PDA

View Full Version : a year without an update

Meathook
21st October 2007, 23:26
I understand that this is a free game and the dev team works very hard to make the mod and the community what it is. So I say this with love... not a gay love mind you, but love none the less.

But when a mod doesnt have an update for so long it gives credence to the people that say the mod is dead or dying. And more and more people leave the mod. Giving more frequent updates and more info on how the update is coming would only help the community that you're trying to build. Saying "WHEN IT'S DONE" to anyone asking how it's coming along only hurts the game/community you've put so much time and effort into. I understand that constantly being pressured for information gets annoying, but whats wrong with every once and a while giving a rough percentage of the progress.

Meatcreast out!

Isolation
21st October 2007, 23:42
Uh... the mod was just updated a month or so ago.

Boat Builder
21st October 2007, 23:59
We'd all like some word of the goings on sir, but since there have already been numerous posts exactly like yours which not yielded any informative responses, i don't see how you can possibly think yours will have a differant effect.

But hey, here's hoping eh? :)

-SM-SUCKER
22nd October 2007, 00:00
and there is a new section just to show the progress the devs are making

Meathook
22nd October 2007, 00:09
I'm actually not looking for info, just a general statement about mod updates and keeping the people informed.

wow, I hadnt noticed the new section, well done.

the updates: still over a year... again only trying to start a diolage about information sharing and the perception of not having a "major" update for a year.

not a bitch thread, just bored.

Demented
22nd October 2007, 00:16
So you didn't notice Beta 4b?

Doesn't matter if it ain't major... At this point, major is only a factor of hype and the beta version number.

Dr.SharK
22nd October 2007, 08:00
Look at the top of the mod discussion forum. Click that thread about Beta5. Read the entirety of it, and I mean, every single post, and you will understand when B5 will be released.

Gusdor
22nd October 2007, 08:43
You should note that all of the development team are now out of full time education. Paid jobs tend to take precedence I'm afraid.

killerking_swe
22nd October 2007, 22:16
I like to think on it this way, at least yourself aint doing the job although seizeing the full profit.

TheChrist
22nd October 2007, 22:49
It might be because this game has so little wrong with it...

Other than that with campers and a steep learning curve.

Norodo
23rd October 2007, 14:03
Look at the top of the mod discussion forum. Click that thread about Beta5. Read the entirety of it, and I mean, every single post, and you will understand when B5 will be released.

Spoiler: It'll be out when it's finished.

Dr.SharK
23rd October 2007, 16:45

I would've said "All they're doing is fixing bugs now" but that works too XD

Meathook
23rd October 2007, 18:47

Saying "WHEN IT'S DONE" to anyone asking how it's coming along only hurts the game/community you've put so much time and effort into.

I'm actually not looking for info, just a general statement about mod updates and keeping the people informed.

idk, maybe I've had a stroke and I'm not making myself clear...

MiasmicAnomie
23rd October 2007, 19:24
idk, maybe I've had a stroke

That would explain your harping about 'no update in a year' when it's been pointed out that there was in fact an update a few weeks ago ...

There's a forum dedicated to showing the build updates to the community. It'll be done when Ging and the rest of us are happy with it.

Attempting to harp us into giving a date isn't productive.

Meathook
23rd October 2007, 21:34
wow, really.... really?

I am not looking for information on the updates.

I just made a general post about communication from the devs to the community.

I already said that I hadnt noticed the new forum section.

wow.

Isolation
23rd October 2007, 21:40
Well, the devs HAVE been communicating with the community so... I guess this is a moot point now?

salith
24th October 2007, 10:44
Let's see... a website and an active forum community isn't enough?
So please, what would you suggest?

Euphoria
24th October 2007, 20:56
Let's see... a website and an active forum community isn't enough?
So please, what would you suggest?

Daily updates by text?:p

Demented
24th October 2007, 22:24
Daily 10-page updates via RSS feed, probably.

salith
25th October 2007, 09:58
I was thinking daily articles in all major newspapers and news sites :)

Demented
25th October 2007, 10:42
Heaven forbid. Do you know how many CS noobs would flood the Hidden if that happened? It's bad enough when a game mag in germany has a small article...

killerking_swe
25th October 2007, 12:06
It might be because this game has so little wrong with it...

