PDA

View Full Version : STARCRAFT II - Hell, It's About Time!

Knigh7s
19th May 2007, 17:09
Well it's finally official! (http://blizzard.com) Starcraft II is now in development.

Websites:

Blizzard.com (http://blizzard.com)
Starcraft2.com (http://www.starcraft2.com/)

You have to watch the video and take a look at the screenshot section.

I'm a huge fan of Starcraft since the day it hit the shelves. So this is Great news for the Fans...

Check it out. Let us know what you all think! :)

Chas0r
19th May 2007, 18:16
Here? (http://forum.hidden-source.com/showthread.php?t=8348)

I would have prefered "World of Starcraft" :D

Isolation
19th May 2007, 18:24
Words cannot express how much I finally love seeing the words "StarCraft II" and "Official" together.

This is a good day.

Thank god it's not a "World of" game... aside from the fact that it sounds like it would be hard to pull off, I just could not stand seeing my favorite RTS mmo'd like a whore. Now, World of Diablo... there's potential there...

starstriker1
19th May 2007, 19:10
World of Diablo? That'd be the same damn thing as WoW with a different storyline...

Anyways, I am INTENSELY curious as to how much the gameplay can possibly remain the same when:

1) The units counts are obviously huge. You can select as many units at once as you want, which seems like a blessing considering that INCREDIBLY MASSIVE ZERGLING SWARM
2) Every race seems to have one or more ground units that can traverse cliffs at will... Terrans have at least one, the 'toss have at least two, and the zerg presumably also have such units. Probably either units that can crawl over walls or burrow through them...
3) The protoss can build units anywhere they have a pylon (or their new dropship...)
4) The protoss can build a single "mothership" with absurd powers

And thats just for starters, I mean... yikes. My mind is ablaze with potential strategies...!

Daedalus
19th May 2007, 19:22
OLDNEWS IS OLD

@Star: They've only showcased the protoss units so far. I'm sure we'll be seeing tons of new stuff for the other races as well. As for balance, starcraft was one of the most balanced games I've ever seen, so I'm sure they can manage it.

starstriker1
19th May 2007, 19:40
Daed, I'm aware of both those facts, as well as the fact that not everything the Protoss are going to have is shown. I'm just wondering how DIFFERENT the game will be because of these rather large scale changes...

Demented
19th May 2007, 21:06
Massive zergling swarm? It's only about 200-250. =P
What you should really be drooling for is the editor...

Wipe that grin off your face. People die because of jokes like that.

-SM-SUCKER
20th May 2007, 01:38
Wipe that grin off your face. People die because of jokes like that.
Like: Jean Luc Skywalker kills a Borg with his Lightphas0r ?

Demented
20th May 2007, 02:25
Nah.

Nanny Adventures III
Featuring Patrick Stewart
"Make it Sew"

Mr. Bottomhat
20th May 2007, 15:41
Looks much too shiny, I miss the old gritty look. I bet it's gonna be a good game but I wonder if it's gonna be super-awesome like the original. I don't like the way the new protoss units look, it's way too much the trendy war of the worlds tripod walkers you see everywhere nowadays.

Zerglings packing small wings like a swarm of locust is genious though, they were always my favourite unit hope you can be as abusive with them now. I see the real danger being they slow the game down to Warcraft3 pace.

Daedalus
20th May 2007, 15:46
I see the real danger being they slow the game down to Warcraft3 pace.

Yeah, that's my main gripe. I always liked how fast SC is. If they slow it down...It simply isn't starcraft anymore.

Knigh7s
20th May 2007, 16:07
I see the real danger being they slow the game down to Warcraft3 pace.

I cringe at the thought of them doing that. But considering the huge fanbase of starcraft... lets hope they listen for once...

Gusdor
20th May 2007, 19:21
Awesome news!

