PDA

View Full Version : Unbindable Key?

drknoerz
16th June 2007, 17:00
Might be a general source engine thingy - but since Iīm registered here, I maybe ask you guys first. Maybe you have run into this one, too.

I just bought a new notebook, and of course hidden has to be hiding on it, too ;) everything works just perfectly - if there wasnīt one key that isnīt responding.

itīs the key between the left shift button and the y-button (z in us layout).

according to a picture which i found for configuring the keyoard in source games it should be bindable as "/".

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/9768/tastaturcssjl9.th.jpg (http://img508.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tastaturcssjl9.jpg)

Whatever, in the console the key respondes with "<". In bound both in my confic, and its binding them properly (checkt if they are bound right in the console - both are bound with +duck)

but in a game, nothing happens, when i hit the button. on a normal keyboard I wouldnt hesitate to move my hand to another keyset - but on this notebook its the only place where i can put my hand without activating the touchpad :(

Ging
16th June 2007, 17:03
It's possible that the notebook treats it as a different key (for whatever reason) so it doesn't register properly within source.

Paegus
16th June 2007, 17:17
yeah i have the same key and it's just as unbindable but i use autohotkey though so just reassign it to something else (in this case \) while playing a source engine (Valve001) game... along with the caps lock (to right-shift) and the windows button (nothing) :)

#InstallKeybdHook
#InstallMouseHook

;; STUFF

#IfWinActive ahk_class Valve001
{
;; Evil Windows button
LWin::
;Do nuttink
return

;; Switch capslock for voice chat without inadvertent SHOUTINGS
CapsLock::RShift

;; Virtual key madness... bloody Spartan keyboards!
SC056::\

}

;; OTHER STUFF

your Scan Code # might vary depending on your keyboard but you can find out what it is by using the AHK's key history.

drknoerz
16th June 2007, 17:27
@ging - hmm, but in the source-console it recognises it - so I donīt think so.

@paegus - interesting. do I understand right: you use autohotkey to load a different set of "key-assignments" everytime before you start a source game? if so, Iīll definetly check out this program

Zabiela
16th June 2007, 18:36
Thats a good spot for the \ (at least better than above the enter key), but whats the point in switching z and y?

Bah, I guess im just still angry I had to deal with azerty keyboards for 3 years. Stupid azerty :p

Paegus
16th June 2007, 18:47
@paegus - interesting. do I understand right: you use autohotkey to load a different set of "key-assignments" everytime before you start a source game? if so, I&#180;ll definetly check out this program

no i leave it running in the back ground all the time. it automatically detects the window class or title (class "Valve001" in this case) and effectively rebinds the keys so any calls to the SC056 key are replied to with backslash (which is actually SC02B). i have a bunch of other hotkeys & shortcuts i've made for other apps and general use. those were just the ones i've made for source games.

drknoerz
17th June 2007, 14:22
no i leave it running in the back ground all the time. it automatically detects the window class or title (class "Valve001" in this case) and effectively rebinds the keys so any calls to the SC056 key are replied to with backslash (which is actually SC02B).

even better - thanks for the tip!

edit: just gave it a try with your script. the key rebinds just as wanted - but instead of ducking and stay ducked while holding it pressed, the game charakter gets up and down in a very fast, andless loop. any idea on that one?

anyhow - seems to be a really good programm - the possibilities in office usage seem endless!

Paegus
17th June 2007, 16:05
hmm i use it as a one off key... try replacing it with

SC056 down::send {SC02B down}
SC056 up::send {SC02B up}

there's a pretty detailed help system though so you can make your own.