PDA

View Full Version : Left 4 Dead -- anyone gonna buy it?

ReMeDy
16th May 2007, 03:43
Heya all. I'm interested to know because Left 4 Dead, imho, seems to share some similarities to H:S, most notably with the infected named the "Hunter" who can pounce across walls, jump really high, cloak, and claw/knife/melee victims. From what I heard from previews, just like the Hidden, you can get killed pretty fast as the Hunter, so there's that huge element of challenge too.

For those who don't know what Left 4 Dead is, it's basically a total conversion zombie killing spree using the Source Engine made by Turtlerock Studios. It's not a mod per say, but an entirely unique gameplay experience. Unfortunately, it will probably be pay to play, but it will be worth it. You can find more info about Left 4 Dead at http://www.left4dead411.com

I actually have a chilling feeling the Hidden: Source community might suffer once this comes out, since playing as Left 4 Dead's version of the Hidden, only in a sprawling landscape, seems much more awesome imho. Anyways, Left 4 Dead looks like it will be really sweet regardless of any H:S comparisons. I'll definetely be picking it up so hit me up if anyone wants to play when it's released (ie. not for another 1-3 months).

starstriker1
16th May 2007, 04:45
1) Its absolutely nothing like Hidden, even considering the hunter infected
2) FUCK YES I'M BUYING IT!

Demented
16th May 2007, 07:27
Before watching the Left4Dead video:
That first post sounds a bit... advertisish, as if it's ripped straight out of an article. Somebody's gonna get a hard slapping, oh yes.

After watching the Left4Dead video:
Damn, man! My wet dreams are about developing games like this! All is forgiven! Just. Give. Me. More!

Doomsiren
16th May 2007, 07:53
must have this game. but i hope i can buy it in a shop, i don't want to buy with steam

Daedalus
16th May 2007, 10:12
Heck yeah I'm gonna get it. It just sounds awesome. Still waiting for those l4d411.com guys to finish their damn finals so we can get a infected side preview!

QReaper
16th May 2007, 11:30
Will I buy it? What kind of stupid question is that? Of course I'm buying Left 4 Dead. It embodies all I love about videogames!

Isolation
16th May 2007, 19:22
Uzis? Fast movers? Heresy. Give me a couple shotguns and a horde of shamblers.

I take it this forum is full of people who loved the 28 series, the Dawn remake or any zombie movie that came out recently with the exception of Shaun of the Dead (which was hella awesome).

Pass until it costs free, or until I'm able to play a demo... but I'll probably hate it. I'm old school zombies, not those damn fast movers... they come off as Aliens in human clothing.

legoman
16th May 2007, 19:42
:: looks at the fat thing with the huge belly button ::

What the HELL is THAT shit?

Is it just me, or is does this game actually somehow look better than its original source? And man, some of the zombie designs give me some baaaaad goosebumps. I just closed the image and am still feeling the sensation as I type.

Why don't we make a deal? If we all play together, as we once did in Hidden, we should all get the game and organize a premade group. How's that?

Daedalus
16th May 2007, 20:20
Why don't we make a deal? If we all play together, as we once did in Hidden, we should all get the game and organize a premade group. How's that?

Only if I get to be the huge fat thing that gives you goosebumps.

Or the hunter. :D

starstriker1
16th May 2007, 22:00
The boomer looks like it will be an incredible pain in the ass.

Iso, it's not a zombie game, its more of a "walking down the street and AGHWHATGOINGONOMGI'MBEINGMOBBED" kind of game.

It looks like one HELL of a coop experience.

scratch
16th May 2007, 22:33
Unfortunately, it will probably be pay to play, but it will be worth it.

What exactly is that supposed to mean? Like the monthly payment for an MMOG?

Demented
16th May 2007, 22:51
That would be, historically, the second worst business decision in modern commerce.

QReaper
17th May 2007, 00:14
It'll most likely be anywhere between $30-$50 to buy. I really, really doubt that it'll be a monthly fee.

<Beatlemania>
17th May 2007, 00:16
Wait, it has a price? i thought it was a MOD!!!

QReaper
17th May 2007, 01:06
Wait, it has a price? i thought it was a MOD!!!
What? It's a VALVe owned game that's being developed by Turtlerock, why in Hell's fires would it ever be free?

