PDA

View Full Version : Stirring the thinking pot :)

siervua
1st June 2008, 19:03
Just tossing out some random mapping ideas.

A funhouse? Might be difficult or not even doable but if you would you can set up the mirrors :)

Going on to other creepy areas, how about a wax museum. That'd be interesting as a map.

Clowns? Anything with clowns. That movie It was disturbing....

We have Cemetery, why not go pre-burial. Forensic labs, morgues...

If any of the ideas interest you please keep me updated! I would love to see the end result.

On that note, when I first started playing Hidden I loved the "scary aspect", now I've lost that scary feeling. (Top Gun jokes start now). Each map just goes into another. True it can't be scary all the time, but I'd like that have that moment every now and then. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Wenchy

biohazard-uk
1st June 2008, 21:44
Some maps give that good effect in hidden, depends on the player really...well, thats what I think.

A morgue map sounds like a good idea for hidden :D

Genre
1st June 2008, 22:31
I like the idea of the morgue/lab. I think it would need a few custom textures and models maybe though.

Paegus
1st June 2008, 22:46
shouldn't be too hard. there are even multiple hidden skins so you can have drawers with failed bodies inside. i have a few areas like that in the ground up rebuild of lockdown (hdn_alpha) that i haven't been particularly arsed to work on. perhaps i'll pick it up again now that i've been made redundant from my paying job...

biohazard-uk
1st June 2008, 23:13
Yeah....theres always those extra skins and models that can be used in maps, so i don't think you would need to use custom textures/models in them...unless you needed clown skins for hidden or IRIS lol! :D :D :D

Isolation
2nd June 2008, 00:10
Wenchy

Wait... when the hell did you actually start visiting the forums?

:D

If only I was in the mood to actually play, I'd break out the tickle feather...

siervua
2nd June 2008, 00:11
Well another idea would be things that we normally see during the day but don't necessarily see at night. They get spooky too.

Like Natural History Museums, zoos, aquariums. Clown Cars. (If they could hold 20 clowns whos to say they can't hold 8 iris and 1 hidden. :P ) j/k on the last one.

And ISO! WTH! Where have you been?! You don't call you don't write. Sheesh.

siervua
2nd June 2008, 00:18
Well one aspect you could take is mid-autopsy with the medical examiner dead (killed by 617) and the body still in mid-examination.

Isolation
2nd June 2008, 00:22
The problem with a forensic lab setting would probably be size. Combine it with a few other things to boost play area. One thing that comes to mind is the funeral home from The Punisher (the PS2/Xbox/PC game, NOT the movie). It had a chapel, "sales floor," meeting rooms, the actual morgue area and bedrooms for the family.

Yeah... that'd probably make a semi-decent map. If only I liked Hammer still.

siervua
2nd June 2008, 00:28
The problem with a forensic lab setting would probably be size.

Well a forensic lab isn't just the autopsy room. It would be as in any other lab, with multiple rooms. You could follow a CSI route and have a mini shooting range (testing projectories?) or whatever tickles your fancy. Just my 2 cents.

TheOtherDante
2nd June 2008, 00:47
fun house sounds good, if the mirrors or placed just right i can image the spining around to just miss the hidden passing just behind him.

Isolation
2nd June 2008, 00:48
Well a forensic lab isn't just the autopsy room. It would be as in any other lab, with multiple rooms. You could follow a CSI route and have a mini shooting range (testing projectories?) or whatever tickles your fancy. Just my 2 cents.

The inherent problem with that is vertical space. You'd need to think of a reason to make it two levels high in some places (617 needs some map love too, after all.)

Ion
2nd June 2008, 00:54
A fun house?

It could be a smaller area of a run-down carnival. Those things are creepy day or night. I hate carnivals.

If it was at night, there would have to be a full moon.

TheOtherDante
2nd June 2008, 03:13
better yet a run down carnival with some tents still open to exploration and open ceilings and stuff, plus it gives good opportunity for tons of phys objects

siervua
2nd June 2008, 04:46
The inherent problem with that is vertical space. You'd need to think of a reason to make it two levels high in some places (617 needs some map love too, after all.)

As in Derelict you could easily make the ceiling have a couple of missing tiles so the hidden can enter. Tada :P

MrBone
2nd June 2008, 13:48
As in Derelict you could easily make the ceiling have a couple of missing tiles so the hidden can enter. Tada :P

Or if there is a room for testing guns you could make it a bit bigger and use it for small explosives as well.

Sithun
9th June 2008, 09:09
better yet a run down carnival with some tents still open to exploration and open ceilings and stuff, plus it gives good opportunity for tons of phys objects

Id imagine that throwing one of those bloody bunny-suits from silent hill 3 at the iris would work.

Better yet, make a silent hill 3 map for H:S.
Lakeside Amusement Park... hdn_lakeside

siervua
9th June 2008, 20:42
Are mirrors even possible in maps?

That would be interesting if they are (not a mapper so please excuse my ignorance).

