PDA

View Full Version : Spectator Cameras

Genre
23rd June 2007, 18:05
I'm suggesting an additional way to select a camera when you aree spectating.

My idea is to create a vgui like that of the radio chat for IRIS and voice for 617, but this vgui simply selects a camera for you.

When you push your radio chat window key and the vgui comes up, have each panel display the name of a camera location, and when you click, you're there.

I haven't been able to figure out how this would work when spectating from the IRIS POV, but for the cameras I believe it is definately doable.

Prometheus
23rd June 2007, 18:18
So rather than cycle through each camera to get to the one you want they all come up ala radio flower and you choose which one? I like :) Mind you there is little else like watching you corpse get dragged off and eaten. Come beta 5 the spectator side of things will be slightly more enjoyable. A top notch suggestion I say. Bravo!

Genre
23rd June 2007, 18:21
Yes, that's the idea.

I've found myself sitting on a camera, and I'll hear gunshots. I think if you know the map you should be able to just select the appropriate camera to see the action instead of scroll through, for example, all of hdn_manor which has a fair amount of areas where you often miss everything just trying to get there.

Demented
23rd June 2007, 20:25
Mappers can put any number of spectator cams as they want in a map. It'd be an... unusual thing to make a radio flower that could properly accomodate an effectively random number of cameras.

Perhaps a gallery-like menu would be more flexible, with a scroll button as the cameras increase in number.

Genre
23rd June 2007, 20:40
That's true.

The radio flower idea would work if there was a limit of 8 cameras.

Ging
24th June 2007, 13:46
An artificial limit of 8 would make spectating via cameras even more dull than it is now (we're aware that it's dull, there's just not a lot we can do about it!)

Niar
26th June 2007, 23:18
An artificial limit of 8 would make spectating via cameras even more dull than it is now (we're aware that it's dull, there's just not a lot we can do about it!)
Instead of making it based on the menu, try making a different menu, like the on in CS:S (Pushing ctrl gives you a choice of player or camera view and which player/location it would be).

ungachuck
17th July 2007, 17:33
Or you could do it like a CCTV room for example, and have all the cameras infront of you at one time and when you move your mouse cursor over it it could zoom in? I don't know if this would work in practice with regarding code and what not.

Prometheus
17th July 2007, 20:03
That idea has been floating around for quite a while now in many different forms. I suppose "dieing" then respawning in a van or control centre just outside map boundaries under the floor or something, and having tv stations is a good idea but im sure there are complications that I know nothing about stopping that..

Isolation
17th July 2007, 20:27
Could just default to the IRIS cams when you die, rather than the spec cams... then just implement a more interesting IRIS cam hud ala Aliens or some such (with the character name, not player).

Demented
17th July 2007, 21:25
That idea has been floating around for quite a while now in many different forms. I suppose "dieing" then respawning in a van or control centre just outside map boundaries under the floor or something, and having tv stations is a good idea but im sure there are complications that I know nothing about stopping that..

I don't think DirectX 9.0 can support more than four different cameras at a time.

starstriker1
18th July 2007, 01:37
Why would that be a DX9 limitation? All it is (I am assuming) is special map portals. If there's a limit, it's engine enforced.

Demented
18th July 2007, 05:04
They don't use map portals, they're using render targets. Dx9 doesn't allow more than 4 render targets. It probably doesn't work quite that simply, but you ultimately can't have more than 4 cameras all on the same screen in Source.

(I checked and the limit is upped to 8 in dx10. Whoopie.)

...Map portals?

Paegus
18th July 2007, 06:21
map portals would be lol... mobile portals would be cooler. imagine a bug where you can get a gun as a spectator and fire through the portals...

Diego
19th July 2007, 18:32
7 dead IRIS...all of them shooting at the hidden through the portals. Would make it hell of a lot more difficult for the hidden ;)

starstriker1
19th July 2007, 19:55
I do know that you can use portals do do some wierd stuff, mirrors, cameras, and non Euclidean level design included.

Paegus
19th July 2007, 20:59
too bad you can't muck with orientation yet (sorta like prey but without those silly 'pads')

my ultimate goal in life is to make a map of that final stair bit from Labyrinth.

Ging
19th July 2007, 21:03
You could, in theory, write a bit of code that would alter orientations and allow just that sort of thing - though you'd need to wait for the ep 2 sdk update.

starstriker1
19th July 2007, 21:04
Does the ep2 SDK update let you dig a bit deeper into the engine?

Demented
19th July 2007, 23:00
You can already teleport yourself upside down and all sorts of things, but it doesn't change your collision box or how you move. In fact, it pretty much just effects the camera, I think.

my ultimate goal in life is to make a map of that final stair bit from Labyrinth.

Eh? I don't recall a stair bit...

Ging
19th July 2007, 23:44
Does the ep2 SDK update let you dig a bit deeper into the engine?

Nah, it'll just let you use portals.

Demented
20th July 2007, 02:55
Portals as in Portal?
Are we certain those aren't a special form of camera output with a finely-tuned teleport?

Though it would be neat if they weren't...

Paegus
20th July 2007, 06:20
Eh? I don't recall a stair bit...

it's right at the end when she finally remembers the rest of the story/poem/whatever... she's running through doorways and up stairs chasing... toby? and bowie is always somewhere else upside down and so on...

it falls apart at the end before she wakes up.

Ging
20th July 2007, 09:27
Portals as in Portal?
Are we certain those aren't a special form of camera output with a finely-tuned teleport?

No - but I can't see a mod doing them "properly" without some example code (exite mod doesn't really count, as that's blatantly not right).