PDA

View Full Version : Spectator Views

salith
21st September 2007, 17:29
For B5, would it be possible to allow spectators to view both 617 as well as the IRIS agents?
Would be great as a learning excercise in how to play as 617 more effectively.

Paegus
21st September 2007, 18:12
no

VoiceOfDecember
21st September 2007, 23:08
no

Agreed. You have to figure out 617 for yourself. Gotta find your own style of playing.

starstriker1
22nd September 2007, 00:54
The official line, as it is, is no. It would be an excellent learning aid, yes, but throw so much as teamspeak into the equation and you have some serious ghosting issues. There's absolutely nothing that can be done to stop someone from talking to his buddy over teamspeak to get the hidden's current location.

killerking_swe
22nd September 2007, 01:19
Woud be great whit it on a private server for learning and sutch but it woud surely only be abused.

Isolation
22nd September 2007, 03:53
The official line, as it is, is no. It would be an excellent learning aid, yes, but throw so much as teamspeak into the equation and you have some serious ghosting issues. There's absolutely nothing that can be done to stop someone from talking to his buddy over teamspeak to get the hidden's current location.

I've probably already mentioned this to someone, but what about some admin/server owner only version? Too many times I've had to sit and spec IRIS to try and catch a speedhacking Hidden...

Boat Builder
22nd September 2007, 05:36
For one, there is of course the aspect of potential cheating. With people watching the cameras and relaying -silly though even that can be sometimes, although at others kinda fun- at least they have to see him through the camera.

And secondly, this would ruin the atmosphere that can actually make spectating once dead an awesome experience. (provided the hidden playing is ultra-awesome supercool)
EDIT2: Although i guess if you wanted the fun of watching you could always just not watch from the hidden's view but... whatever. :)

EDIT: If newer players wish to see from the hidden's perspective while somebody else plays, there are a couple good videos on good ol' youtube there. (although some lingering around this forum are the better)

Demented
22nd September 2007, 05:42
I've probably already mentioned this to someone, but what about some admin/server owner only version? Too many times I've had to sit and spec IRIS to try and catch a speedhacking Hidden...

Demo it + Wireframe.

salith
22nd September 2007, 09:02

Good point... didn't think about that (since I don't use it)

Daedalus
22nd September 2007, 09:44

I never thought of that. Good idea.

Paegus
22nd September 2007, 10:01
it certainly has its appeal. and while it shouldn't be too hard to set up a hdn_overwatch "steamid,ipaddress,steamid:password,name:password,i paddress:password" cvar that lists players allowed to do it... it's not really needed since the whole demo + wireframe mode works fine: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7508110267511965299

Isolation
22nd September 2007, 23:42
Sure, demo and wireframe work good for players wanting to report a cheater, but as an admin, I'd want something a bit more... now.

Example: I'm over in SMG, full server. Some ass looks like he's cheating. So, I have to spend X amount of rounds spectating, recording a demo HOPING I'm looking through the right eyes to catch something and THEN having to drop out of the game to go watch the demo, all the while said ass could be destroying the server... by the time I might catch something, the server could be empty and "the bad guy" with them. I might have a demo, which means I can report him to others if I want, and get the owner of the server to ban, but that's almost pointless since it's after the fact, damage done.

With an admin/owner only 617 spec option, we can boot problem players then and there.

Paegus
23rd September 2007, 08:34
i suppose yeah. i haven't admined in ages though so usually didn't have direct access to the bannage.

still seems like something that would be better as a small 3rd party plugin. all you need to do is know what to attach the view to... assuming the hidden's is just skipped as opposed to physically removed.

Ging/Star?