PDA

View Full Version : Campers

tons0phun
10th August 2007, 13:12
Do something about them.

It gets particularly annoying in levels like Sewers, where you can only come from one way or the other, down a narrow tunnel.

Don't get me wrong, I save my nades for players who do that, but it still detracts from the game a lot. I'd rather go toe to toe for a slash kill than splatter people forming a totem pole in a corner.

When I'm IRIS and I see another member camp, I'll just leave the server...or sometimes, shoot them :D. That, and the IRIS members are supposed to be hunting down 617, not curling up in a corner and wetting themselves while they wait for death.

I don't know exactly what means would be most appropriate for dealing with it, so I'll leave that up to your creative talents.

Felf
10th August 2007, 13:21
"The IRIS members are meant to be hunting the hidden"... Whilst that's kinda true, it's much harder for them to hunt the hidden than for the hidden to hunt them. Really, the hidden is the predator here.

"Sometimes I shoot them" - Don't. Do that on a server with active admin (or over-zealous server scripts) and you'll likely get banned. And rightly so.

Whilst I'll agree that camping *can* be a problem, especially since IRIS wins if the round ends, it would be even worse if Hidden won on round end (can you *imagine* if a hidden camped? :( We've all played rounds with AFKers)... Generally, there are good tactics to get round them - nades being the main ones. OK, so perhaps you shouldn't *have* to kill them with nades, but use them tactically and make use of the shellshock effect. If it's *really* a problem, find a server with fairly active admin (who will, likely as not, slap camping players), or some server-side scripts designed to stop camping (player doesn't move more than a meter for 30seconds -> slap or slay). To be honest... just get over it.

And on NO account should you EVER TK or TD. It will get you kicked or banned on alot of servers, no matter what the reason is.

Specht
10th August 2007, 14:56
But in Sewers when the nade explodes on the water, and the player is not touching the water, he takes no damage, even the nade exploding a few inches from him, if that gets fixed, it will be easy to get an end to those corner campers :rolleyes:

Daedalus
10th August 2007, 16:22
But in Sewers when the nade explodes on the water, and the player is not touching the water, he takes no damage, even the nade exploding a few inches from him, if that gets fixed, it will be easy to get an end to those corner campers :rolleyes:

Well, you can learn to bounce the nade in such a way that it airbursts.

It's how I got a triplekill in that corner near the gen room once...

starstriker1
10th August 2007, 18:17
Most of the maps have been revised in order to remove some of the nastier camping spots (or even outright exploits).

Aside from that, anti-camping setups are usually too intrusive. I can appreciate that it can be tough to unroot a person who has rooted themselves to a tactically superior spot, but do keep in mind that you have the advantage of knowing exactly where they are at all times (good for you), while they are forced into a purely reactive position (bad for them). You'd be surprised at how often you can sneak in right under their nose or do something that completely ruins their best laid plans.

Zabiela
10th August 2007, 18:46
Most of the maps have been revised in order to remove some of the nastier camping spots (or even outright exploits).

Yeah this will surprise you. Example: no more sitting on the pipes around stalkyard's box room, no more of those annoying vents in that level either.

Demented
10th August 2007, 18:50
Don't forget throwable objects, either.

Sadly, there aren't quite enough barrels in the game to permit burying a camper underneath a bundle... Not that you need to.

Daedalus
10th August 2007, 19:34
Sadly, there aren't quite enough barrels in the game to permit burying a camper underneath a bundle... Not that you need to.

Oh yes we do. Camper + barrel touching said camper + punt = one ragdoll peeking half-way through the wall. :D

Boat Builder
10th August 2007, 21:19
That, and the IRIS members are supposed to be hunting down 617, not curling up in a corner and wetting themselves while they wait for death.

Camping can be annoying. But remember that as a primarily stealth game, cautious IRIS members really add to the fun of the round. Nobody cares if a body drops from on high if the IRIS is to busy running around to notice.

Anyhoo, i'd rather they camp than rampage all about. Camping is bothersome sometimes, but in the end, it's the wandering IRIS' that shoot you up while you contemplate how to best approach the campers.

