PDA

View Full Version : CONTEST! Find the Dark Hands!

Darkhand
4th October 2008, 10:58
Hi folks! To celebrate our 1 month anniversary, Darkhand's Super Server is holding a special 'Find the Dark Hands' contest!

Anyone who's joined the server has seen this image in the MOTD; it's also my spray which I tend to spam quite often:

http://i35.tinypic.com/2gubaly.jpg

Using custom decal placement I've hidden several permanent versions of this spray around every map in the regular rotation. In addition to your hunt for the Hidden or your rampage against the IRIS on the Darkhand Super Server, you'll have a secondary objective. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find every single one of these sprays! The first person to PM me with the correct number of sprays in each map and report in this thread that they submitted an entry will win the following prizes!

An admin slot on the server!
$50US through Paypal!

To simplify entry, just send a PM to me with the following:

The name of each map, and the number of handprints discovered in it
Your email address
Your SteamID

Then post in the thread that you've submitted an entry.

Should you win, the SteamID you list will be the one added as admin, and the prize money will be sent via paypal to the email address you list. So keep that in mind!

Now for the details of the contest:

Sprays are only in the regular map rotation, not in custom or ovr maps.
You only get ONE (1) attempt! Once you post in this thread with your entry, you don't get another shot if you're wrong. This won't be over in a few days, so take your time!
All sprays are visible from within the regular playing area, but are not necessarily within the regular playing area themselves.
Every map's spray count needs to be correct. Even if you have the count correct on every map except one you're still counted as wrong.
Admin privileges are dependent on you not being a jerk. Abusing admin rights will result in loss of those privileges.
I'm a sneaky bastard, so be equally sneaky when searching.
The server should push the setting to you, but just in case you're not finding any sprays at all, make sure cl_downloadfilter is set to "all". (cl_downloadfilter "all" in console). The total download is less than 2k, don't freak out. Once in a while the decals decide not to show up, but reconnecting seems to fix it.
The contest ends 14 days from the time of this post. If no one has the correct answer at that point, I may or may not extend the contest depending on how close people are or how badly I need the $50 myself. :)
If no one gets the exact answer, the person whos entry is closest (without going over) will still win the admin slot!

So stop on by and play a while! Search for 'Darkhand's Chicago Super Server!' in-game, connect to 216.246.49.243:27015, or simply click here (steam://connect//216.246.49.243:27015) to play right now!

Good luck!

Invader_Zim
4th October 2008, 20:53
When you say "an admin slot on the server" do you mean +admin rights or just reserved slot?

Master of Puppets
4th October 2008, 21:01
Zim thats us server btw...

Invader_Zim
4th October 2008, 21:04
Oh... Chicago is in the US? Didn't know that sorry *.*

(I knew that Puppets :/ I'm just beeing curious)

Invader_Zim
4th October 2008, 21:17
Because i don't think it's that smart to give a random person,
who searched for some hands on some maps admin rights on a server.

(could be an abusive admin)

Darkhand
4th October 2008, 21:28
Actual admin privileges! I can always use more admins. :)

Note the clause in the details however. Abusing the position or being a jerk will lose you the privilege immediately. I'm on most of the time anyway, and I'll be watching the logs closely. Outside admins (what I call peacekeeper admins) can only kick, mute/gag, temp ban, and change the map anyway.

BiPP
4th October 2008, 22:06
I'm not interested sry.
Enjoy all.

Invader_Zim
4th October 2008, 22:48
Well actually acording to my evil plan
to become admin on every single Hidden Source server and become the most powerfull player ever!!!
I should go and search for the hands now... but i think there is enough time and on top of that it's an US server :P

Darkhand
4th October 2008, 23:08
Well actually acording to my evil plan
to become admin on every single Hidden Source server and become the most powerfull player ever!!!
I should go and search for the hands now... but i think there is enough time and on top of that it's an US server :P

I might set up some kind of runner up prize, maybe something like who can find the most obscurely placed hands and provide screenshots, something like that. So even if you don't think you can find them all, give it a shot! :)

Darkhand
5th October 2008, 20:39
Several people have asked what exactly the server's regular rotation actually is. Since maps are all determined by vote now I suppose that's somewhat hard to determine on one's own. :)

The contest maps are:

hdn_stalkyard
hdn_sewers
hdn_docks
hdn_discovery
hdn_executive
hdn_highrise
hdn_derelict
hdn_traindepot

Sniper
6th October 2008, 00:04
So hdn_decay isn't in the regular rotation. Okay.

lcpuche
6th October 2008, 00:54
me wants but me computer is broken typing from crappy mac currently

Darkhand
6th October 2008, 04:41
So hdn_decay isn't in the regular rotation. Okay.

Unfortunately not. :( I love decay and origin but my host company runs their servers on windows. :(

Also: If you're concerned about your entry numbers here in the thread giving away information to the competition, just private message your numbers to me and post in the thread that you've submitted an entry.

PsiPhi
6th October 2008, 05:42
I sent you an entry! 8)

Sniper
6th October 2008, 06:06
I submitted an entry. :D

That was fun!

