CCake)
    • Sithun (CoJ & CCake)

Reserved:
    • Rush

We don't have contact details for most of you so if you would like, again private message myself or Master of Puppets with your Email address and a temp password and we can enable basic web-access etc.

Note that on the off-chance that the existing permission sets you've given your admins doesn't match any of those listed above then we can either see about adjusting the current sets or we can make some new ones for you if there's just no middle ground.
    Last edited by Paegus; 2nd October 2012 at 08:39.

As site-admins with Web_Root access (currently only MoP & myself) will have the ability to give ourselves (or anyone else) admin access of any type on any server, but we hope you can trust us not to do so intentionally, without you explicitly requesting it first.

If you notice an admin you didn't ask for or add to your server yourself, please let us know immediately.
    If you notice an admin with permissions you didn't ask to be given, please first make sure they're not an admin on one of the other servers and again, let us know.

When joining we will distribute our email addresses to all the server owners. If you have any questions, comments, etc that you don't want aired here in public, please include all the owners (where applicable) in the email and when replying to said emails, please remember to 'reply-all' so everyone can see and contribute to the chain.

Before signing on you'll want to backup your admins and admin-groups cfg files as sourcebans will overwrite those files. If you toss a copy of those files (and their contact details) our way we can add them to sourcebans to minimize interruption during the transition from local to remote administration. Keeping a backup is obviously a good idea anyway, especially if our site goes down momentarily or forever...
    Last edited by Paegus; 2nd October 2012 at 08:41.

For all the new servers that joined and couldn't connect to the DB sry, i wasnt home the whole day and couldnt give you remote access. Now it should all be sorted.

And because of the limited space on hosting we wont be storing the demos for longer periods of time probably. I will see how many demos you guys put there during one month or so and then we will see.

Also we should start the discussion about Server rules. I know the good old "common sense" is nice but everyone has different opinion on what it actually means So let me start:

Permabans: Hacks (with demo tho), Any douche behavior - Repeated intentional TKing, mic spamming even when warned, Racist/offensive nicks
    Everything else can be sorted with slaps and temp bans imho.
    Last edited by Master of Puppets; 29th September 2012 at 19:56.

My HiddenCow servers seem to have not synced with the Sourcebans DB. My bans and admins are not synced with the website.

Any errors? Cause i just recently gave your server remote access to the DB. Change map and try again. Also the fact that your server are US you can get a timeout and it wont even work. Had that once...

I've rehashed the admin databased on most working server as there where several people in the All server group from when it was only CoJ and CCake. If you see anyone in your server's admin list that you don't want, please don't hesitate to let us know and we'll yank them.

That said, the more admins the better frankly. At least once we get some sort of over-arching set of rules on the table so there's no, or at least less, confusion.

On that note, while there is a posted rule in CCake's motd page about being a prat/douche/asshole, etc, I personally don't think this is a valid reason for permanent banning. If he shows up as being a dick or something repeatedly then sure but I'd rather err on the side of caution at least for appearances sake.
    Custom HUD
    Radio Menu
    Demo Key
    Hidden:SourceMod
    Hydrogen is a colorless, odorless gas,
    that when left alone in suffucient quantities
    for sufficient time, will think about itself.