Other than that with campers and a steep learning curve.

True :p

Spanktacular
26th October 2007, 11:16
I am not looking for information on the updates.

These two statements go together like fish and peanut butter.

Go to the main page and read the updates that have been posted. You're either blind, illiterate, or just plain stupid.

<Beatlemania>
27th October 2007, 16:35
Heaven forbid. Do you know how many CS noobs would flood the Hidden if that happened? It's bad enough when a game mag in germany has a small article...

When did that happen?

Meathook
27th October 2007, 21:56
well, here's the real question: when is beta5 gonna be out?

Ging
27th October 2007, 22:31
well, here's the real question: when is beta5 gonna be out?

When we feel it's ready - which'll be about the same time we've knocked our list of major bugs down to around 0.

Meathook
27th October 2007, 23:59
awe, I was kind of hoping to get my first forum banning...

I'm no good at being bad. :(

Demented
28th October 2007, 00:08
When did that happen?

I'm not sure when, but quite a while ago. It was nice to have a little coverage...

Digit*
28th October 2007, 08:34
Is this still active? Pardon me but this topic is going absolutely into the nowheres region...meathook's question is answered and thereby case closed.

Spanktacular
14th June 2010, 04:51
When we feel it's ready - which'll be about the same time we've knocked our list of major bugs down to around 0.

Hi, October 2007! I'm June 2010. Just to let you know, there's still no B5.

Okay. That's about all I have 2007. Maybe I'll post the same thing in 2013.

-SM-SUCKER
14th June 2010, 09:19
Maybe I'll post the same thing in 2013.
But isn't 2012 the date where DukeNukem and Hidden are done?

Btw. 2013 is no good time, because humanity will lack technology due to heavy meteor rain.

Colonel Mustard
15th June 2010, 06:10
But isn't 2012 the date where DukeNukem and Hidden are done?

wait whats this you are talking about? hidden DONE?

Spanktacular
7th July 2010, 11:49
So, when will this mod officially be declared dead? Is it three years, four years, or five that kills a mod?

-SM-SUCKER
7th July 2010, 13:09
It's players not playing a mod that defines a mod as dead. But as there are still many enjoying this great piece of art I'd say it is alive.

Ging
7th July 2010, 15:23
So, when will this mod officially be declared dead? Is it three years, four years, or five that kills a mod?

Wow, you really are full of positivity aren't you?

Spanktacular
8th July 2010, 01:20
Yeah, you really know how to set a positive tone, Ging... :rolleyes:

How're those 2007 release dates for gunshin and kyo hitsu looking? About as solid as Hidden dev progress?

Conroy
8th July 2010, 02:41
you seem to forget, that this forum is about a free mod, coded by people who are dedicating their spare time to it.

Spanktacular
8th July 2010, 03:16
You seem to forget that free is some all-encompassing magical shield against any and all valid criticism. Ging has failed every target he's set. Every. Single. One.

B5 has problems, those problems aren't being addressed. Free or fee, work promised isn't being done...for THREE years.

http://www.chrisjanes.com/?p=47

Skyrider
8th July 2010, 03:28
You seem to forget that free is some all-encompassing magical shield against any and all valid criticism. Ging has failed every target he's set. Every. Single. One.

B5 has problems, those problems aren't being addressed. Free or fee, work promised isn't being done...for THREE years.

I predict banhammer in 3....2.....1.....

Genre
8th July 2010, 03:29
Cry about it? Ging doesn't owe you anything. There's no door and you're more than welcome to leave if you want. The last time I checked there was no release date for the next beta so I don't see any deadlines or targets missed.

Conroy
8th July 2010, 04:04
Ging has failed every target he's set. Every. Single. One.

hmm... I will think about that again tomorrow, when Im playing on a full server together with people who are all enjoying this great game.

[TSAT]Flow
8th July 2010, 06:34
Ging has failed every target he's set. Every. Single. One.

So have valve and blizzard, and they are making quite a lot of money.
Ging doesn't, and he never really set a deadline for anything in the first place.

What's your point, exacty? Just being butthurt because you don't get something no one ever promised you anyway?

Zabiela
8th July 2010, 07:11
Free or fee, work promised isn't being done

work promised isn't being done

work promised

promised

What?

