PDA

View Full Version : IRIS stamina!?

poliq
14th April 2008, 09:27
I think that the well-trained IRIS should have the ability to sprint a short distance! Makes sense! Maybe about the same duration as the hiddens stamina bar gets used up when in aura vision?
Yes! I know! There is the adrenaline! But my idea was that if normal running has a speed of 1, and adrenaline has a speed of 2, then this sprint would make you go in a speed of 1.5 or such.

I also think that after using this sprint (or the adrenaline), if you ran the whole time and the stamina level reaches a critical point, it should be harder to aim straight for a little while. (proportional to the stamina level?) Not much, just the weapon floating a little to add some realism. The IRIS stamina regeneration should be very slow, otherwise it would be just as you had unlimited shots of adrenaline.

Thoughts? :)

Radio Controlled
14th April 2008, 14:36
good idea!
im a menthalist, i say that ging says something like "no" or "no.."

TheOtherDante
14th April 2008, 14:58
maybe adrenline could reduce the amount of stamina used for the sprint.
IE:

normal movement is x and drains with a factor of f, so sprinting is something like 1.5x- ft. when you use adrenline it could increas speed to 2x but drian 3/4 less so 2x-.75ft.

or another idea is that adrenile boosts your base speed and gives and instananous stamina recovery so it can be used as more of a quick escape method.

Paegus
14th April 2008, 15:47
that would defeat the purpose of adrenaline though.

TheOtherDante
14th April 2008, 16:13
adrenile would make your base speed faster, so you'll jog faster than other IRIS and maybe sprint faster than them too. plus with what i siad adrenile would be a good tool to use to get out of a bad situation if it should arise (which im sure it will *lobs pipebomb in one hand*)

Paegus
14th April 2008, 17:13
meh.. to be honest i'd rather have a functional walk key that dulls my footstep sounds so i can sneak up on an unsuspecting hidden.

MrBone
14th April 2008, 17:24
I'd love a sprint key. If it wobbles the screen and drops the gun, no problem.

I don't think I've ever heard IRIS walking up on me on the other hand. I want that as well!

Dagda
14th April 2008, 18:50
I'd love a sprint key. If it wobbles the screen and drops the gun, no problem.
I have to admit, it sounds damn appealing- chasing down a fleeing operative has a definite air of excitement to it.

Paegus
14th April 2008, 20:04
yeah... but that's what adrenaline is for people.

you're basically asking for an adrenaline/LAM combo with out any blurry penalties aren't you? go on admit it...

Phaedrus
14th April 2008, 20:46

you're basically asking for an adrenaline/LAM combo with out any blurry penalties aren't you? go on admit it...

QFT

poliq
14th April 2008, 21:06

I dont know what the oters who replied ment, but I didnt mean that..
I want a penalty to it! If you get a bonus, you should get a penalty. I'd easy sacrifice some aiming if I could sprint without equipping the adrenaline.
I also Think that the stamina regen/penalty should be so slow/hard that you can only do a number of those sprints in one round. Maybe two?

MrBone
14th April 2008, 21:09

Adrenaline goes on and on and on and on. Sprint could wobble the screen like hell and go away a bit after you stop sprinting.

poliq
14th April 2008, 21:32
yeah, maybe.. and on some servers the blurry overlay that comes from adrenaline and nades, sometimes make my screen go black. Kinda sucks tho, cause I like the HDR :)
I dont know why it happens, but it seems to have something with the latency to do.. Would be cool to have the option to sprint with HDR, without getting all blacked out, but the of course there had to be another way to make it harder to aim.. (hard to do?)

Paegus
14th April 2008, 22:17
...sometimes make my screen go black. Kinda sucks tho, cause I like the HDR :)
I dont know why it happens...

HDR is not fully implemented as the code for beta 4b is the same as beta 4(a) and that was built on the old and outdated Half-Life 2 engine that didn't support HDR at all.

if you don't like getting black-blurred, burn hdr off until beta 5 rolls around. the only maps with HDR are decay (which everyone HATES because it's soo soo dark (aka they don't know how to set their gamma)) and origin.

the black-blur happens in other maps because... hdr is broken.

back on topic though...
but your penalty is the same thing that adrenaline does. ok it doesn't really muck with your aim but you can't see much beyond the presence of a wall so your chances of visually targeting the hidden are slim to none.

and the thought of ripping off Insurgency's dash thing is nice and all but with adrenaline you are free to bound in any direction you wish.

poliq
14th April 2008, 22:32
Thx for the answer on the HDR bit.

...but your penalty is the same thing that adrenaline does. ok it doesn't really muck with your aim but you can't see much beyond the presence of a wall so your chances of visually targeting the hidden are slim to none...
If you dont move, its easier, but still difficult, yes! My thought was that only your crosshair would move around a bit, not making the whole screen go *insert word here*.

and the thought of ripping off Insurgency's dash thing is nice and all...

