PDA

View Full Version : Small suggestion to counter b-hopping

Digit*
27th October 2007, 08:21
Now i'm pretty sure the dev's are already figuring out their own ways to counter this (or have already implemented it into the beta5 testings).

Anyhow here goes: Implement a delay feature in between jumps (only while crouched though seeing you need to crouch in order to bunnyhop)of like half a second or so. It won't be a drastic change since half a second "wait time" in between jumps is laughable, but it will be just enough to completely slow down b-hoppers since the whole point of hopping is precise timing when you're gonna initiate your next jump. So when you jump and land you gotta wait 0.50 seconds before you can jump again but you will have lost too much speed to continue your bunny imitation.

Just a thought, hope it shows a viable method of countering exploiters.

Daedalus
27th October 2007, 08:24
(only while crouched though seeing you need to crouch in order to bunnyhop)

Not really, crouching is so that you don't hit your head on the doorframes.

Mayhem
27th October 2007, 08:35
+ 0.5 sec is the time to wait, if you want to have a succesful bhop, without using any helping methods. Old school. Still bhopping is lame and only for games like cs. Theres no place for bhoppers in H:S.

Thank you. No flaming intended.

-SM-SUCKER
27th October 2007, 10:24
Don't worry Digit, it's already in the makes. At least we had some discussion going on in the Hiddenites section.

Digit*
28th October 2007, 07:31
Don't worry Digit, it's already in the makes. At least we had some discussion going on in the Hiddenites section.

Thanks for that, all i needed to know :)

Mr. Bottomhat
2nd November 2007, 18:03
In the 2+ years I've played this mod I've never once had problems with bunny hoppers.

Paegus
2nd November 2007, 18:18
as in...
-you do it yourself?
-you don't care when people do it?
-you've never noticed/seen anyone actually doing it?
-they've never done it to a point where you felt disadvantaged because "your noob ass can't"?
-etc

Hannibal
2nd November 2007, 19:05
aaah, another bunnyjumping thread...

first of all I must spend a minute laughing...

all right, so, bunnyjumping... I understand why some people don't like it, maybe they think it's unrealistic, they can't do it themself, they think it's cheating or as Ging would say: "it's an unfair advantage". Let me explain, bunnyjumping is only jumping, you press space. (as long you don't use a script or anything, and I don't.)

so why shall we try to remove it? don't ask me, I don't know. hehu.

/Hannibal, call me bunnyjumpingcheatinghaxscripingteleportingexploiti ngfagnoob if you want too...

Digit*
2nd November 2007, 19:33
Okay, i will...

"Hannibal = bunnyjumpingcheatinghaxscripingteleportingexploiti ngfagnoob :)"

Anyhow, this was discussed once and if you still don't see the reasons why b-hopping is so unfair in this particular mod then i feel really sorry for you. But whatever your input might be the dev's are gonna remove it anyway so i've got a couple of sentences for you, first: "Get over it." second: "Get used to it." and third: "Get over it."

Have a nice day.

Isolation
2nd November 2007, 20:11
the dev's are gonna remove it anyway

Assuming they can do so without damaging 617's invaluable air maneuverability...

Hannibal
2nd November 2007, 20:43
then i feel really sorry for you.

do...not...fucking...pity...me...
you know nothing about me.

Demented
2nd November 2007, 20:50
Poor Hannibal.

Anyway, to the important stuff:
Should be easy to avoid messing with the Hidden's maneuverability, considering all the methods so far proposed don't involve air acceleration at all.

Isolation
2nd November 2007, 22:19
Anyway, to the important stuff:
Should be easy to avoid messing with the Hidden's maneuverability, considering all the methods so far proposed don't involve air acceleration at all.

I'm more worried along the lines of HOW rapid one can pounce and jump, since you obviously have to land before you can pounce again, and being able to just keep moving and changing directions is how one stays alive for any length of time.

Demented
2nd November 2007, 22:24
I figured it would only affect jump, not pounce.

Paegus
2nd November 2007, 23:11
just trigger the search for landing when the players jumps otherwise ignore it.

Boat Builder
2nd November 2007, 23:29
all right, so, bunnyjumping... I understand why some people don't like it, maybe they think it's unrealistic, they can't do it themself, they think it's cheating or as Ging would say: "it's an unfair advantage".

I have nothing against iris bunnyhopping gameplay-wise.

