PDA

View Full Version : WIP hdn_polar

Sithun
17th September 2008, 15:51
So, some of you guys might have figured out that im terrible at finnishing my maps. But that doesnt stop me from making half-finished maps out of some of the ideas that pop into my mind. Usually, when i start to map on another map, i gain more ideas and inspiration to continue on my old and unfinished projekts. :)

Im currently constructing a map based somewhere far north. 617 has escaped from his cell in a research-facility (in northern Canada, or the north pole) and is lingering the complex. IRIS-soldiers have been sent in to deal with the situation.

The map will feature a room, locked off from the players (but visible on camera), where in a group of scientists have barricaded themselves. I though that when a player walks by, the scientists will utter a short "Hello? Is anyone out there?" or simmilar comments. Its just a cool detail :).

The map will also feature traps. Im still trying to figure out how the gas-trap from hl2, ravenholm, works. The one where you could turn the gas on and off and set it on fire by firing your guns, or just by pushing a button. If you know a tutorial for it, then please link it.

But i have ofcourse run into some trouble. I cant find a single sound for flourescent lighting. You know, just a soft humming sound.

Pics to come.

biohazard-uk
17th September 2008, 16:06
Sounds like a good map, hope it doesnt have polar bears D:

I think I have a flourescent flicker sound but not humming :/

MrBone
17th September 2008, 17:15
Canada? I thought 617 was British? The reason I wondered where you are placing the map is because different countries usually have either 60 hertz or 50 hertz frequency power lines. Fluorescent lights double that frequency when powering the lights.

I found some 50/60 hertz hums at wiki, played at double speed and with some filtering+EQ they could work out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_hum

As a little side note, fluorescent lamps can cause radio noise, usually identifiable turning on and off the lights. I've heard it a few times even on "professional" wireless mics.

Mindgames
17th September 2008, 18:04
Sounds like a very nice idea, finish this one ; >

Cheesey
18th September 2008, 07:48
Cool idea! I especially like the idea with the scientists, brings a lil bit more life into this game of death.

I also would be glad if you could finish this map. Or all the others you've started ;)

Euphoria
19th September 2008, 15:54
Is the gas trap for the room with the scientists? Even if you're separated from them, I think you should still have some say in if they live or die :D.

Sithun
21st September 2008, 09:31
@ Euphoria: Interesting idea. I should have to think about that. Althou the gas-trap that im thinking of will not have the purpose of gasing ppl to death, but rather to get ignited and burn passerby's to death. But yea, i should give to option, that if you turn some levers and wheels, then you will be able to fill the room with deadly gas. :)
But ill see whether ill implement the option to kill them or not...

@ MrBone: Thanks for the info. Ill give it a shot. If it turns out good ill put it in the map. :)

@ biohazard-uk: I cant promise it wont have polar-bears. :D

biohazard-uk
21st September 2008, 09:51
@ biohazard-uk: I cant promise it wont have polar-bears.

aww D:

Maybe you could make it like Outpost #31 in The Thing (film)? D:

Demented
21st September 2008, 12:07
@ Euphoria: Interesting idea. I should have to think about that. Althou the gas-trap that im thinking of will not have the purpose of gasing ppl to death, but rather to get ignited and burn passerby's to death. But yea, i should give to option, that if you turn some levers and wheels, then you will be able to fill the room with deadly gas. :)

That's a neat idea for the trap. Aside from pipebombs, only the IRIS can activate it, but the Hidden can trick them into firing. Sadistically appropriate for this mod. :D

Sithun
22nd September 2008, 20:52
The env_microphone cant hear bullet-impacts in Hidden: Source! Thus i cant make a fire trap that gets ignited by gunfire! Isnt this getting fixed in b5?

The way it is now, the trap can only get ignited by a button, or a pipebomb. And that sucks.

Can anyone think of a workaround?

The setup im using:
http://www.twhl.co.za/vault.php?map=2620

Paegus
22nd September 2008, 21:06
invisible button that only reacts to bullet damage?

Sithun
22nd September 2008, 21:18
I was thinking along a similar pattern. Hopefully, i can make it react to only bullets, and not to explosions. Then it will behave similary to a env_mic.

Still, making it possible for the env_mic to pick up on richochets and gunfire in b5 would be great.

Paegus
22nd September 2008, 21:52
hmm it's probably something to do with the lack of bullet_impact event firing...

though the invisible button on the floor that only reacts to damage works ok. though firing IN the vents might need some work.

Demented
22nd September 2008, 22:30
Env_microphone is for sound with cameras, I don't think it's meant to be a sensor.

Didn't they use env_firesensor for the gas traps in Ravenholm?

Paegus
23rd September 2008, 09:53
the demo map linked has both, but the gunfire still doesn't trigger it.

Cyborg
24th September 2008, 03:52
maybe make some sort of tank that must be shot so that flame bursts out and THEN ignites the floor? Like a gas pipe or something. You might be able to figure out something with a model in the mix.

Sithun
4th October 2008, 11:40
Problem has been solved with an invisible button aprox. one inch above the floor that, once shot or otherwise damaged, sets tha flames on fajja! Works as intended, but gunshots inside the cloud of gas does not set it on fire. :/

[TSAT]Flow
4th October 2008, 12:10
I don't know anything about mapmaking, but can't you just stretch that button over the entire room and make it not collide with anything?

biohazard-uk
4th October 2008, 12:19
Solid :(

[TSAT]Flow
4th October 2008, 12:43
Just put those button on the wall/ceiling too, the sparks that would make the gas start burning are created when the bullet hits the wall anyway, right?

Paegus
4th October 2008, 13:37
have a bullet fly THROUGH a cloud of gas wont ignite it. have a bullet fired IN the cloud could, which i believe was his original intent.

i can't think of a good way to fake that though. especially with the 303 which uses compressed gas propelled projectiles. can the damage filter ignore 303/bolt hits or are they considered bullets?

Sithun
7th October 2008, 11:20
I dont know how to damage-filter the button like that, in fact, i dont know how to filter at all. :P.

But the env_mic doesnt sepperate between different guns, it just registers if a weapon fires within its vicinity. So even if that worked, it wouldnt solve the issue.

In the issue considering the darts being considered bullets or not, they seem to be considered bullets.

It seems like the difference between this trap and the one in hl2 is going to be that it wont be ignited by gunfire occuring inside the gas cloud, but it will only ignite by richochets and bullet, or pellet, impact.