PDA

View Full Version : Shadows and mappers

-SM-SUCKER
5th August 2008, 10:01
I'm sure you have all seen in it. Shadows beeing cast through solid walls/ceilings. I had this idea a while ago, but didn't bother enough to post it.
I don't really know how the shadow thing works, but if you put in another empty space in the walls/floors, would the shadow be on one of those "inner walls".
I'm talking about putting some air into the walls and ceilings. I hope you understand what I mean.

Phaedrus
5th August 2008, 11:18
I've never tried that, but it may work.

Ging
5th August 2008, 16:13
I'm sure you have all seen in it. Shadows beeing cast through solid walls/ceilings. I had this idea a while ago, but didn't bother enough to post it.
I don't really know how the shadow thing works, but if you put in another empty space in the walls/floors, would the shadow be on one of those "inner walls".
I'm talking about putting some air into the walls and ceilings. I hope you understand what I mean.

my understanding of the compile process makes me think that this might not work - or if it did, it'd make the compile take quite a lot longer.

Worth a go though.

biohazard-uk
5th August 2008, 21:16
Indeed, it'll be longer to compile and might increase the file size. No brush entities between the walls, that can help this?

Demented
5th August 2008, 21:30
The way they're generated, I doubt you can stop the shadows with an insulated layer. (If there's no entity in that empty space and no opening to the outside world, it will also be ignored and made solid.)

Good mapping principle should prevent the shadow problem. Make rooms so there's a good few feet between them (in wall thickness) and optimize your map so that players on the other side of a wall aren't rendered. If all else fails, there is also an entity you can use to disable shadows on any surface you choose, which is a brute force way to fix the problem in a troubling spot.