PDA

View Full Version : Flashlight Enhancement.

Bozzar
7th June 2007, 18:51
This is my first post and I have checked and haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else so here goes.

When playing as IRIS I usually use the F2000 with the LAM, but on my first match in the sewers I decided to use the flashlight so I could have some help with aiming and also be able to see what I'm shooting.

However I found the flashlight a bit too dull and not much help at all, I'm not sure if this is just me but my suggestion is to simply increase the brightness of the flashlight to help us find the hidden in the dark :).

Chas0r
7th June 2007, 19:28
The purpose of the flashlight is *not* to make the hidden easier to spot. After all, if all other light goes right through him, why should the flashlight be any different ?

I figured that the most common use of the FL is to indicate other players that you don't need to rely on a LAM ;)

Bozzar
7th June 2007, 19:36
I guess I should of made it clear that I do not want the light to somehow illuminate the hidden :p.

I would just like to be able to see where I am going using the flashlight, at the moment it seems everyone just uses the LAM and the occasional motion trip sensors, of course I can't really tell if people use the addrenaline shots.

Daedalus
7th June 2007, 20:45
I guess I should of made it clear that I do not want the light to somehow illuminate the hidden :p.

I would just like to be able to see where I am going using the flashlight, at the moment it seems everyone just uses the LAM and the occasional motion trip sensors, of course I can't really tell if people use the addrenaline shots.

Heh, you can't really see the others using the flashlight. It just happens that the area where you shine the flashlight is only illuminated on your computer.

There aren't any external visual effects on a player that uses adrenaline, other than the increased speed. If you play for a while you'll learn to spot this easily.

-SM-SUCKER
7th June 2007, 21:25
There aren't any external visual effects on a player that uses adrenaline, other than the increased speed. If you play for a while you'll learn to spot this easily.
You will probably try to call him a speed hacker first ;)

starstriker1
8th June 2007, 02:16
I find it plenty of help. It doesn't illuminate the hidden, but it DOES illuminate what's behind him, and it can make a huge difference in how fast you spot the sucker.

Zabiela
8th June 2007, 06:07
I only wish the light travelled a little further.

Paegus
8th June 2007, 07:21
that coudl be fixed i'm sure. right now it uses the HL2 default distance which is fine for single player but can barely even reach the walls in stalker's crate room.

starstriker1
8th June 2007, 07:28
It works fine for me?

Felf
8th June 2007, 20:35
Hang on... Other players don't see where you're pointing the flashlight? That's *fantastic* - I normally cruise around with my LAM turned off because I know as hidden I tend to notice a bunch of green dots on a wall and don't go round that corner... But if they can't *see* the flashlight... Oh deary me :D (Although I feel it's somewhat dishonest... Almost cheating.)

starstriker1
8th June 2007, 22:19
Naw, it was removed intentionally. Remember all the bugs with the attachments in B2?

*shudder*

Demented
9th June 2007, 05:54
It wasn't that buggy. It just looked terrible.

starstriker1
9th June 2007, 06:50
Because of a set of bugs that had an unfortunate combination of latency issues and seeing the beam attachment in first person.

Daedalus
9th June 2007, 09:09
Yeah, lagged behind everybody and blocked your view. :p

starstriker1
9th June 2007, 18:46
I still have nightmares.

Subface Normal
10th June 2007, 01:03
we all do... *lowers head* :(

Demented
10th June 2007, 08:56
By that you mean fond memories, right?

starstriker1
10th June 2007, 18:26
No one even MENTIONED memories, and no.

Felf
11th June 2007, 17:37
Ah yes, that... I only just remember b2... I'd rather enjoy a doom-style flashlight; separate equipment item. That would be awesome. But you'd never use it because someone would just cut you into little pieces and hang you up by the foot.

spectre
12th June 2007, 19:00
Ah yes, that... I only just remember b2... I'd rather enjoy a doom-style flashlight; separate equipment item. That would be awesome. But you'd never use it because someone would just cut you into little pieces and hang you up by the foot.

Unless like doom you could beat him to death with the flashlight :D

Fatchaos
15th June 2007, 16:11
Heh. Also note that the flashlight was in fact more powerfull than the handgun. :eek:

But I think flashlight would prove more useful if the levels had more dark places in it. More poorly illuminated. Even the sewers are somewhat bright. Make the places dark and scary :D

Not only does it make up for the flashlight who people usually dont use at all, but it would also benefit Hidden to make it easier to kill guys who only use LAM.

Boxy
15th June 2007, 16:33
Heh. Also note that the flashlight was in fact more powerfull than the handgun. :eek:

But I think flashlight would prove more useful if the levels had more dark places in it. More poorly illuminated. Even the sewers are somewhat bright. Make the places dark and scary :D

Not only does it make up for the flashlight who people usually dont use at all, but it would also benefit Hidden to make it easier to kill guys who only use LAM.

Wow, someone needs to check the Media section (http://www.hidden-source.com/media.htm#levels). It was updated a while ago with the B5 variants of the levels. They have all had a good going over and some are that little bit darker and moody. Hell, Decay even sort of calls for a flashlight to be fair...

Daedalus
15th June 2007, 21:26
Yeah, at first I thought that it would be a real disadvantage to the IRIS, but now the hidden needs to stick to the shadows to avoid the improved tracking skills that the average marine has nowadays. ;)