Hidden in the Hall of mirrors. *shivers*

Paegus
9th June 2008, 21:15
no. in their infinite wisdom valve decided that it would break immersion to walk in front of a really shiny surface and see someone who wasn't YOU looking back. i mean it's not like every piece of HL2 print isn't plastered with pictures of the man... but no it would break immersion to actually see him instead of yourself. at least that's the official excuse for probably just not being able to handle client reflections nicely enough to implement them in-game without the effect being jarring and thus, breaking immersion. which is a shame really even if it would've meant that the graphics system would have to render things twice whenever a mirror was utilized.

and think of the lighting issues.. hah!

this shortcut of theirs also extends to cameras. by default you cannot see yourself on camera because the client doesn't draw its own model. some mods have solved this (dystopia?) so it's not impossible.

biohazard-uk
9th June 2008, 23:18
About the morgue map, about 60% finished a playable abandoned morgue, which also has the different hidden skins used, aswell as a working charge which can be set at the start to make a big hole in wall :D

lcpuche
10th June 2008, 01:31
Wenchy

HOLY CRAP is that you pirate wench!

Demented
10th June 2008, 01:50
at least that's the official excuse for probably just not being able to handle client reflections nicely enough to implement them in-game without the effect being jarring and thus, breaking immersion. which is a shame really even if it would've meant that the graphics system would have to render things twice whenever a mirror was utilized.

Games have been able to do this since dx8, I think. (Actually, dx7!)
I remember seeing a bathroom mirror in America's Army, on the pipeline map, before they removed it. It looked great... I'd use cheats to load myself up with some good-looking weapons and just strut my stuff in front of the mirror. Then they removed it because of performance issues. That was all the more shocking since my Geforce2 MX ran it comfortably. (At least, I think it was a Geforce2, and not a Radeon 8500.)

Funnily enough, they looked better than the pixelized shader-based mirrors of, say, Doom3.

Sithun
10th June 2008, 12:37
Games have been able to do this since dx8, I think. (Actually, dx7!)

Try Duke Nukem 3D...

Paegus
10th June 2008, 16:57
yeah but those mirrors didn't reflect perfectly and there's no way valve would want to do anything less than...

am i right?

siervua
10th June 2008, 19:07
HOLY CRAP is that you pirate wench!

The one and only :)

siervua
10th June 2008, 19:13
Ok so it would've been a cool map. lol

But lets not look down on the creepiness of carnivals.

So many aspects you could go with:

- A map based on the freak show?
- The "Behind the scenes of one of the rides? They could be pretty expansive with all the mechanical aspets of the ride.
- Like Dante suggest just an open area with opened tents. A wonderful phys opportunity.
- Or even a big top with bleachers and random act items (trapezing hidden anyone?)

Wenchy (Who is now going to go read up on everything she can find on mapping)

siervua
10th June 2008, 19:16
About the morgue map, about 60% finished a playable abandoned morgue, which also has the different hidden skins used, aswell as a working charge which can be set at the start to make a big hole in wall :D

ooooooo

I wanna see when done :)

(^) Sangheili Zealot (^)
10th June 2008, 21:08
wench!!!! i didnt know u visited the forums
anyways i always wanted to see a abandoned Cruise ship i loved discovery but i wanna see a boat on water for once open areas outside for some hidden love and close quarters inside night time map of corse

Ging
10th June 2008, 21:40
Discovery was initially at sea, but we found issues with having water in the skybox.

Paegus
10th June 2008, 22:07
you know, if you could you set an env_shake to run really really slowly you might be able to simulate a ship at sea without having to animate the entire map. too bad you can't have anything loose laying around... like barrels or hanging lights though :(

and on that note, for origin's shake, have you tried a continuous one that spends most of its time with 0 amplitude/frequency but gets them cranked up and down on a timer?

(^) Sangheili Zealot (^)
1st July 2008, 05:37
i thought mirrors could not be done in source :confused:

http://www.fpsbanana.com/prefabs/1254

Demented
1st July 2008, 06:50
A. "i thought mirrors could not be done in source"

You thought wrong. (http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Func_reflective_glass) They just can't be done in a pre-2007 (before Orange Box) version of Source.

B. "http://www.fpsbanana.com/prefabs/1254"

That's not a mirror. It's a camera/monitor combo, which, incidentally, looks like a mirror if you have no idea what a mirror looks like.

Paegus
1st July 2008, 07:08
A. "i thought mirrors could not be done in source"

You thought wrong. (http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Func_reflective_glass) They just can't be done in a pre-2007 (before Orange Box) version of Source.

ohhhh... does it work on the player char? that's the primary problem.

though given the portals' functionality a working mirror at this point was almost a given.

i wonder how it renders the hidden :s

B. "http://www.fpsbanana.com/prefabs/1254"

That's not a mirror. It's a camera/monitor combo, which, incidentally, looks like a mirror if you have no idea what a mirror looks like.

yeah, i like how the reflection is looking to the side and all that. really realistic.

Demented
1st July 2008, 07:46
One would assume it works perfectly on the player character - assuming that you give the player character a rendered model. HL2 and most Source mods don't, so you won't see anything. (This doesn't bother me at all, since nobody complains about not seeing their reflection in the water...)

Would be interesting to see how it renders the Hidden.