PDA

View Full Version : DX9 Visibility issue?

salith
9th August 2007, 16:04
Hidden jumping by stairs to left;
http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/1462/derelictdx9camerabk9.th.jpg (http://img162.imageshack.us/my.php?image=derelictdx9camerabk9.jpg)

Hidden by the left of the gas tank (using Light Amp goggles as my Radeon 9200 tends to run a little dark);
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/706/discoverydx9lightampvl7.th.jpg (http://img263.imageshack.us/my.php?image=discoverydx9lightampvl7.jpg)

Are these too visible for the Hidden to be?
I was previously using DirectX 8.1 but the reading this forum highly recommended forcing your card to go to DX90 if it could, so I did, and this is how it now looks.
Is this how others see the Hidden or is there something weird with my drivers (6.11)??

Paegus
9th August 2007, 17:35
set it to 8.1

you can't force a card to use a direct x level it doesn't support. those screenies look like dx7 to me though.

salith
9th August 2007, 17:38
Ah right... so that's what it looks like. I'll be glad when I get my upgrade in 4 weeks time. Ah well, back to DX8.1 then :)

Digit*
9th August 2007, 18:11
Yes well i was wondering, since i'm running dx 9.0 as well (9.0c) i was wondering if that looked too much like using dx7? Since i can quite clearly see him from a distance (up close and personal is fairly visable) and cus of that i still get most of my kills.

But with the coming of beta5, not supporting anything lower then dx8 (wich will purge those dx7 morons out of the system), will the visability of the Hidden be altered for the other dx versions too?

(The hidden looks like most of the screenshots made on the official hidden site with the screenies on my computer btw, you can really see him "bend" the light around him.)

Paegus
9th August 2007, 19:17
will the visability of the Hidden be altered for the other dx versions too?

no

but i doubt that will stop people from raging about how much harder it is to see him now... despite the fact that i think it's actually easier. :O

Boxy
9th August 2007, 19:35
But with the coming of beta5, not supporting anything lower then dx8 (wich will purge those dx7 morons out of the system), will the visability of the Hidden be altered for the other dx versions too?

no

but i doubt that will stop people from raging about how much harder it is to see him now... despite the fact that i think it's actually easier. :O

Yeah....about that. I have actually changed the way the Refract shader works on 617 so it actually uses a normalmap for DX9 (as before) and uses a 'true' DU/DV map for DX8 (used a mostly black and bit of yellow image before, bad bad bad) in an attempt to stop the BHS and to make DX9 and DX8 closer to each other if possible.

The feedback from the medium to hardcore players has been that 617 is too easy to see at far to medium range and some don't even struggle to see him up close, so I've actually tweaked him to be harder to see. This is up for severe playtesting this week so it isn't set in stone at the moment, we may go back to how he was in B4.

Paegus
9th August 2007, 19:49
oh... so it's not just a vista/dx10 thingy?

-SM-SUCKER
9th August 2007, 20:05
Jo salith, I have been playing with you and was testing you to see if you have a black Hidden because your spotting was a bit too good. But I left you for good, beeing sure you don't have bhs. Seeing the white hidden there explains a lot.
Btw, your aiming with the 303 was a real challange!

Cheesey
9th August 2007, 20:06
The feedback from the medium to hardcore players has been that 617 is too easy to see at far to medium range and some don't even struggle to see him up close, so I've actually tweaked him to be harder to see. This is up for severe playtesting this week so it isn't set in stone at the moment, we may go back to how he was in B4.

You know there will be threads with quotes like this after the B5 release. AFAIK after every release people thought "WTF you maed the hiddon more invisibble!!!1 oMG I cant see3 anything!!!!"... now you can't say, "We've nothing changed on the visibilty of 617 since B1" ;)

Whatever they say, thank you for testing it!

Digit*
9th August 2007, 20:18
That clarifies a lot (and forgive me for my total newbness on some words/terms) but what does: 'true' DU/DV map ; mean btw? Is it just a shader being pulled over the Hidden or a texture?

C0/\/f/_/s3d FTW!! :D

salith
10th August 2007, 07:26
Btw, your aiming with the 303 was a real challange!
Thanks... even without the glitch I posted above, I'm actually liking the weapon, especially in the closed-in maps :)
Just need to get my tactics when playing as Hidden sorted... that and figuring out jumps.
But yeah, I thought it might have been a bug/glitch after I forced my Radeon 9200 to DX9, so I posted here after the fact to find out, so now it seems I know what the DX7 issue looks like :eek:

Also, what is BHS and who were you when I was playing?

-SM-SUCKER
10th August 2007, 09:05
I am The Dark Prince.
BHS means Black Hidden Syndrom. Some older graphic cards together with old drivers cannot render the Hiddens shader properly and just draw a pitch black texture... not really Hidden.

salith
10th August 2007, 10:54
Ah right... terrible with names :)

Does anyone know if an nVidia 6100 is good in DX9 mode with Hidden? Motherboard comes with one on-board and a PCIe slot which I'll upgrade into at a later stage (once I have more money).

Boxy
10th August 2007, 11:12
Ah right... terrible with names :)

Does anyone know if an nVidia 6100 is good in DX9 mode with Hidden? Motherboard comes with one on-board and a PCIe slot which I'll upgrade into at a later stage (once I have more money).

I'd say that you pretty much safe with specs like these (http://www.nvidia.com/page/gpu_mobo_features.html). An upgrade wouldn't hurt but this isnt too bad for onboard. I'm sure it must have cut corners somewhere, most onboard GFX setups are rubbish. It does support DX9.0 and PS 3.0 so you should be safe as houses for now.

salith
10th August 2007, 12:38
Well it's most likely got less pipelines and a smaller bandwidth, as well as drawing from main memory (won't be a problem, got 1Gb planned to begin with), but I was checking if it'd be fine in true DX9 mode, as this Radeon 9200 says it's DX9 compliant, but obviously isn't (shader 1.4/1.1)

Ging
10th August 2007, 16:22
Being DX9 compliant doesn't mean being PS2.0 compliant.

salith
13th August 2007, 14:45
Ah, never saw anything about what Pixel Shaders were required for what DX level.