PDA

View Full Version : Make Surveillance into an actual class

Sgt. Carlton Banks
7th June 2007, 02:19
Hello, everybody.

I recently downloaded The Hidden: Source, along with Zombie Master. So far, I've been enjoying The Hidden quiet a bit more. I just wanted to drop by to tell the development team to keep up the good work, and suggest making Surveillance into an actual class instead of just a spectator.

The Surveillance class would have the following available for when selecting their equipment:
Both handguns
Silencers for the handguns (A class exclusive)
Sonic trip mines (Which would also become exclusive for the class)
Adrenaline shots

Surveillance classes would also be able to view all security cameras on the map through a window in the upper-left corner, which they would be able to cycle through.

This would encourage players to use the different classes a bit more. So far, I've seen most people using assault classes, since they're capable of both tracking down and eliminating the Hidden. This way, the different classes would rely on each other a bit more, making teamwork more important. The Surveillance would be the eyes, and the Assault would be the muscle.

Sorry if I violated any rules. I checked the stickies, and I don't think I went against anything.

Isolation
7th June 2007, 03:39
*scratches head*

Um... Surveillance is not a class, and not intended to be a class whatsoever. It's basically spectator mode. I mean, you don't have a "ghost team" in CS, after all...

Sgt. Carlton Banks
7th June 2007, 03:56
*scratches head*

Um... Surveillance is not a class, and not intended to be a class whatsoever. It's basically spectator mode. I mean, you don't have a "ghost team" in CS, after all...

I know that. I'm just saying it to actually make them a class. I meant make Surveillance into one of a class like Surveillance that a person can chose to play as, not as just a spectator.

Isolation
7th June 2007, 04:06
Well, if Surveillance was to be an actual class... why would they be in-field ops WITH Assault and Support? Traditionally, surveillance is some random guys in the back of a van, talking to the guys on scene...

...and before that goes any farther, that has been brought up and shot down. Of course, I just KNOW someone will come in and talk about how things might be changing in B5...

Sgt. Carlton Banks
7th June 2007, 04:09
Well, if not surveillance, than some kind of stealth class. I just making a suggestion.

If this has already been brought it, it doesn't matter. Just close the topic.

Paegus
7th June 2007, 08:32
there already is a stealth class... it's called the Hidden team. and what good would stealth do against a guy who can see your stinky arse through solid concrete? not to mention the fact that you'll probably be using the LAM anyway :)

as for accessing the camera through a window on your screen, how would that help? it would be to small to see any details oter than other iris. and while you're busy paying attention to the top right or whatever, you suddernly esplode!

Cheesey
7th June 2007, 10:45
there already is a stealth class... it's called the Hidden team.

1:0

Just can agree with Paegus. If the cam-pic is just small in one corner, 617 could be "behind" it and you wouldn't see him, as you could see him on the cameras. Cause they are just too tiny.

In fact, I don't think it would change anything. I mean, there is a very small amount of people who chose "Support" and even less people who realize it so it would have sense for get an extra clip.

Boxy
7th June 2007, 17:12
Team class selection is being binned along with the current menu selection setup so this thread is kind of a mute point now. Thanks for the suggestions though.

<Beatlemania>
20th June 2007, 07:22
no moer support?!

Demented
20th June 2007, 08:01
Liek yaey!

The pop quiz:
Why was it decided to finally bin the class selection?

Paegus
20th June 2007, 08:33
they're moving it to a supply package which you get with (or instead of?) the sonic alarms.

Isolation
20th June 2007, 08:37
I have not seen a sonic alarm in a while, but given their near useless-ness in a normal game (8 lone wolves vs. Uber-617), will they even be missed? A bit. Not being able to set them in funny places (Manor comes to mind...) will be disappointing, but I'll get over it...

Ging
20th June 2007, 11:50
Why was it decided to finally bin the class selection?

It was decided ages ago to bin it, I can't remember they why of it though.

Daedalus
20th June 2007, 11:56
Because there's no reason to choose a support weapon when you're assault?

