PDA

View Full Version : Back to mapping.

Donat
14th September 2007, 15:32
I see that 4b is out now, and i think beta 5 is looming i was thinking (actualy iso jabbed at me) that i might get back to mapping for hidden, i was already busy with a Natural Selection map, and i was going to do a Natural Selection 2 map (waiting for other people to get organized before i start) now with hidden being updated again i was thinking about picking up or starting a new map.

So mainly this, I was wondering what people would want for a map, map concept or even if they had some ideas. currently i have 2 maps floating around in my files,

hdn_truckstop - A truck carring things for infinitum research crashes near a truckstop (Diner thing with bathroom and ajoinging garrage), when IRIS arrives on the location to secure the cargo the place is strangely empty.

and this one was origionly a compined work of me, snoopy and partly Iso

hdn_labratory - A rival labratory to Infinitum (or something i forget exact details) is reported to have 617 hiding somewhere within. IRIS brusts in to check it out, but what is found in this labratory?

Beyond that I'd much rather see what people WANT as a map rather then what i COULD make. So i was wondering what you guys want, :)

Boat Builder
14th September 2007, 16:10
I think i recall witnessing you saying something of this sort.

Make one of a Marine Land / Aquarium type situation. And there would have to be a walkway over a huge tank full of killer fish that eat whatever falls in!!!

And a dead dolphin somewhere!

Yes. Bubblegum.

Daedalus
14th September 2007, 16:33
And there would have to be a walkway over a huge tank full of killer fish that eat whatever falls in!!!

trigger_hurt. :p

Cheesey
14th September 2007, 17:44
I'd say think about a hex-map.

Donat
14th September 2007, 17:45
The only killer fish i can think of that work are the ones in that CS:S map that are goldfish (or KOI).

An interesting idea, some sort of underwater labratory, observation corridors for experements that are ongoing, reinforced glass (or not). Or maybe just an 'aquarim of the future' sorta thing.

Interesting, what do others want?

(Haha, trigger_hurt)

Add On:

Yes, hex. I've heard somewhat about that. What i'm wondering mainly for hex is that from what i just (re) read about it, its an escape thing for the IRIS but i don't know the exact intent for game.

Such as, does or should a HEX map flow from one room to another with different objectives or would it be more of a free range map senario where different things happen and you must fix them or cause them to do such things...

And they all seem extraction, sorta a 'get to the chopper' kinda thing is what i get from that.

Demented
14th September 2007, 19:31
I think it would be absolutely hilarious to have a killer fish tank. Provided you can do silly things with it...
I.e. Alarms go off when someone falls in, or the water becomes murky red, and/or the otherwise sedately-moving fish inside go helter-skelter all over the place. Though, with Source, that would be fitting a square peg into a round hole.
Otherwise it wouldn't be nearly as much fun.
(I do miss UT-style maps, with all their crazy environmental hazards.)

hdn_truckstop - A truck carring things for infinitum research crashes near a truckstop (Diner thing with bathroom and ajoinging garrage), when IRIS arrives on the location to secure the cargo the place is strangely empty.
Last time I saw a truck stop in a game was Prey. And it wasn't much of one. I like.

hdn_labratory - A rival labratory to Infinitum (or something i forget exact details) is reported to have 617 hiding somewhere within. IRIS brusts in to check it out, but what is found in this labratory?
Too generic; everyone and their mother has thought of a laboratory map for H:S. And there's an 'o' in there somewhere.

Isolation
14th September 2007, 19:44
Yes, hex. I've heard somewhat about that. What i'm wondering mainly for hex is that from what i just (re) read about it, its an escape thing for the IRIS but i don't know the exact intent for game.

Such as, does or should a HEX map flow from one room to another with different objectives or would it be more of a free range map senario where different things happen and you must fix them or cause them to do such things...

And they all seem extraction, sorta a 'get to the chopper' kinda thing is what i get from that.

From what I've seen thus far, HEX more or less can be whatever you want. In my case, IRIS goes in to investigate a situation, collect various evidences and leave, all while trying to fight a secondary failed subject. Escape is not so much the goal as completing mission objectives. But, yes, you could make a more "intense" choppah get to map, but you can also make a slower more methodical map, or a mix. The team (mostly Ging probably) have made the entities broad enough that one would never be stuck for not having a decent design, I think...

Donat
14th September 2007, 20:39
From what i read, the entities have a wide variety of possibilities from static pickup keycard thing to carry and drop, run the torch in a marathon to escape on your own or group up and rush the door.

I was just wondering what people would like MORE in that kinda map. I know i can think of what i would like to make but that doesn't matter if no one likes playing it.

MiasmicAnomie
14th September 2007, 23:37
Last time I saw a truck stop in a game was Prey. And it wasn't much of one. I like.

I'd like to see the truck stop from "Maximum Overdrive", as long as the "Happy Toyz" truck is in it, and there's lots of little physprops ;)

Donat
15th September 2007, 00:59
Ok i have an idea for a hex map now, i just have to get to work and work it all out in my head.

It will be an 'underwater' facility, exact plot details for why IRIS was sent to this facility are classified untill i finish most of the map.

brechtos
15th September 2007, 10:08
I have a great idea for a map but I'll wait untill b5 is relesed and untill I have more free time:D