Darkhand
11th October 2008, 17:00
One week down, one week to go!

New detail:

In case there's no exact winner, the person whos submission is closest to the correct number of hands (without going over, of course) will still be awarded the admin slot! In case of a tie in that situation I'm still deciding how to handle it (duel to the death? rock paper scissors? x-treme poetry recital?). :)

-Silєηt-
11th October 2008, 22:34
ill be looking for sure!

cjdelta04
13th October 2008, 03:14
Ok i believe that i have found all of the sprays but im waiting to give u a direct pm as to how many there are. i added u as a friend. my nmae is [DFL] D3lta 04.

cjdelta04
14th October 2008, 06:41
hey darkhand
i was banned from ur server by some noobs because i was beating them. i tryed to voteban one that was mic spamming. his name was dark with some weird characters in his name. another was p3p3. and the last was some mexican guy they were all speaking spanish but dark could speak english and he was mic spamming so i tryed vote banning him and he said "hey guys lets voteban delta because hes beating us and winning". so if u could please help thx.

Genre
14th October 2008, 07:38
hey darkhand
i was banned from ur server by some noobs because i was beating them. i tryed to voteban one that was mic spamming. his name was dark with some weird characters in his name. another was p3p3. and the last was some mexican guy they were all speaking spanish but dark could speak english and he was mic spamming so i tryed vote banning him and he said "hey guys lets voteban delta because hes beating us and winning". so if u could please help thx.
Votebans are not usually more than a few hours.

By the way, if people are micspamming, just mute them via the player list. It's much simpler. They took to harrassing me about hacking when I physed them a few times. They're just looking for trouble so ignore it.

Darkhand
14th October 2008, 17:22
Yep votebans are currently set for 60 minutes, you should be back by now. I'll check right now and make sure you're unbanned though.

Sorry about that, I'll check the logs and deal with any voteban abuse.

Zabiela
15th October 2008, 03:12
By the way, if people are micspamming, just mute them via the player list. It's much simpler. They're just looking for trouble so ignore it.

Word. I dislike people whining about voicespam almost as much as the spammers themselves.

I'll mute the spammer, then have more spam come from someone complaining (to the silence).

-SM-SUCKER
15th October 2008, 09:20
Word. I dislike people whining about voicespam almost as much as the spammers themselves.

I'll mute the spammer, then have more spam come from someone complaining (to the silence).
I played once with one of those that play terrible music. He told us he was the local dj, and asked if we had a special whish. I asked him to play the macarena, and he actually did! :D
It was fun for some time, playing Hidden, listening to "sunshine-music" like Lambada and similar stuff :)

Darkhand
17th October 2008, 23:17
Contest ends tomorrow! I've extended the deadline a few hours: PM your entries to me before Saturday is over!

Darkhand
19th October 2008, 05:40
Well I see no harm in ending 20 minutes early:

Results are in!!!

Got quite a few entries, but it turns out no one managed to find every decal!!

That means the $50 goes back into my rent budget (woot!), but the person who got the closest will win the consolation admin slot!

The total number of hands in every map is:

Derelict: 3
Discovery: 8
Docks: 13
Executive: 21
Highrise: 7
Sewers: 8
Stalkyard: 6
Traindepot: 7

And that means:

The winner!

Is!

Drumroll........

PSIPHI!

Congratulations! Psiphi only missed 2 decals, 1 in Sewers and 1 in Traindepot. Two of the sneakiest hands are in those maps, I have an idea which ones were missed. :D

The decals will stay up for the foreseeable future, so there's plenty of time for everyone to find the ones they missed. :) Anyone have any screenshots of their findings?

I've updated the server already and Psiphi will have access as soon as the server is empty and I have a chance to restart it.

Thanks to everyone for their entries! I want to do more of this type of thing in the future, so keep an eye out for more contests and special events!

Sniper
19th October 2008, 07:50
Congratz Psiphi! :D

PsiPhi
19th October 2008, 08:01
Thank you Darkhand!

It's people like you that help communities grow and prosper!

Contests like these are fun to do even if there was no prize.

I got all the screen shots for the ones I found... Time to look for the other two I suppose.

Paegus
19th October 2008, 12:08
I've updated the server already and Psiphi will have access as soon as the server is empty and I have a chance to restart it.

sm_reloadadmins will reload the sourcemod's admins.
a map-change will reload mani's

MrBone
2nd November 2008, 04:37
I got kicked off the server because I asked one of the players there about his/her name. The name was ******hunter.

I got even got kicked for "admin disrespect" at one point. Great job admin, keep your shit real..........

*edit*

Sry, the name was ****** bait.

I find that offensive....

Paegus
2nd November 2008, 09:47
what's so offensive about 6-star bait? is that worse than 3-star bait?

posting the date and approx time of the incident will help any admin with log access. otherwise searching through the files is just crap.

Darkhand
3rd November 2008, 21:06
what's so offensive about 6-star bait? is that worse than 3-star bait?

posting the date and approx time of the incident will help any admin with log access. otherwise searching through the files is just crap.

Yep, let me know the approximate date and time and I'll look into it.