In sewers it can be a problem, but most of the time if you can manage to whack one of em with a big ol' pallet, and get your bumblebees out of the way fast (preferably on top / beside them), they'll do the rest.
Some of my favorite experiences in The Hidden has been attacking a fortified IRIS camp-zone. (vent-room usually) Sometimes it's really just good times :D

Remember, most campers aren't a very bright lot. They seem to think hiding away until everybody else has had their chance at the hidden will give them good odds on being hidden next round. :rolleyes:

-Silєηt-
11th August 2007, 00:30
Do something about them.

I'd rather go toe to toe for a slash kill than splatter people forming a totem pole in a corner.

perfect way of describing it ahah i cant belive ive never thought of that =P

Demented
11th August 2007, 06:29
If only you could get a special axe to deal with those totem poles... No, wait, first we need to glue the IRIS together so they teeter over when you chop–... kill the one at the bottom.

lcpuche
11th August 2007, 15:11
those totems are the best way to get nade kills

Euphoria
11th August 2007, 15:39
Don't get me wrong, I save my nades for players who do that, but it still detracts from the game a lot. I'd rather go toe to toe for a slash kill than splatter people forming a totem pole in a corner

Your kidding me right? I love 'em totem poles, one nade and two slashes later your've got two quick kills, and who cares if its cheap tactics because they're using them in the first place! Can't wait for punt though, still have never seen a pigstick+barrel kill (mostly because I'm always on PS=OFF servers.)

Paegus
11th August 2007, 15:42
as far as totems go why not just go CSS on it and have a limit to how many people can get on top of each other before they start sliding off. and if you're feeling really evil, hard coded/cheat cvar'd 1 person limit but they BOTH holster their guns (ladder style) since ideally their hands are somewhat occupied. if one of them is reloading when they try the jumper slips right off.

Demented
11th August 2007, 16:55
Well, if you coded it to full visual effect, you would end up with a new "humping" feature.

Fortunately for internet sanity, no development team yet has ever tried.

-SM-SUCKER
11th August 2007, 17:45
hard coded/cheat cvar'd 1 person limit but they BOTH holster their guns (ladder style) since ideally their hands are somewhat occupied.
That means if someone raises his hands and no one is on top of him it's the Hidden, slashing a defensless IRIS ...

:)

Euphoria
11th August 2007, 20:08
Well, if you coded it to full visual effect, you would end up with a new "humping" feature.

No you wouldn't, you've forgotten full audio effect as well :D .

Paegus
11th August 2007, 23:28
That means if someone raises his hands and no one is on top of him it's the Hidden, slashing a defensless IRIS ...

:)

nah an iris only effect... though on that note: auto-crouching would be interesting. if anyone is on top of you, you crouch under their weight... gives a clue in if the hidden has landed on your head... because let's face it, he might be a skinny bastard but he's no a feather.

Pan the Goat God
12th August 2007, 13:32
Do something about them.

Kill them.

Cheesey
12th August 2007, 19:49
Isnt there also an admin-plugin that avoids camping? At least there is a plugin for CS, I've seen it, when you are not moving (just turning) or moving to less there'll appear a waringn like "Stop camping", and if you don't move after this warning, he'll get killed....

IamwatchingU
14th August 2007, 08:48
Save your nades, if they camp a corner in a narrow corridor that is hard to nade (such as sews) use ur noggin', there's pipes up there for a reason and you can't really watch both ways at once (unless u have a tiny-ass monitor which makes it harder to see the hidden anyway). What i mean by that is you can have both pathways leadin' to you on-screen at the same-time, but your eyes must look left to right quickly when you're watchin' for him and u can tell if they saw u jump up on a pipe or in their general direction when they give a random shot, if they don't do shiat then you're probably clear to pounce on their head(s).

Also i don't play PS servers, but if you do then just save ur PS's for the campers to end their lives quickly.

I won't admit that i hate corner campers, because sadly even with my god-like hidden skillz I still have had to resort to it, yes... even in the sews, SUE ME!!! (plx don't sue me i was jk i already got too many damn fines/bills DAMN YOU PERRY COUNTY PARAPHERNALIA/CANNABIS POSSESSION CHARGES!!! Also fuck da police, YEAH BOY!)