PDA

View Full Version : credit for damage



lcpuche
30th July 2007, 19:18
I've been playing lately and ive noticed that most of the time some people do 98 damage then then someone else gets the hidden.

perhaps score should not be based on killing him but on how much damage you do.

for example: if i do 90 damage and someone else does 10, i should get 9 points and he 1 point

Weights:
also weighing when you do 98% of damage you should at least have a 75% of election, instead of the other guy having a 50% - 60% chance of getting hidden when he only did 10 to 20 damage, and you having a 40%.

Paegus
30th July 2007, 20:21
i vaguely recall the kill bonus being dropped a bit anyway.

though if the damage system could be fixed so that you can't take 24hp from someone who only has 2hp left then it would pretty much work out the same as you'd wind up with 98 vs 52 as opposed to 98 vs 74

on that note, doing 98dmg really doesn't count for squat. i have this memory of recovering from 1 hp to kill the entire team. though it probably only stuck because i was 303ed and even went to far as to type "/dies" right when i thought i was gonna drop, but then i didn't.

Sonic
8th August 2007, 21:44
Did you just suggest something that already exists? Dear god, I think you did.

Paegus
9th August 2007, 06:14
and how exactly does it already exist?

Daedalus
9th August 2007, 07:03
Well, what he's suggesting is basically weighting with the smaller kill bonus from what I can gather.

lcpuche
9th August 2007, 13:43
gosh is my English that bad :o

what I mean is that doing damage gives you a score for example if you wound someone 10 damage you get 1 point

and yes im also suggesting a small if not none kill bonus.

Ging
9th August 2007, 14:15
That's what weighting is...

-SM-SUCKER
9th August 2007, 15:14
I think he wants the score board to show not you kills but the amount of damage dealt

lcpuche
9th August 2007, 15:20
I think he wants the score board to show not you kills but the amount of damage dealt
YES THANK YOU!

Ging
9th August 2007, 15:54
Why?

lcpuche
9th August 2007, 16:34
because some people including me do 98% of the damage the the hidden panicks and gets killed by someone else who only does about 2 damage and, they get the points

Ging
9th August 2007, 17:12
So? You should make sure you do the full set of damage...

Digit*
9th August 2007, 17:51
I think he's referring to the points you get for killing a hidden, ergo he does 99 but due to circomstances the Hidden escapes but then gets pistol wacked by someone else who only does 1 dmg and gets all the credit for the frag. Maybe you can devide the two-points-for-a-kill amongst the person who does the most dmg, and the one that actually kills the hidden.

And ging, i'm pretty sure you know best that killing a hidden can be pretty annoying sometimes due to Valve's crappy coding (hit detection and all) and lose a frag when you should have been the one to get it.

Ging
9th August 2007, 19:07
Fact of the matter is, the point for the kill doesn't even really matter - to the point where we've discussed doing away with displaying "points" on the scoreboard at all.

Felf
9th August 2007, 19:17
Fact of the matter is, the point for the kill doesn't even really matter - to the point where we've discussed doing away with displaying "points" on the scoreboard at all.

QFT - I was about to hit "reply" and suggest exactly that... then I read that you'd already discussed :)

Cheesey
9th August 2007, 19:24
I also thought at the beginning icpuche meant the weighting so he becomes hidden when he does 90HP damage.... (Cause I also hate this unfair +50 points for doing 2HP damage...5.... :) )

But this is also a nice idea. The score board will be filled with higher numbers, but it would be a lil bit fairer, than it is right now...

sounds nice...

Paegus
9th August 2007, 19:25
yeah personally i'd be down for that but they tried it with counter-strike way back iirc and it failed to various proportions of that 'epic' thing... i can't see the average kill jockey going for it even in hidden.


and as for getting points for helping with the kill...
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/7383/hitpointsig8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Cheesey
9th August 2007, 19:57
or just another coloum for the hitpoints, to see who is the lucky hurter and who the lucky killer ;)

Digit*
9th August 2007, 20:08
Fact of the matter is, the point for the kill doesn't even really matter - to the point where we've discussed doing away with displaying "points" on the scoreboard at all.