If it is allready been suggested, (and "noed") then I shall say no more.

..Other than I'm sorry for not searching the forums before I posted a suggestion.

Zabiela
15th April 2008, 00:58

And, honestly, what percentage of players use it? A tiny percentage, thats what. And its simply because people dont like it.
It has a small list of pros, and a big list of cons. Its unrealistic anyway- you dont run faster when you inject yourself with adrenaline, infact you start shaking so much it becomes difficult to walk. (inb4 concept of hidden is unrealistic).

Cmon now:
-ability to stop and start the effect
-wobbling screen makes spotting difficult, but leaves door open for "glimpses"
-all players now have ability to rush to teamates in need of help
-more realistic and immersive to see teamates run than to have them magically go faster because of some magical injection

I say get rid of adrenaline, implement sprint.

Ging
15th April 2008, 08:16
We've spent forever slowing the game down, why would we want the team that's supposed to be the slowest moving to all be able to move faster?

MrBone
15th April 2008, 08:53
May it would add to the tension? Hearing half the team get slaughtered a quarter map away makes me wanna run. Sometimes even toward the action ;)

Paegus
15th April 2008, 11:25
thats when you stab the needle in your arm and your vision goes wonky... but you can run faster!

Paegus
15th April 2008, 11:26
thats when you press the button that stabs the needle in your arm and your vision goes wonky... but you can run faster!

poliq
15th April 2008, 11:38
:D nice one!

MrBone
15th April 2008, 12:21
thats when you press the button that stabs the needle in your arm and your vision goes wonky... but you can run faster!

And when you get there your wonky vision makes you useless at seeing what is going on unless you managed to time it exactly right.

How about making the adrenaline last shorter and give more doses?

poliq
15th April 2008, 12:34
... How about making the adrenaline last shorter and give more doses?

Now this idea I like! 5 doses that work for about half the time? A little longer? :)

Phaedrus
15th April 2008, 15:16
In realityland, you couldn't get the 3rd dose in before your heart exploded.

MrBone
15th April 2008, 16:48
In realityland, you couldn't get the 3rd dose in before your heart exploded.

I know. A friend of mine had to check for a heart condition, so they gave him adrenaline gas in larger and larger doses. He told me it was not at all fun, first he got twitchy, then psyched, then he just wanted to sprint/fight/f**k and then he came down. Really hard. His body was twitching and tired, his mind was exhausted. And while the dosing only lasted a few minutes the comedown lasted more than an hour. Lucky for him he didn't have the heart condition they where looking for. They even tested him a total of 4 times to make shure. The condition they where looking for was something with arythmic beats followed by long shutdowns, caused by overexertion. And something where the valves pumped wrong, locking up and pumping at the same time. In real life that would count as an exploded heart.

Multiple adrenaline shots in a game with a lightbending, superstrong main character doesn't seem too weird for my tastes ;)

TheOtherDante
15th April 2008, 18:52
just to be fair in realityland we dont have genetically altered superhumans who are invisible and have a taste for human flesh.

back to topic well i think adreneline is fine and if you want to implement sprint with use of iris stamina than adreneline could be used has a speed boost and stamina recharger. *like i siad before but noone seems to understand that*

-Silєηt-
15th April 2008, 19:51
i say just take out adrenaline shots...

then add in "walk slow" and "run"

nobody really used the adrenaline shots anyways

Zabiela
16th April 2008, 00:27
We've spent forever slowing the game down, why would we want the team that's supposed to be the slowest moving to all be able to move faster?

I had no idea slowing the game down was a goal. If thats so, why was adrenaline implemented in the first place?
If it's purpose was to provide a way to circumvent the "slow gameplay", well sprint does that well, and better! The only difference is that players don't have to sacrifice equipment for it, but trends show almost nobody uses adrenaline, because its really not worth it- what is the point of having a feature over 90% of players dont use?

Currently as iris its hard to stay grouped, because you can't catch up to someone who isnt waiting for you. Sprint would make teamwork easier- finally you can "rush" to someones aid, without the lack of other equipment, and the presence of an annoying predefined blur time.

It would tie in really well with iron sights too. Honestly, I really dont see how sprint is a "bad idea" when you look at adrenaline. Unless its a question of effort vs reward.

Demented
16th April 2008, 00:59
Story.

It doesn't sound like they were looking for a heart condition.

It sounds like they were trying to cause a heart condition! ;)

Regardless, I'm pretty sure Wakefield could handle it.

Ging
16th April 2008, 08:39
I had no idea slowing the game down was a goal. If thats so, why was adrenaline implemented in the first place?

As a means of getting away in a pinch - I'm not sure we've ever really thought about adding a sprint, it's just not something that we've felt was required (I personally don't believe it is now either).