On the looks - Im glad they have kept inlnie with warcraft with the semi-catoony shiney stuff. Makes it look like one big franchise :)

starstriker1
20th May 2007, 20:16
Yeah, that's my main gripe. I always liked how fast SC is. If they slow it down...It simply isn't starcraft anymore.

They're looking for something like 20 minute matches. I think the pace is going up, not down...

Mr. Bottomhat
21st May 2007, 14:03
They're looking for something like 20 minute matches. I think the pace is going up, not down...
Consider that a game of Starcraft could last somewhere between 2 minutes and 2 hours but the typical game was over in 15 minutes this is good and means they're going for a similar pace. If they have some kind of anti-rush balancing to make all games last 20 minutes I think they've made a bad choice.

Hudson
21st May 2007, 14:47
Here? (http://forum.hidden-source.com/showthread.php?t=8348)

And than pay a monthly fee, no thanks...:p

QReaper
21st May 2007, 18:56
Awesome news!

On the looks - Im glad they have kept inlnie with warcraft with the semi-catoony shiney stuff. Makes it look like one big franchise :)
Yeah, top that with a special "guest appearance" by Nova somewhere in Outland.;)

Isolation
21st May 2007, 19:15
...I miss StarCraft: Ghost. I spent many years waiting for that only for it to become "WarCraft Adventures 2: Heh, screw you nerd!"

Knigh7s
21st May 2007, 21:35
...I miss StarCraft: Ghost. I spent many years waiting for that only for it to become "WarCraft Adventures 2: Heh, screw you nerd!"

I too was pretty disapointed when they announced the cancellation of SC:G. But it is what it is.... i guess.

Now lets see how Blizzard competes with Valve "time" on release dates?!!?

Demented
21st May 2007, 22:05
I couldn't have been more delighted when they halted Starcraft: Ghost.
It was too... consolish. By that, I mean the scope of gameplay was too limited, and it borrowed from too many similar influences without attempting to improve on them. (Not that the opposite is a hallmark of PC games. *cough* I'm looking at you, Prey! Whoop-dee-portal-doo.)

Ghost could easily be seen as Starcraft: Tomb Raider, only with... a higher screen resolution. And multiplayer. Probably with more shooting and less puzzle-solving (not a plus, when doing a Tomb Raider clone).

I'll grant that the multiplayer looked promising, but not enough to redeem the entire game.

Isolation
21st May 2007, 22:25
Most of that is true (though, it was more of a Splinter Cell meets Prince of Persia clone), but the idea of slogging through the SC universe from the point of view of a soldier was what made it so tasty looking.

<Beatlemania>
25th May 2007, 01:35
How am i so late to this topic!
I can't wait for it... I read something about near unlimited troop numbers. That is gonna be SO cool.

Demented
25th May 2007, 01:59
Near unlimited troop numbers?
Maybe in Big Game Hunter map.

<Beatlemania>
25th May 2007, 02:33
oops i read it wrong

"Starcraft II will have no "selection limit"--that is, you'll be able to click and drag your mouse to select an unlimited number of your own armies to control."

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/starcraft2/news.html?sid=6171179&om_act=convert&om_clk=newlyadded&tag=newlyadded;title;1

Demented
25th May 2007, 04:17
It's about time Blizzard picked up a feature like that.
Other RTS franchises have only had it since 1989!

(That year may be semi-random.)

Though I wonder how they'll divide up the unit icons.

Isolation
25th May 2007, 04:27
Though I wonder how they'll divide up the unit icons.

Hopefully a single icon with a number in the case of multiple unit types.

starstriker1
25th May 2007, 04:29
It looks like the window and icons are, at least initially, locked to a certain size. Perhaps they shrink or stack to fit more than the screen estate would suggest?

Demented
25th May 2007, 04:46
Well, at least for the first 24 (!) units nothing will be needed. After that, it'd be easiest just to do as Iso suggests... Or it would stay the same, but you can scroll through your units (which would be nice to offer more individual control, or if you ever command more than 24 types of units).