PDA

View Full Version : Been thinking about sound lately.

Ritalin
24th June 2007, 07:38
So i have been thinking about mood in this game and how the music plays a big part. The problem is, that after some time in the game the music become predictable. The only point it serves when this happens is to occasionally become so loud that you cant hear footsteps and sometimes knife slashes. Past this however its just random noise that I tend to channel out.

I think that mood could be generated much more by triggered sound effects. Im NOT saying to remove the music. I do how ever feel that some of the new levels could go with out it and use other divices to create mood through sound. I think that hdn_decay would be an excellent map to try this on.

In place of music on this map you could use things like the sound of the lightning outside. If the sound was randomized with varying levels of loudness it could act as a nice little jolt to a quiet, still moment. Also the use of triggered sounds like, creaky spots on the floor, puddles, active keys on the piano, the creaking of chains on the chandelier. This would add another level of head games for a talented hidden.

I may get a back lash on this next one but ima go for it anyway. I think that rain could be used in spots with open roofs. I know the problems that are caused by the hidden occluding the rain behind him. However I have played around with this in hammer and find that if the right amount of rain is used its drawback is no worse then any of the other issues caused by alpha textures. I think it could add a nice little visual effect to these sections of the map, not to mention the bonus of a nice loud static sound. If the volume is loud enough on the rain it should distort the direction of other sounds to a certain degree.

Maybe there are some resource constraints that I am not aware of that would prohibit these type of effects.

What do you guys think?

ComeToJesus
24th June 2007, 07:46
Terrible suggestion. Also, I despise you.

But seriously, I'm all for various ambient sounds in place of or in addition to music. Also sounds that the hidden can trigger like a piano would make many happy.

VoiceOfDecember
24th June 2007, 07:57
I'm all for polish and depth of maps and sutch. Rain probably is asking too much (even though it would be totally awesome) but the trigger of sounds would be good. I would hate to have some child dancing on a piano, spamming the set audio cue and totally ruining the atmosphere.

Daedalus
24th June 2007, 18:14
I replaced the traindepot soundtrack with the origin one. It got on my nerves after a month or so. Besides, the origin one seems less loud.

Prometheus
24th June 2007, 19:48
The hunt for the radio at 1 minute thirty seconds left is on my friend!

Ritalin
25th June 2007, 15:53
The hunt for the radio at 1 minute thirty seconds left is on my friend!

OH OH OH! That would be great. Quick question can an entity with a sound tied to it (radio) be moved with the sound following its location?

Oh that would be so creepy to hear the radio near you suddenly go silent (hidden takes it out of audible rang) only to start hearing it again from another direction getting louder and louder as it gets closer to you. Then "BANG" a small radio playing Mel Torme takes your head off. Followed by laughter and silly quotes about RadioHead or the like.

Paegus
25th June 2007, 16:58
yes but it's not exactly straight forward: http://forum.hidden-source.com/showthread.php?p=117108

Sphinx
25th June 2007, 17:51
I for one would like to see the music go, or get toned down. The cemetary music gets awefully loud and takes away from the atmo. Triggered sounds would be an awesome addition. Walking on glass, hitting a piano, creaky floors and doors. That would scare the hell outta me much more than some music.

Demented
25th June 2007, 21:25
If you want to replace a sound, replace the slash sound... Cookie cutter...

Ging
25th June 2007, 23:32
The cemetary music gets awefully loud and takes away from the atmo. Triggered sounds would be an awesome addition. Walking on glass, hitting a piano, creaky floors and doors. That would scare the hell outta me much more than some music.

Cemetary music?

Triggered sounds might be slightly atmospheric, but only for a couple of rounds - until you know what triggers them and people start doing it whenever they feel like it.

Sphinx
25th June 2007, 23:42
Cemetary music?

Triggered sounds might be slightly atmospheric, but only for a couple of rounds - until you know what triggers them and people start doing it whenever they feel like it.

I meant the music that plays in hdn_cemetary

khu
26th June 2007, 05:18
There's no such official map as 'hdn_cemetary'...so that suggestion would be for whoever put whatever music that is into the map, not for the H:S dev team.

Paegus
26th June 2007, 05:50

randomizing triggers is pretty easy though so it doesn't have to happen every time in the same place.

Ritalin
8th July 2007, 06:47
Cemetary music?

Well that was kind of the point. At first it would just be noises coming from random directions until people started finding where the triggers are. But at that point the decent too master players would start using these triggers as headgames.

randomizing triggers is pretty easy though so it doesn't have to happen every time in the same place.

BINGO!!! Several random triggers in one section of the map would keep it from getting too predictable.

Specht
9th July 2007, 21:56
I agree completely with the sound trigger thingy

Just imagine, 6 I.R.I.S members on a room with a piano (just an example) and then suddenly something plays the piano, everybody shoots at it, but the Hidden has already pounced off and is behind someone!

It could be used as a distraction, or to "call" the other players into that room :D

Paegus
9th July 2007, 22:27
the main problem with the piano is that the hidden can trigger the sound as he flies past and it will diligently play the whole sequence even when he's miles away. if they can rig up an un-use trigger or something like those valves you need to keep turning in hl2 to toggle the sound as opposed to just trigger it.

quick and dirty method that comes to mind might be to have a hidden-specific trigger around the keyboard that stops the track on end_all_touch (or whatever it is)... because the iris shouldn't really be wasting time playing the piano tbh.

woudl be really cool to have the track pause instead and continue where it left off the next time he triggers it... but i wont be holding my breath as it may not be within the realm of possibilities and een if it is the entity work might be a little too expensive to make it worth the effort. but hey if it's not and isn't... BOXY??! :D

Boxy
10th July 2007, 07:02
At the minute it plays when you are in close proximity to the front of the piano and fades out over 3 secs if you leave the front of the piano. You don't have to even use the piano at the moment. I can't control where the sound starts and stops (at least I don't think so, off the top of my head)

Would you prefer to have to use the piano as I have a solution in my head for that now...

-SM-SUCKER
10th July 2007, 07:47
Would you prefer to have to use the piano as I have a solution in my head for that now...
YES

Paegus
10th July 2007, 15:00
YES

quoted for agreement

i dont have steam installed right now (re-re-doing this box) so i can't check for alternatives either. i hadn't noticed the auto-play feature though. guess i haven't played the map in a while. :S

/fails in duty as unofficial nitpicker of doom..

Boxy
10th July 2007, 15:34
You dont have the versions I have at the mo, I have made changes in the last week. The music slider works now, tada!

Paegus
10th July 2007, 20:28
ala

...something like those valves you need to keep turning in hl2...
?

either way :thumbsup:
/baiting of breath ensues...