In b4 the menu bugs out sometimes for me and I find myself with a p90 and no alarms or ammo giving ability. :)

Paegus
20th June 2007, 13:21
nothing wrong with that though. but i sometimes find myself with an f2000 with sonics and the ability to give ammo.

ging are the sonics actjually departing or what?

Mr. Bottomhat
20th June 2007, 13:53
I'll miss picking up a sonic alarm as hidden and throwing it at someone who'll be very surprised to not have their gun up when I run up to their face.

Boat Builder
20th June 2007, 16:26
Because there's no reason to choose a support weapon when you're assault?

That has always bugged me. But i sometimes do that anyway, cuz sonics get me killed occasionally. If i have them i just have to use them!

In b4 the menu bugs out sometimes for me and I find myself with a p90 and no alarms or ammo giving ability. :)

I often find myself with the fn2000, trip alarms, and the ability to give ammo. Just for one round, but i feel so awesome for that round.
(EDIT: ok, Paegus beats me.)

@OP: I actually thought that surveillance was an actual class when i first saw it. But i just thought it would be spectators that could speak to the IRIS members. Then, as hidden, you'd actually have to avoid the camera's.
I guess you could potentially get the same effect with all-talk (or ventrilo i suppose), but unless it's officially implemented who would give away the hidden's position?

Cheersies.

Paegus
20th June 2007, 18:51
could work if the voice chat was configurable (which is isn't iirc) to let anyone on the iris team chat. they'd also need to tack the camera name onto the player name so live players can see where the person on the camera is talking from. though since the hidden moves pretty damn fast i don't think it'll be much of an advantage other than the occasional newbie or camper.

it's not a bad idea though i suppose... just not likely possible.

Ging
20th June 2007, 19:48
ging are the sonics actjually departing or what?

Nope - they'll be staying.

Isolation
20th June 2007, 20:11

But with a hack/change to kill climbing, I'd hope.

Paegus
20th June 2007, 21:44
^ QFT

phew... was getting worried there.

Daedalus
20th June 2007, 22:08
But with a hack/change to kill climbing, I'd hope.

Afaik it's planned that the alarms break when someone sits on them.

Demented
20th June 2007, 22:27
It'd be nice if they just dislodged so you could pick them up and place them again.

Then, inevitably, Star would complain that he can't turn off autoswitch and it's getting him killed.

Isolation
21st June 2007, 01:21

Sounds good to me. Can't wait to see a climber on the side of Highrise, only to have he damn thing break *evil grin*

Daedalus
21st June 2007, 06:17
Sounds good to me. Can't wait to see a climber on the side of Highrise, only to have he damn thing break *evil grin*

Heh, they'll soon have that habit out of their system. :D

Paegus
21st June 2007, 06:46
i'd prefer to have them break when stood on rather then be retrievable because then you have to have pretty unrealistic "is it MY sonic?" logic so twats don't dont around dislodging all of them and making a right mess of things... at least stood on by the iris. all their equipment makes them just heavy enough to do it. the hidden is a skiny bastard so he can sit on them with impunity... ?

VoiceOfDecember
21st June 2007, 08:52

Yea thats deffinatly a good thing. Even though I didn't mine the IRIS climbing up things. Just made them a target to be knocked off with barrels and such :D

Ion
21st June 2007, 19:37
you suddernly esplode!

I believe it's pronounced, "Aspode."

Demented
21st June 2007, 21:07
You forgot an L.

True, twats could be up in ur stalkyrd, stealin' ur alarmz!
On the other hand, they always just shoot your alarms, as twats do. Why go to the trouble of taking it and moving it somewhere, if you're a twat? (Maybe if you're a hyper-intelligent and particularly sadistic twat... The Hannibal Lector of twats...)

Whereas yourself, you could dislodge a poorly-placed alarm and give it a home. Or dislodge one of your own alarms and move it somewhere more useful later on in the map. Especially in the case of alarms that accidentally end up triggering against a fence or somesuch.

Paegus
21st June 2007, 21:43
well i can easily see people stealing alarms and setting them up elsewhere only to have someone else steal them again.... rinse and repeat.

remember that 99.6245&#37; of online players are twats/twits/nits/neds/noobs/morons/12 year olds on coke/paralysed from the neck up.