PDA

View Full Version : Hud and Iris crew members stress :)

peyo22
23rd September 2007, 00:06
Hi,

I was updating Hidden (after some hours of playing insurgency) and this game mades me think about "what if the IRIS members had no idea about how much bullet they have left in their mags (except the number of mags of course)?"

What do you think about that? Is that stupid? It's a way to add stress to IRIS crew member, isn't it?
(please,excuse my english)

starstriker1
23rd September 2007, 01:06
I've always been in favour of that, especially since it reduces the HUD.

Boat Builder
23rd September 2007, 02:10
Sounds like goodness.

Maybe a way to check the rounds left in your gun? In case you lose count and don't wanna reload for fear of copious ammo loss. (would be an animation a bit shorter than reloading, but long enough so the hidden can still take advantage of it. However being hit once should end the animation before it's usual end.)

starstriker1
23rd September 2007, 02:15
Why? If it needs to be checked, then that should be a function of the aura view. Besides, that uncertainty is a good element in gameplay in most games I've played that have it.

Boat Builder
23rd September 2007, 02:46
I'm afraid i didn't understand that.

Are you speaking of IRIS aura-ness? I thought that was to be some kinda xray dealy in a later release, that allows them to see each other or sommit.

But why? Because i think checking my ammo would be funky. Pretty much as simple as that.

VoiceOfDecember
23rd September 2007, 02:51
I got no problems with it. Everyone's smart enough to realise how many rounds they've popped off and if they're low or dangerously low on ammo and in need of a reload. Less HUD is good :)

Paegus
23rd September 2007, 08:17
the iris aura will essentially give them a clear screen while not pressing the aura button. when they press it all sorts of goodies come up to obstruct their vision of the hidden. maps, ammo counters, health... hell there was even a tet-iris mini game (tetris-esk ripoff where you had to build complete iris corpses from the various gibblets spawned during pigsticks and phys-plosions) installed in westfield's hud last time i had a look... i think that's the last time Infinitum Research releases the SDK for their Tactical Data Relay systems.

Cheesey
23rd September 2007, 09:07
Tet-IRIS for the win :D

peyo22
23rd September 2007, 11:35
I got no problems with it. Everyone's smart enough to realise how many rounds they've popped off and if they're low or dangerously low on ammo and in need of a reload. Less HUD is good :)

yeah! mainly in Hidden where the stress is everywhere :)

I think the hud can be removed (except the minimap).
If you're iris, you can be hit 2 or 3 times maximum (or just once in pig stick), so you know you can die at anytime, so who cares of the percentage of life you still have? the only one who cares of your life remaining is the hidden in aura-view.
The number of bullet spent is not necessary to know in my opinion. Just count them when you shot. The atmosphere will be more stressful :)

The objective of this game is to be a new type of atmosphere... Heavy-stuffed guys fearing a guy with a knife :) Not to be counter-strike or quake. (well I think so, maybe am I wrong? ^^)

The less you have hud, the more you can use your screen to search the hidden :)
(and I think a in-game-removable hud is not a good idea, because it's sort of cheat I think. well not cheat but real advantage...)

TheOtherDante
24th September 2007, 14:06
<possilbe situation>

Let me check my ammo

*pulls up hud*

*begins to play tetris*

*hidden impales IRIS with a barrel*

DRAT!!!

Donat
24th September 2007, 14:37
Holding down a key -> Pull out clip and look at it -> See how many bullets left -> put clip back and re-load chamber -- or -- Reload -> Shoot the hidden.

Spooky
24th September 2007, 15:00
I'm all for this idea. Also, (correct me if I'm wrong) IRIS get less ammo to start off with in B5.

I think this combined with only having a rough idea of how much ammo you have left would really add to the fear factor. Especially for those who like to unload half a P90 mag in the general direction of something they saw move on the other side of the map.

Paegus
24th September 2007, 15:13
they receive less spare magazines in b5 to promote the use of the supply package.

while i'm all for realism the addition of an extra key to facilitate this will complicate the interface more. not that it wouldn't be really cool to press +checkammo to pull the magazine out and hold it for inspection (no hud counter, you need to do that yourself) and have it go back in when you -checkammo or if you switch over +reload it switches to that.

Donat
24th September 2007, 15:28
Hehe, no devs have commented yet. I'm going on the assumption they like the hud due to them working on the IRIS radar + sonic alarm dots n' stuff.

Spooky
24th September 2007, 15:43
Well i guess the ability to check your clip isn't essential to the concept of having no ammo counter on the HUD.

However i don't think it would complicate things too much, I have my radio communications bound to X and that leaves me with Z and C free compared to CS:S for example.
It wouldn't be a core command in the sense that you wouldn't need to be able to hit the key in a split second like you would say, swap weapon or jump. So i could have it on C and wouldn't feel it complicated things at all. Obviously everyone has different settings and preferences though.

But then there is the fact that the animations and such would take up a lot of your time on a feature that's relatively unimportant, and could otherwise be spent bustin' bugs or whatever you guys do;)

Ging
24th September 2007, 17:54
Hehe, no devs have commented yet. I'm going on the assumption they like the hud due to them working on the IRIS radar + sonic alarm dots n' stuff.

dev's not commenting generally isn't a good thing...