PDA

View Full Version : increasing Hidden aggressiveness

ftobin
16th August 2007, 13:39
I just started playing The Hidden a few weeks ago, and one thing stuck out on me while playing as IRIS -- the game can get very slow waiting for The Hidden to make his appearance on a map. The round timers tend to be long, around 4-5 minutes, and there is little incentive for Hidden to be more aggressive, making the game lull for IRIS, as there is to do as IRIS when the Hidden is taking his time.

The game would have more appeal to play as IRIS and be faster-paced if there was incentive for the Hidden to attack more frequently. One idea is to have a timer on the Hidden so that he has to make kills more frequently. This timer could eat away at his life or his ability to remain cloaked. Of course, concerns about IRIS just running away all the time might exist -- there should be incentive for aggressiveness on their part as well. Running away tends to hurt IRIS members due to game mechanics anyways.

A more interesting option would be to give the IRIS team something to do during lull moments. I would appreciate others' suggestions for this.

Someone briefly mentioned something similar to my idea in a previous thread, but I want it to to be the focus of a discussion (http://forum.hidden-source.com/showthread.php?t=8627)

Daedalus
16th August 2007, 14:04
4-5 minutes is a good time for a full server. I personally run out of time playing hidden and trying to phys IRIS on a 4 min timer. But I can see what you mean with the hidden camping/not doing anything getting the IRIS bored. There's nothing that can be done about that imo, there will always be newbies in a game. :P

lcpuche
16th August 2007, 14:40
how about when the hidden has a buddy and he kill you at the beginning of the round, and lets the time run out, isn't that irritating.

Boat Builder
16th August 2007, 15:42
If the hidden isn't making any appearances, go and find him. :)

Just because he's invisible doesn't mean he gets to call the shots.

ftobin
16th August 2007, 16:03
If the hidden isn't making any appearances, go and find him. :)

Just because he's invisible doesn't mean he gets to call the shots.

The Hidden is nearly invisible, faster, and has a greater jumping capacity than IRIS. This especially can help him move into spaces which IRIS cannot reach. He does call the shots about when action happens. I don't mind the fact he does; I simply want him to be incentivized to attack sooner than later.

Paegus
16th August 2007, 17:17
depends on the players. a good iris can goad and trick the hidden into doing things or going places that the iris wants. nothing gets a nice "WTF!" like running around a corner and nailing the hidden because you know he's right there... ahh sewers...

starstriker1
16th August 2007, 19:35
I can appreciate that it can get slow, but keep in mind that the game is intended to be very slow paced, and very atmospheric. If the game is just constant action, there's no dramatic tension. There's nothing quite like the feeling of your teammates slowly dropping one by one...

-SM-SUCKER
16th August 2007, 20:16
Slow paced? Well it can be quite mixed. I like to attack in waves in which I try to get every IRIS member shooting at me and each other. Then after some 10-20 seconds I get away (if I'm still alive that is). In a perfect round no one dies until the last 2 raids. In between I keep them waiting but still knowing that I'm around by taunting a bit or moving stuff. And usually people enjoy this kind of action as do I.

ComeToJesus
17th August 2007, 05:38
I suggest a Mah Jong minigame for the IRIS to play.
This will make vent camping all the more tolerable.

-Silєηt-
17th August 2007, 19:40
4-5 min. is i think perfect..here are some reasons why:

1.shorter time will make ppl have the urge to pigstick more
2.some people like to use "strategy"to kill iris..which sometimes takes some time.
3.it would be too easy to kill hidden because they would be pretty much rushing.(especially if the hidden is a Noob).
4.nades would probly be everywhere...
5.think about BIG maps....for instance hdn_manor,hdn_docks, and hdn_sewers(you cant just go jumpin/flying around to well really fast at sewers..)
6.it takes some time to phys kill,sometimes ;)
7.its fun to use up most of the time to mess with iris;throw objects and bodies,taunt,slash the ground, and make iris waste ammo.....

there are many reasons why we wont decrease the time..... ;)

-SM-SUCKER
17th August 2007, 21:42
there are many reasons why we wont decrease the time..... ;)
IN BEFORE THE DEV!

Demented
17th August 2007, 21:57
Oh, this is too perfect.

1.shorter time will make ppl have the urge to pigstick more
2.some people like to use "strategy"to kill iris..which sometimes takes some time.
3.it would be too easy to kill hidden because they would be pretty much rushing.(especially if the hidden is a Noob).
4.nades would probly be everywhere...
5.think about BIG maps....for instance hdn_manor,hdn_docks, and hdn_sewers(you cant just go jumpin/flying around to well really fast at sewers..)
6.it takes some time to phys kill,sometimes ;)
7.its fun to use up most of the time to mess with iris;throw objects and bodies,taunt,slash the ground, and make iris waste ammo.....
1. Pigstick is limited in B5.
2. Don't play with your food, dear.
3. Experienced hiddens need 2 minutes, tops. If you want them to just slash the IRIS to death, that is.
4. Nades don't change with time, they're limited by number of IRIS.
5. Manor is out. Docks and Sewers are small... ish.
6-7. What? Aren't those reasons redundant to eachother? No reason they couldn't take 6 minutes, either.

Lastly and most importantly:
Servers can change the round time if they like. The typical time is merely a default. When Hidden was young, there many servers, and they'd vary the round time...

Paegus
18th August 2007, 00:13
IN BEFORE THE DEV!

seriously. that's what... the 3rd time "we've" done something? the only beta tester who can say that is star cuz he breaks stuff in the code for ging from time to time.

starstriker1
18th August 2007, 00:51
My code is PERFECTLY unbroken.

Okay, so it might have a bug here or there that Ging ends up catching.

...I occasionally fix things.

Paegus
18th August 2007, 00:55
:)

<Beatlemania>
18th August 2007, 03:24
I suggest a Mah Jong minigame for the IRIS to play.
This will make vent camping all the more tolerable.

lol have you read the april fools bulletin on the PVKII website? give the iris a DDR-like minigame to reload their guns, perhaps?

Digit*
18th August 2007, 10:46
The time is perfect as it is (in my humble opinion) it just gives some time to really get the scare in...you wont have to tri-slash everyone because you're limited to an albeit short time period. And if you have some good IRIS running around (with 303's perhaps) rushing can be suicidal, if not always resulting in atleast getting some health plugged off.

You atleast have some time to snatch corpses, feed, go back in and finish the job. Sure the game can be slow, but that basically the hidden who forfeits to attack in a decent way and chooses to camp somewhere and try not to get blown away in the first seconds (if he/she's a newbie) or just be an ass in general and waist precious game time, but hey shit happens...

Mayhem
18th August 2007, 14:40
Still the best method as the Hidden is to stay with the IRIS from the beginning to the end.

In waves or divide and conquer. Which ever suits you the best.

I miss Hidden, need to quit my life again. :p

Norodo
19th August 2007, 15:38
We should all quit our lives and play hidden :D

Hannibal
19th August 2007, 15:53
We should all quit our lives and play hidden :D

already done over here ^^