But, as the game is seemingly supposed to convey a certain atmosphere, i don't think madly jumping lunatics quite fit.

Now, as hidden though, it's stupidly easy to maintain a rediculous speed while losing no stamina at all. This takes no skill, anybody can do this with nothing but balogna for brains. All it takes is the will to do something that you know isn't intended to be a part of the game.

(Don't take this as an insult bhoppers, i do respect your dedication.)

Digit*
3rd November 2007, 08:51
do...not...fucking...pity...me...
you know nothing about me.

I know you eat raw meat...you said so yourself. And i know you're from Sweden, you're crazy (wich you also said yourself), you play the mod Hidden Source, you're good with the physics in that game and you bunny-hop like a madman exploiter.

There, looks to me like i do know some things about you.:)

TheOtherDante
3rd November 2007, 13:18
does anyone else smell smoke

TheChrist
3rd November 2007, 16:41
does anyone else smell smoke

I wasn't going to say anything, you since you bought it up, yea I do...

Hannibal
4th November 2007, 00:48
I know you eat raw meat...you said so yourself. And i know you're from Sweden, you're crazy (wich you also said yourself), you play the mod Hidden Source, you're good with the physics in that game and you bunny-hop like a madman exploiter.

There, looks to me like i do know some things about you.:)

you forgot that I've been shot 2 times in my left leg, stabbed in my right shoulder, been hited in my head more than anyone can remember (maybe that's why my memory only last about 1 day...), that I drink at least liter of vodka every day and that I'm that kind of guy that could spend the rest of my life, all my money and everything I got just to find a guy like you and rip your hands off and eat them up...

-SM-SUCKER
4th November 2007, 01:04
you forgot that I've been shot 2 times in my left leg, stabbed in my right shoulder, been hited in my head more than anyone can remember (maybe that's why my memory only last about 1 day...), that I drink at least liter of vodka every day and that I'm that kind of guy that could spend the rest of my life, all my money and everything I got just to find a guy like you and rip your hands off and eat them up...
Your parents really should put you in another school/institution because your current enviroment seems to be far to hostile.
Or they should stop/change your medication....

[internet emotions]this is sarcasm[/internet emotions]

Demented
4th November 2007, 01:28
See, they're right, child hunger does cause all sorts of problems. Digit's hands aren't even that nourishing and already someone is trying to eat them.

Digit*
4th November 2007, 06:56
Digit's hands aren't even that nourishing and already someone is trying to eat them.

Since my work requires me to do stuff with my hands a lot their indeed not very nourishing. All muscular and absolutely no fat/meat on them...you'd have to be absolutely starving for someone to eat those kinds of hands :eek:.

But that aside, may i ask to what kind of methods the dev's are trying to implement to counter bunny-hoppers? We already know something is done about it but details are nice, could give us an idea of what to expect and perhaps give feedback/tips on how to improve such features.

Isolation
4th November 2007, 08:48
Since my work requires me to do stuff with my hands a lot their indeed not very nourishing. All muscular and absolutely no fat/meat on them...you'd have to be absolutely starving for someone to eat those kinds of hands :eek:.

If you can cook it, chances are someone will eat it. Though from the sounds of things, your hands might make excellent replacements for good ol' buffalo wings.

Paegus
4th November 2007, 10:10
i've always been under the impression that meat is for the most part muscle. so having a muscular hand makes it all the more edible. it also includes things like your lungs and whatnot which aren't muscles.

Ging
4th November 2007, 12:01
i've always been under the impression that meat is for the most part muscle.

I don't believe there's a most part about it - meat is muscle.

Paegus
4th November 2007, 12:26
what about kidneys and livers and so on... they're meat too aren't they?

Hannibal
4th November 2007, 12:58
I thought I succeeded with making this thread about talking how crazy I am...
Not that I don't mind talking about meat ^^, I had a good piece of meat yesterday, about 500gram rib (the fat kind with a lot of meat and grease, not the thin kind with only bones).

Ion
4th November 2007, 19:30
aaah, another bunnyjumping thread...

first of all I must spend a minute laughing...

all right, so, bunnyjumping... I understand why some people don't like it, maybe they think it's unrealistic, they can't do it themself, they think it's cheating or as Ging would say: "it's an unfair advantage". Let me explain, bunnyjumping is only jumping, you press space. (as long you don't use a script or anything, and I don't.)

so why shall we try to remove it? don't ask me, I don't know. hehu.

