PDA

View Full Version : Its really hard to spot the hidden guy in DX 8

robin_tha_hood
11th June 2007, 07:29
I was hoping if you guys can fix the Direct x 7 and 8 modes,
so that its just as easy to see the clues of the hidden guy in Direct x 9

and please fix it so that you can still see the clues if you have the shaders turned on low setting.

also, when I put "mat_bumpmap 0" in console, some of the models look really super shiny, but when I turn it back to "mat Bumpmap 1" they look normal. Please fix this too.

I have a crap video card (FX 5500).
Directx 9 runs poor on it.
but I can run it smooth (average 40 FPS) in direct x 8 and shader turned low.

So my point is too make it so that I can play your mod, with out having to turn my settings up high (Killing my framerate in the process), just to have the same advantage at spotting the hidden as others that have they're settings turned up to the max.

EDIT: Im not trying to offend anyone. I did type please, and I do like your mod :).

and a personly thing, my PC only has a OLD PCI slot.
they dont sell good native support directx 9 cards in PCI form.
so that would mean I would have to buy a whole new PC, and I just bought the one im using now, around 9 months ago.

Prometheus
11th June 2007, 07:38
You know that kinda sounded like an order there:o You shouldnt be saying, "Make your mod like this so I can play" You just come off as a bit of a spoilt child... If you did a quick search you will have discovered that anything below DX8 will not be supported (correct me if im wrong guys) meaning that people with dx7 will not be able to see the hidden at all!!

My suggestion is to upgrade. A decent dx9 graphics card can easily be bought for 40 now, thats hardly a lot if you can save up.

Good luck

Ging
11th June 2007, 10:50
and a personly thing, my PC only has a OLD PCI slot.
they dont sell good native support directx 9 cards in PCI form.
so that would mean I would have to buy a whole new PC, and I just bought the one im using now, around 9 months ago.

If you paid any sort of money for a PC that doesn't have an AGP slot 9 months ago, than robin the hood got robbed... AGP slots have been standard for years now, so if you really managed to buy a PC without one, less than a year ago, then I'm stunned.

For the shiny people when you disable bump mapping, you also need to disable specular (mat_specular 0).

Felf
11th June 2007, 17:35
Turn *all* your settings right down except shader.

robin_tha_hood
13th June 2007, 01:51
If you paid any sort of money for a PC that doesn't have an AGP slot 9 months ago, than robin the hood got robbed... AGP slots have been standard for years now, so if you really managed to buy a PC without one, less than a year ago, then I'm stunned.

I paid $294 (taxes already added in) Canadian for my PC, straight from Dell. (I even checked at local stores and seemed like the best deal)

This is my first PC, and I didn't know very much about it when I bought it.
I didn't plan on playing video games on my PC either.

Ritalin
15th June 2007, 06:14
I was hoping if you guys can fix the Direct x 7 and 8 modes,
so that its just as easy to see the clues of the hidden guy in Direct x 9

Hay I know you. I have been playing with you on deadclan quite a bit lately. You seem to have no problem seeing the hidden in my opinion. But for beta5 you will be SOL, so I will go along with the same idea posted before to get a new rig.

If you need some help replacing the parts you have or want an opinion on a whole new rig in the middle of the road or top end send me a PM and Ill give you a hand.

I cant play any source based game under 60fps for any length of time with out getting super dizzy. I cant remember what that disorder is called but it sucks to be a FPS fan and have it. :rolleyes:

starstriker1
15th June 2007, 19:00
I paid $294 (taxes already added in) Canadian for my PC, straight from Dell. (I even checked at local stores and seemed like the best deal)

This is my first PC, and I didn't know very much about it when I bought it.
I didn't plan on playing video games on my PC either.

You only payed $300 Canadian for your PC? I'm honestly surprised you can run any games at ALL... a PC thats decent for gaming (or, at least, one that won't be obsolete in a year) costs well over a thousand. RAM and video cards aren't that cheap...

deltro
23rd June 2007, 22:13
I'm relatively certain that this could be considered, a cheat, but it is relevant, and will improve your performance, but first: a history lesson.

Back in the day, when hl2 was first being released, ATi and VALVe were having a rather 69ish relationship. ATI brings in Steam loyalists to buy games, VALVe gives users incentives to buy ATI cards.

However, there were some underhanded goings on as well. In order to temporarily phase out Geforce users, and (hopefully) force them to buy a shiny-new ATi card, VALVe set their hl2 engine to force full floating point accuracy graphics. This wasn't a huge deal for ATi, because they (rather conveniently) had a FPU on their graphics cards.

However, nVidia did not.

Obviously, HL2 being the most popular game engine at the time, and ATi being the only one able to perform with it sufficiently, ATi fraudulently won the video card war at the time. However, due to their merger with AMD, and AMD's laziness, and inability to think ahead and improve upon technology when they are already winning, both companies are very, very screwed, most especially at the high-end.

short version
HL2 requires and FPU to perform adequately for no reason.

Geforce FX does not have an FPU.

You need to disable Floating-Point accuracy using 3DAnalyzer (http://nig.gr/13t3)

Good luck!

Demented
24th June 2007, 01:05
The Geforce 5000s have an FPU. It's a weakly-built FPU that requires special below-spec rendering modes to function adequately in DX9.
To their credit, Nvidia fixed their ways once they realized that nobody was going to cop to their need for specialized drivers. But that had to wait until the 6000 series.

Aside from that little hiccup, Nvidia's been ahead of Ati since the Geforce 2. Oh, how I loved my widdle MX...
/nostalgia

Zabiela
24th June 2007, 02:28
Since we're on the subject... can anyone recommend me a dx9 agp card that's better than a 9600?
I tried shopping around but honestly its fucking confusing.
Im tired of 20 fps and I want to be able to handle hdr for b5.

Demented
24th June 2007, 03:08
I heard that one of the Radeon 2000s is AGP... No idea how well it performs, and it's almost certainly not released yet.

But forget that.

I took a quick look on Newegg (not that I like it) and spotted AGP Geforce 6800XT (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814136008)s on the front page.

Anyone got the stats on that thing versus a 7600GT?

deltro
24th June 2007, 04:03
My old x800 GTO owns quite a bit of face in HL2 still.

Get the sapphire one where you can unlock 4 pixel-pipelines with little more than a bios upgrade, and you'll be golden.

Daedalus
24th June 2007, 08:22
Since we're on the subject... can anyone recommend me a dx9 agp card that's better than a 9600?
I tried shopping around but honestly its fucking confusing.
Im tired of 20 fps and I want to be able to handle hdr for b5.

I had a geforce 6600 gt on agp that held it's ground quite fine in hidden with max settings. HDR lags it a bit but that's what you're going to get with agp cards...

Ging
24th June 2007, 14:52
I recently picked up an AGP X1950 - does the job nicely as a placeholder before I do a full upgrade...