-SM-SUCKER
8th July 2010, 08:43
I don't recall Ging, or any other member of the dev staff, ever promising anything.
BUT there was a lot of talking about Beta5, and there were times when actual testing took place and huge progress was made. The amount of testers is incredible. I think this let hopes grow high for an imminent release.
Well, things have changed, people got real jobs. And after all the current version with all the server mods out there is a pretty cool and stable game.

[TSAT]Flow
8th July 2010, 12:12
And after all the current version with all the server mods out there is a pretty cool and stable game.

Apart from the black screens, random crashes, crashes related to physics, horribly optimised maps (I'm looking at you, hdn_traindepot) and some other minor things, sure :D

Ging
8th July 2010, 18:22

'Free' is no shield against criticism and I'm fine admitting that we should have released a new version ages ago but I also know why it's not been.

Had we released what we were testing a while back we would have been in a worse position than we are now, sure we'd have introduced some good features but at the expense of stability and the introduction of a lot more crash issues.

Spanktacular
9th July 2010, 12:34
I'm not asking you to release crap, Ging. I'm asking you to get your ass off Rock, Paper, Shotgun and un-crap it like you said you would. You're moving the goal posts.

"I would have baked you a birthday cake Timmy, but what with my not reading the recipe, or getting all the ingredients, or even warming up the oven, the cake would have tasted like crap. Or, at least like baked chicken with a Lucky Charms crust as that's all I have. You should be happy to have that brightly color napkin. It's free, y'know."

Go to the store, Ging. Get the ingredients, read the recipe, and warm up the oven for cryin' out loud. You've had more than a substantial amount of time.

FFAF
9th July 2010, 12:59
Great, now i want some Pie :(

Paegus
9th July 2010, 17:05
yeah, because you badgering him on an internet forum of all places will provide adequate motivation...

Master of Puppets
9th July 2010, 17:43
Why dont you code your own mod? You will have full control of it, you can release updates when ever you want, you can fuck your RL cause you have to work a normal job and for the rest of the day code a game for ppl like your self.

And after you will have a mod thats not entertaining at all and has zillions of bugs and crashes i will salute you...

[TSAT]Flow
9th July 2010, 19:26
"I would have baked you a birthday cake Timmy, but what with my not reading the recipe, or getting all the ingredients, or even warming up the oven, the cake would have tasted like crap. Or, at least like baked chicken with a Lucky Charms crust as that's all I have. You should be happy to have that brightly color napkin. It's free, y'know."

You're not Timmy in this scenario, you're that fat kid living across the street who will later try to steal said cake from Timmy.

Digit*
9th July 2010, 20:13
I'm not asking you to release crap, Ging. I'm asking you to get your ass off Rock, Paper, Shotgun and un-crap it like you said you would. You're moving the goal posts.

Ging has never set a "goal post" (seems we are still in the World Cup mood today) ever. So you can bash on him all you want but it still doesn't change jack shit.

You've had more than a substantial amount of time.

I'm sorry, what? Time? How fair do you think it is to judge someone from your lazy computer chair while you contribute nothing. What is it you do exactly? Do you have a job? Do you attend school? Did you ever make a mod yourself? How much of this precious "time" do you have? You sure throw a lot of accusations around but you back up nothing with how succesfull you supposedly are.

Ging has "goal posts" in real life too next to what he already does for this mod. Sure he could/might/possibly have released something over the last months but he is still 1 man working on this and apart from the fact he has oh i dont know an actual life to live (Real life always comes first btw, just thought id lay down this ground rule for you) he is already spending as much time as he can to get this right.

So stop complaining and either do something to help or move along because if all you can do is whine you have no business here.

Ging
10th July 2010, 02:12

What?

The work was done, the result wasn't good enough so it didn't get released - how's that akin to not "reading the recipe"?

Spanktacular
10th July 2010, 04:08
three years...

Conroy
10th July 2010, 04:32
dont you have better things to do, than being a douche on the internet ?

Master of Puppets
10th July 2010, 08:14
Someone pls lock this...

Paegus
10th July 2010, 08:29
ok..

v tldr for this thread v

three years...

The work was done, the result wasn't good enough so it didn't get released

^ tldr for this thread ^

in that order