PDA

View Full Version : How long am i gonna wait?

Sithun
29th December 2007, 18:24
How long is it going to take steam/valve to fix the fucking editor? My future education was hanging on the ability to map, and they screwed it up! IT'S BEEN 6 MONTHS! (well, maybe not, but it feels like it.)

Demented
29th December 2007, 21:29
The "-engine ep1" workaround works quite fine for older games.
I hear that the OB version works with the OB games, but I'm not totally sure.

Complain on their official forums, if y'like.

Or, take up mapping for Crysis/UT3.
I can guarantee ya that UT3 mapping will do you a helluva lot better.
Epic loves licensing their engine.

Then again, I suppose it's no good if the teacher can't run the game. =P

Zabiela
30th December 2007, 01:07
Man I'm glad I haven't tried mapping anything since before they fucked it up.

Less for me to worry about eh? :cool:

Shape
30th December 2007, 03:15
The "-engine ep1" workaround works quite fine for older games.
I hear that the OB version works with the OB games, but I'm not totally sure.

Complain on their official forums, if y'like.

Or, take up mapping for Crysis/UT3.
I can guarantee ya that UT3 mapping will do you a helluva lot better.
Epic loves licensing their engine.

Then again, I suppose it's no good if the teacher can't run the game. =P

How do i map for crysis ;D

Demented
30th December 2007, 04:41
The download for the Crysis demo came with the Sandbox2 editor. (Which you had to install seperately, and doesn't like being run from a Program Files folder in Vista.) You can probably find the same somewhere on the Crysis install DVD.

Though, if you can't run Crysis, you'll have no luck at all with the editor. =P
Too bad for me I never got into Far Cry, 'cause now I don't know a thing about working with the Sandbox2 editor.

Sithun
30th December 2007, 12:24
Hmm... I was going to try out Maya, but i still cant understand it. Maping for UT3 might not be such a bad idea. But i have to actually buy the game for that. :)

Donat
2nd January 2008, 18:31
You don't use maya to map! Maya is to model objects and rocks and trickets... If you've ever used any other system for modeling maya ain't that hard, each one just has its own features.

I have yet to see this "screw up" in hammer or maybe i haven't used it for a while.

Sithun
3rd January 2008, 11:12
You don't use maya to map! Maya is to model objects and rocks and trickets... If you've ever used any other system for modeling maya ain't that hard, each one just has its own features.

I have yet to see this "screw up" in hammer or maybe i haven't used it for a while.

Hilarious. You actually think i want to use maya to map for hidden? That made my day. :D

Im going to try and enter the -engine ep1 command and see if it works out better. I it does, i have wasted several months worth of mapping-time. :(

Demented
3rd January 2008, 12:09
I read that -engine orangebox is necessary for Portal/TF2/Ep2, but won't work with anything else.

(I wonder if there's a secret "license the Source engine and recieve a bug-free version of the Source SDK! Only $14,999, before royalties!" page.)