PDA

View Full Version : The black box

starstriker1
19th May 2007, 03:50
Yo, Valve?

This is bullshit. (http://pc.ign.com/articles/790/790013p1.html)

That is all.

Demented
19th May 2007, 04:25
Great. That means I get one copy of HL2 to use normally, and one copy to test all the l33t h4x on.

Th1$ thr34d 1$ m4d3 0f w1n!1!1

Now, that second copy of HL2:EP1 could be a little harder to put to use...

QReaper
19th May 2007, 04:31
I never bought HL2:Ep1 anyway.

blackhawk
19th May 2007, 04:52
-fuckin bullshit

Red
19th May 2007, 08:02
WUT!? :mad:

Can you download it seperately at least? Do you honestly have to get it all or nothing? :mad:

Daedalus
19th May 2007, 08:30
I never bought HL2:Ep1 anyway.

I "brought" it, it is pretty cool.

But srsly, valve does something awesome and the next thing you know they're screwing up in a really weird way. First the box art sucks and now we can't get the new stuff separately? It's like saying that the only way you can get this expansion for your game is to buy the game that you already have yet again...

Boxy
19th May 2007, 09:49
Why on God's green earth would they think that batching them all together is a good idea!? You know all those thousands of players who who stood by us and bought HL2 and Ep1, lets fuck them over! I won't be buying this, but I got HL2 under the 9800XT deal, and I've never bought another one of their games. They just dont last long enough to be worth the money. Episode One was supposed to be about 6-8 hours long and turned out taking a mere 2-3. They say Episode Two will be 6 hours long, which means its more likely to be done and dusted in an hour or so.

I was probably never going to purchase this anyways, but now I'm definately out. A round of applause for Valve, I salute their marketing dept and weep for their future if this is how they want to sell all their games.

EDIT: It seems (and I should have guessed) that you can get all the games seperate if you are a 'digital man' and purchase through Steam as seperate items.

Paegus
19th May 2007, 12:25
yeah and if you buy the boxed version don't you need to have the disc in the drive to play? or did they fix that?

though i wouldn't mind having a hl2 on my other steam account. certain things just can't be tested without a live player.

lcpuche
19th May 2007, 13:13
i have a feeling i will find it at office depot when it comes out for 20$ :D

Ging
19th May 2007, 14:19
yeah and if you buy the boxed version don't you need to have the disc in the drive to play? or did they fix that?

They fixed that, eventually.

I suspect this it to lower consumer confusion - they're hitting 3 seperate platforms, two of which were getting the orange box but not the black. It's also down to them wanting people to use Steam to get games, bringing them more money.

Isolation
19th May 2007, 19:31
Boxy saying stuff

Ditto on all accounts, except I got HL2 with the 9600XT, and I bought SiN: Episode 1 rather than HL2: Episode 1. The craptacularness of that turned me off from the HL2 ones damn fast.

starstriker1
19th May 2007, 20:14
Ultimately, its 10 dollars, AND I may be able to find a person to give the extra games to, but... seriously, Valve? What... the... hell?

Felf
19th May 2007, 21:08
I don't fancy my chances giving away the other game - why would anyone want to buy them (for a price worth speaking of) from me when they could buy the full pack and not have to worry when *they* want the expansions?

Well played valve. All those of us who previously liked you, or at least had a *little* respect no longer do. Why the hell would I want to pay for two games I've already got?? And no, I'm not going to download them seperately - I like to have the *disc* with my games, so that when you piss off the community enough to put you out of business, I can still get to my games.

Demented
19th May 2007, 21:35
EDIT: It seems (and I should have guessed) that you can get all the games seperate if you are a 'digital man' and purchase through Steam as seperate items.

For a premium, naturally. It's probably $9.99 for Portal, $19.99 for TF2, and $29.99 for Ep2. And that's being generous.

Felf
19th May 2007, 21:44
I can tell you what'll happen. Since portal and Ep2 are singleplayer anyway (and won't have that much replayability) one player will buy the pack, then lend his steam account to his friends so they can play episode 2 and portal (that's what I did with episode 1 actually). The only game we'll go without it Team Fortress 2 - the best part of the pack. I really do hate those people.

Ging
19th May 2007, 23:45
I'd be tempted by Portal if it were only $9.99 (post tax) - otherwise, forget it, I'll just play it on my uni's cafe license...

Paegus
19th May 2007, 23:55
if CS and HL2 aren't your thing there's still the mods you can play with the sdk base right? or do the single player episodes and whatnot not include that either?

Zabiela
20th May 2007, 00:55
What a bunch of assholes. ....mumble..mumble..marketing...mumble...

It's probably $9.99 for Portal

I'm calling 20 or 25$, its just got too much hype around it and expectancy, I dont think they would give it away for so cheap, even though reports on its gameplay length would put it at that price.

Paegus
20th May 2007, 00:58
well the single player bit yeah but exite (http://www.exitemod.com/) has been public for ages. so it's all old news already i thought.

Demented
20th May 2007, 01:09
if CS and HL2 aren't your thing there's still the mods you can play with the sdk base right? or do the single player episodes and whatnot not include that either?

Who said you'd get CS or the SDK? :p

Valve is evil, you know.

Paegus
20th May 2007, 11:59
hence my question as to whether or not you get it... right?
and valve's not overtly evil as far as i'm aware. they're just in it for money as well as whatever personal satisfaction they get from making a decent game.

Felf
20th May 2007, 17:48
Just buy one - so long as you're got the SDK you can play hidden, and that's all that really matters ;)

Zabiela
21st May 2007, 21:50
All is not lost... but they're still being bitches.

starstriker1
22nd May 2007, 02:16
I typically only buy retail, so this pisses me off... but in the end, I'm probably going to end up buying it regardless and just being snarky about it for the forseeable future. >_<