/Hannibal, call me bunnyjumpingcheatinghaxscripingteleportingexploiti ngfagnoob if you want too...

I'd say that if you want to move faster than the hidden, you should use adrenaline (Which has advantages and disadvantages) instead of repetitively smashing the space bar.

If there is a way to put in a IRIS jump delay without putting one up on the hidden, I'd think that may work.

Paegus
4th November 2007, 19:48
I'd say that if you want to move faster than the hidden, you should use adrenaline (Which has advantages and disadvantages) instead of repetitively smashing the space bar.

If there is a way to put in a IRIS jump delay without putting one up on the hidden, I'd think that may work.

you can't really have your cake and eat it too though... all the shoulds in the world wont force people to use it.
if there's no delay on the hidden's jump (that's JUMP not POUNCE) then the hidden can hop around to their heart's content which as far as i'm concerned is actually worse than a bunny hopping IRIS since at least they can still be caught by a well placed pounce or 2 to foul up their speed.

Ging
4th November 2007, 20:05

I'm going to have to go away and look at the wiki page on meat now...

Meat, in its broadest definition, is animal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal) tissue (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_tissue) used as food (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food). Most often it refers to skeletal muscle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeletal_muscle) and associated fat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat), but it may also refer to non-muscle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle) organs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organ_%28anatomy%29), including lungs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lung), livers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liver), skin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin), brains (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain), bone marrow (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone_marrow) and kidneys (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidney).

I've always considered organs as offal though, rather than meat.

Demented
5th November 2007, 00:57
i've always been under the impression that meat is for the most part muscle. so having a muscular hand makes it all the more edible. it also includes things like your lungs and whatnot which aren't muscles.

Fingers are mostly tendon and skin. The primary muscles for your fingers are in your arms. There's a few lesser muscles in your hands. I don't think there are any in your fingers.

Paegus
5th November 2007, 06:09
the primary muscles are indeed in the forearm but there are still some in the hand. for the thumb.

Cheesey
5th November 2007, 10:10
I think I dont even want to read how you've come from b-hopping to "whats-a-muscle"....

Cyborg
6th November 2007, 03:11

i believe those are called organs.

Cyborg
6th November 2007, 03:14
Fingers are mostly tendon and skin. The primary muscles for your fingers are in your arms. There's a few lesser muscles in your hands. I don't think there are any in your fingers.

sorry for the double post, but i just had to set the record straight. if a part on your body can move, then it has three things (with a few exceptions like the tongue) 1. bone 2. muscle 3. tendons. for fingers specifically, the muscle is in the hand.

the bone provides the framework, the tendons connect the muscle to bone, and the muscle provides the contractions to move the bone.

ps. the tongue is an exception because it is muscle connected to muscle. strange, huh?

Demented
6th November 2007, 03:24
Don't forget cartilage as an alternative to bone.
Though, that typically only applies to infants and those freaks who can wiggle their ears.
It applies to those ever crucial elements of digestion and circulation as well, come to think of it.

Or, if you want to get really persnickety, one could mention all the various tissues present in skin,
supportive fat, and those troublesome knobby knots we call joints. And when that starts to
bore you, we can move on to hair and eyeballs...
The former of which does indeed move, from time to chilly time.

Isolation
6th November 2007, 17:58
Damn it, will you guys just answer the all important question, please?

Will his hands be tasty (maybe with some BBQ sauce): Yes or No?

Cheesey
6th November 2007, 18:03
Raw or roasted?

Isolation
6th November 2007, 18:13
Raw or roasted?

Battered and fried, of course.

Paegus
6th November 2007, 18:27
with the correct seasoning... yes.

Cheesey
6th November 2007, 21:23
Yep, I fully agree with Paegus! :) *yumyum*

Would be even better as Hand-On-A-Stick...

Demented
6th November 2007, 21:47
Mmm, they'd be better than buffalo wings.
Just need to get rid of the nails. You don't want those stuck in your teeth.

Hannibal
7th November 2007, 05:25
well, my plan was just to rip the hands off and eat them fast in rage while he's still looking. But now cooking sounds more intresting, thanks for the tips guys.

Cheesey
7th November 2007, 16:38
Maybe Boxy can place a hidden oven for 617, like the xBox and Jimmeh :D

TheOtherDante
9th November 2007, 12:52
ovens are too big i think a hot plate would work and when you hit some body with it it does alil fire damage also.