PDA

View Full Version : Fov 90

hervai
8th October 2007, 21:08
Please, to avoid permanent headaches while playing, please, put an option to set the fov at 90, and more for the hidden, it could be great for the gameplay !

-SM-SUCKER
8th October 2007, 21:30
Afaik the Hidden already has a wider fov.

Paegus
8th October 2007, 21:52
yeah... 110 last i heard.

/adds insanely wide screens :)

TheChrist
8th October 2007, 21:54
yeah... 110 last i heard.

/adds insanely wide screens :)

Surely he should "see" all of his surroundings. (http://forum.hidden-source.com/showthread.php?t=8970&page=2)

Demented
8th October 2007, 21:55
He only has the attention span for forwards.

TheChrist
8th October 2007, 21:56
He only has the attention span for forwards.

Surely then when he uses Aura, he'd concentrate on all of his surroundings.

Ging
8th October 2007, 22:21
If anything, using aura should reduce the fov - as he's focusing all his attention on a small area in front of him.

Paegus
8th October 2007, 23:16
Surely he should "see" all of his surroundings. (http://forum.hidden-source.com/showthread.php?t=8970&page=2)

360º fov would be all but impossible for the player's brain to interpret accurately not to mention somewhat beyond the engine's capability of ~179º. and even that is pretty batty to look at.

Zabiela
8th October 2007, 23:25
Headaches? (http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/53/hdndecay0003xd7.jpg)

Cheesey
9th October 2007, 12:54
That's so insane! But cool :)

Would be looking rather freaky if you display 360 on a flat and loooong screen...

Paegus
9th October 2007, 16:50
only if you have them wrap around you...

Cheesey
9th October 2007, 20:06
Nah, if I'd had it around me, I still would have to turn my head ;)

Demented
9th October 2007, 22:32
only if you have them wrap around you...

Sometimes it sounds like we're getting to that point. The only trick is the 1080° (spherical?) screen. Or perhaps just a large half-sphere in front of you.

Paegus
9th October 2007, 23:14
1080? 200x135 would give full coverage i believe. vision wrapping glasses with those angles would suit me fine.

the main point is that you can move your eyes (and head) around without moving your mouse pointer. 360x360 visibility would be a tad unfair since without some sort of head & eye tracking feedback there'd be no way to know what direction the player was actually looking. not that it wouldn't be cool to see animated heads and eyes. now all they need is a spheroid treadmill under foot and we're good to go right? no more complaining about kids sitting on their duff playing video games...

well not really. running in place and then trying to turn a corner would be interesting to watch. and by interesting i mean funny as the test subject promptly falls over because their innate sense of balance it borked by the expectation of momentum and its queer lack of existence.

Demented
9th October 2007, 23:50
1080º? 200ºx135º would give full coverage i believe. vision wrapping glasses with those angles would suit me fine.

That number was mostly just a holdover from the days when Descent was advertising their "360°" environments.

In any case, I think a 180°x180° half-sphere to envelop the user would be enough. Perhaps as a projector. Having a flat screen that large would probably distort your view at the edges as the angle of your vision to the screen becomes oblique... Though, the way they render a 3-d perspective from a single point could probably compensate or counter that.

Oh, and I'm perfectly happy with WADS for moving around. (Though an analog keyboard or hand-size D-pad would be just as good.) If I wanted to run everywhere, I'd do it in real life! 'Sides, I'd like to see those test subjects attempt to vault an invisible object, or manage a jumping puzzle. Kids would be killing themselves, much less getting off their duff.

TheOtherDante
10th October 2007, 00:11
virutal Hidden-Source = kick @$$

i would love to pouce like the hidden, also run around tapping poeple on the shoulders would be intresting.

Cheesey
10th October 2007, 13:37
The Matrix FTW! :D