Fair enough, but it is not yet confirmed that point display will be gone forgood is it? And should you actually implement it how will it fair with the Hidden-stats? Does it not need a point system to make it work or will it be entirely done by the console stat logs?


i can't see the average kill jockey going for it even in hidden.

Yes but we're not avarage are we :p

Btw very nice Monty Python screenie..."Come back here! I CAN STILL BITE YOU! RAWR!" roflcopter x10

Demented
9th August 2007, 20:44
Fair enough, but it is not yet confirmed that point display will be gone forgood is it? And should you actually implement it how will it fair with the Hidden-stats? Does it not need a point system to make it work or will it be entirely done by the console stat logs?

1. It might get done for B5, it (most likely) might not. First, someone has to decide what will replace it.

2. Correct, Hidden-Stats relies on the logs; it doesn't need the scoreboard.

Felf
10th August 2007, 12:17
Does anything need to replace it at all? If players really needed to know how 1337 they were, there could be a leader board - no numerical values, just the players listed in order of goodness... "Karma" could be calculated by a simple algorithm - something like

(damage/10 + hiddenkills + physkills + iris kills - deaths - pigsticks/slashkills)/teamkills...

The numbers wouldn't have to be particularly neat, just so that a rough estimate of "goodness" can be found server side, then the players listed in order of karma scores... It wouldn't be a hard thing to do (I hope), the values need not be displayed (I haven't exactly thought very hard about that calculation, but one similar to that ought to give a reasonable measure of karma) and all the values required are already stored in memory anyway (I think - if not they're certainly in the logs, and it'd only be an int. variable per player to keep them in memory)...

Infact, I would suggest this be done regardless of what happens with scoreboards - but on the hidden-stats site; ranking based on a karma system would be nice to all those players who like to see themselves ranked, but would avoid all the disadvantages that go along with it. Would just be one more of the leaderboards, alongside lemmings/teamkillers/physkillers etc... But really this is something for another thread.

-SM-SUCKER
10th August 2007, 12:50
"Karma"
Teamkills should be added to the points of the Hidden *evil grin*.
After all it's most likely his actions that drive people to suffer from friendly fire (if it was an accident).

Felf
10th August 2007, 12:57
Teamkills should be added to the points of the Hidden *evil grin*.
After all it's most likely his actions that drive people to suffer from friendly fire (if it was an accident).

You are SO right. I always thought there should be more reward for leaping into the middle of the iris :)

Demented
10th August 2007, 18:47
Infact, I would suggest this be done regardless of what happens with scoreboards - but on the hidden-stats site; ranking based on a karma system would be nice to all those players who like to see themselves ranked, but would avoid all the disadvantages that go along with it. Would just be one more of the leaderboards, alongside lemmings/teamkillers/physkillers etc... But really this is something for another thread.

There are no leaderboards/rankings of that sort in order to discourage people from playing ultra-competitively. No matter how vague you make the scoring system, somebody somewhere is going to figure out that they go higher the more they "pwn" people.

Hence why all the leaderboards are made for things that no competitive basis... Who's going to compete over being a teamkiller? (And, Battle.net aside, who's going to compete over being a lemming?)

lcpuche
15th August 2007, 12:26
I also thought at the beginning icpuche meant the weighting so he becomes hidden when he does 90HP damage.... (Cause I also hate this unfair +50 points for doing 2HP damage...5.... :) )

But this is also a nice idea. The score board will be filled with higher numbers, but it would be a lil bit fairer, than it is right now...

sounds nice...
Yes i also meant that happens to me a lot.

Felf
15th August 2007, 16:06
There are no leaderboards/rankings of that sort in order to discourage people from playing ultra-competitively. No matter how vague you make the scoring system, somebody somewhere is going to figure out that they go higher the more they "pwn" people.

Hence why all the leaderboards are made for things that no competitive basis... Who's going to compete over being a teamkiller? (And, Battle.net aside, who's going to compete over being a lemming?)

I guess - I just kinda figured that with something a bit vague like this it would be easier to avoid "pwn"age... :(

Anyway, this is a discussion for another topic...