PDA

View Full Version : Not necessary, but I'd appreciate it

aluminum can
6th October 2007, 22:20
I, unfortunately, don't have a microphone nor do I have the $$ to spend on one(or buy the Orange box for that matter, damnit) so I rely on the radio communications a bunch to let people know when I'm getting owned and when I see the Hidden. My biggest beef with the system is that if I'm ever asked a question my only option is to say yes. For once I would like to be able to say, "Negative." I realize that's kind of a small, non-priority suggestion, but as it says in the title of this post, I'd appreciate it.

Ging
6th October 2007, 23:37
What's wrong with just typing "no"?

starstriker1
7th October 2007, 02:13
He has a point. It is kind of silly to have an "affirmative" voice bind without the opposite as well. You can always type it, but then there's no audio element.

Besides, what's so hard about typing "yes"? :P

Ging
7th October 2007, 02:33
We spoke about it at length and decided that with the set of radio commands we had negative wasn't all that important - I can't remember the exact discussion, it happened a loooong time ago...

ComeToJesus
7th October 2007, 06:08
None of the voice commands are "all that important".

They're just a luxury that add a little to the game, and having a "no" voice command would just add to the palette of neat things available.

Digit*
7th October 2007, 09:43
palette of neat things available.

Palette of neat yet if you really think about it their not really absolutely undeniably required things available. :p

starstriker1
7th October 2007, 19:22
I'd go so far as to venture that the current voice commands (on the IRIS side, at least) are nothing more than fluff, but that the system could easily be turned into a useful part of team play.

Consider the following set of useful commands:
Yes, No, Need backup, Need ammo, thanks, man down, taunt, hidden spotted, and report in.

That covers practically all the basic pieces of communication that you might need in a hurry. If the IRIS voice binds were reworked such that there's more margin of error in selecting a specific bind (bigger boxes for the buttons), and the "hidden spotted" bind is in the center of the radio flower, it becomes the single fastest way of communicating any of those items.

Granted, the voice binds need some bugs fixed in regards to them displaying in text and such before any of that is worthwhile, but a set of binds set up along these lines would be far more functional than the current one, which contains superfluous and often annoying binds like the "ugly motherfucker" bind, "if it bleeds", and "bring it". At the very least, taunts should be combined into a single bind... it's also an excuse to use some of the other voice clips Khu set up.

Once the tactical view is implemented, voice binds could become even more important if they are given enough hooks into it. Aside from simply being able to see who's saying what at a distance, bings like "need backup", "man down", and "hidden spotted" could put big, flashing markers down on the HUD

Daedalus
7th October 2007, 19:39
...and the "hidden spotted" bind is in the center of the radio flower, it becomes the single fastest way of communicating any of those items.

I already have that voice command bound to F, so I can alert people quickly while I start firing upon the hidden.

Bind f "radio 1" for anyone wondering.

Cheesey
7th October 2007, 19:52
@starstriker

the idea sounds really good! It would also be nice to set keys within the keyboard-menu. It's easy with the console, if you know it. I think beginners would really appreaciate that...

Paegus
7th October 2007, 23:18
Consider the following set of useful commands:
Yes, No, Need backup, Need ammo, thanks, man down, taunt, hidden spotted, and report in.

...would be far more functional than the current one, which contains superfluous and often annoying binds like the "ugly motherfucker" bind, "if it bleeds", and "bring it". At the very least, taunts should be combined into a single bind...

there could indeed be 1 taunt button that shifts given various circumstances. during the game it says the 'bring it' and 'come out you freak' ones. once the hidden has been wounded to a certain point (say to pigstick enabling levels) it adds the 'if it can bleed..' and 'bleed you bastard' ones. once the hidden is neutralized and visible (round ends) you get the 'ugly mother...' one.

'thanks' can easily fall under 'roger' i think.

'need ammo' might gain some importance with the new ammo stores but it would be well to have them automatically appear on the iris hud automatically. saves the player having to ask for it. one thing that's bugged me for a while about the current b5 method is that the ammo pickup is automatic and doesn't require the player to have requested so the supplier can lace the map with ammo packs that will be automatically picked up giving them the extra weight points regardless of need.

so that leaves: yes, no, backup, contact, report, down, ammo and taunt. which leaves it as 8... all in all not a bad number.

on a side note, if the radios automatically reply to report in... and the radios of dead iris remain 'active'... wont they also reply automatically?

Ging
7th October 2007, 23:24
It's not the actual radios that are reporting in - it's the person to whom it's attached who's using the radio in the required fashion to report in...

I'd have thought that'd be slightly obvious...

Paegus
7th October 2007, 23:36
abstractly true but functionally i don't have to do anything do i? thus as far as i'm concerned it's automatic.

personally i'd much rather the reply be entirely manual so players who can't be arsed to reply wont and can get picked off as they meander around aimlessly (aka camp in a corner to scared to breath) by themselves.

a timer that sets any 'report in' radios to 'reporting in' for say 10 seconds after a request or until the requesting player dies (which ever comes first) would work nicely.

Demented
8th October 2007, 00:10
'thanks' can easily fall under 'roger' i think.

I've always figured that a 'thanks' bind is superfluous.
If you're really thankful, you'll bother to type it out!

Cheesey
8th October 2007, 13:43
Not if there is a radio command ;)
It's the small but important difference between typing "Thanks!" or just pressing 5 ;)

I also like the idea of the manual "report in" function...

Boat Builder
8th October 2007, 18:28
I agree.

When people ask for ammo right at the beggining of a match, i'd like to be able to say "Negative".

Although, the importance level in my mind is extremely low.

khu
9th October 2007, 21:55
The intent certainly is for the radio binds to be useful. It was for this very reason that I argued for a more simplified radio set and argued against specific taunt binds. The ideal implementation would come from some analysis of what typical IRIS communications interactions are. Having 'yes' without 'no' was part of this. In my experience, requests such as 'hidden spotted' or 'ammo needed' would require only an acknowledgment in the affirmative, letting know your teammates you were on your way or were coming to give them ammo. I didn't really see any need for a 'hidden spotted' -- 'no' type interaction.

I agree specifically with starstriker1 in that the GUI is a vitally important part of making binds useful and, overall, making the game more fun. Unfortunately, I dont have the slightest idea of where to begin with menu redesign. It's not my area.

Paegus
9th October 2007, 22:11
@ the menu.
i'm not a fan of mouse focus stealing menus. hated it in various permutation of cs, natural selection and the like. also while it's nice to try and move away from the generic text list radio menu that you get in cs(s) and the like, the layout at least is quite functionally unobtrusive. having the menu not steal the mouse pointer (with or without the use of a cvar) would be greatly appreciated at least by myself. also having it remain up without having to hold but button down so i can C, 3 like i'm used to doing is virtually all games that employ radio menus = :)
because of those 2 points i just don't even bother with the radio menu. even though valve decided it was a good idea to break the echo command, having memorised the order, i still use that menu script instead.

going slightly flyout-menu objectdock/insurgency(?)-ish with a shiny menu that you can scroll through with a mouse wheel bound to prev/nextinv would be visually nice for the normal players. similar thing could be done with the weapons i suppose...

TheChrist
16th October 2007, 17:33
I can't see how you can't have enough money for a mic...

A cheap one costs about 10...

That's what? $20...