Demented
17th May 2007, 01:35
It's funny, yet so appropriate. The line between mods and official games has blurred to the point that now the only way to tell them apart is by the price.

starstriker1
17th May 2007, 01:41
Not really, since the difference between a game made by a highly funded 40 man team and one made by an unpaid team of 8 is pretty obvious most of the time.

Ging
17th May 2007, 02:58
I've spent way too long discussing the AI behind L4D with star... I wants it, it sounds, so... promising!

I'll happily pay 10 / 15 for it (so $20 - $30) - but probably not much more...

QReaper
17th May 2007, 03:07
I've spent way too long discussing the AI behind L4D with star... I wants it, it sounds, so... promising!

I'll happily pay 10 / 15 for it (so $20 - $30) - but probably not much more...
Do I smell a sue for this in a future project?

Ging
17th May 2007, 03:59
Nah, not any directly obvious future project, but AI is a particular favourite area of development for me (and Star) so when I see something as intriguing as the AI director, I have to start dissecting it

Demented
17th May 2007, 04:23
I'd imagine the AI director directs the spawning more than it does the individual AI of the creatures. Though it could probably set goals and how many of the infected get to be a Tank.

It mentions difficulty levels, and the video described the director as keeping track of the stress levels of each player. Makes me wonder (hope?) if the difficulty levels are per-player.

starstriker1
17th May 2007, 07:03
Ging about summed up my thoughts on the subject of AI. I'd buy the game on the basis of the director ALONE, let alone the game behind it...

Ging
17th May 2007, 09:45
I'd imagine the AI director directs the spawning more than it does the individual AI of the creatures. Though it could probably set goals and how many of the infected get to be a Tank.

Yeah the director does generally just control spawning - each of the NPC infected will use it's own AI, which would be fairly simplistic in general.

Daedalus
17th May 2007, 15:51
each of the NPC infected will use it's own AI, which would be fairly simplistic in general.

See enemy, run towards enemy, flail arms at enemy. :D

The director really ups the replayability of the mod. If they say that it monitors each player's "stress levels" then it must be really advanced.

Has anyone read about that witch superboss that is exclusively controlled by the AI? It attacks you and kills you in one hit if you shine a flashlight on it or just annoy it. Wonder how that will work out if you get ambushed by a pack of regular zombies.

QReaper
17th May 2007, 16:22
Yeah the director does generally just control spawning - each of the NPC infected will use it's own AI, which would be fairly simplistic in general.

See enemy, run towards enemy, flail arms at enemy. :D
Not much to expect from rabies infected humans.:D

Has anyone read about that witch superboss that is exclusively controlled by the AI? It attacks you and kills you in one hit if you shine a flashlight on it or just annoy it. Wonder how that will work out if you get ambushed by a pack of regular zombies.
The Witch. It's a rather pissed off female infected with a nasty scream and a nasty set of arms. It doesn't attack unless directly provoked (i.e. loud noises, bright lights, being wounded, etc.).

Isolation
17th May 2007, 19:47
Damn it... I try to base opinions on superficial aspects and Ging and Star start bringing up the AI. Curse you two!

*Grumble*

Yeah, well if we can get a hidden player server or something, I might just show up...

Demented
17th May 2007, 20:04
The Witch is probably the boss of one of the game modes, which makes one wonder. It probably can't have all that much health if it can kill in one hit. Or it's easier to avoid than the name "Witch" suggests. Though, a boss is a boss.

Ging
18th May 2007, 00:50
From what I've read - you just don't start on the Witch if you want to survive... It's got the power to take down the entire team if you aren't careful round it.

starstriker1
18th May 2007, 01:06
If you do attack, you're supposed to need the utmost coordination if you want to come out of it.

I'm kinda hoping that nobody posts images or videos of the witch prior to release.

Demented
18th May 2007, 01:32
You get a demerit for angering the witch. So much for the bright idea of witch-hunting. :p

<Beatlemania>
18th May 2007, 02:10
What? It's a VALVe owned game that's being developed by Turtlerock, why in Hell's fires would it ever be free?

The first, and last, time I heard about it was more then a half a year ago, and as it was in its primal stages, it was practically introduced as a mod. Also, theres so many fricking other zombie mods that it blows my mind.

I've looked it up and watched the 1UP video and it looks sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeet.

Ayrehead
18th May 2007, 03:23
Apparently its been a bit of a pet project for the "leader" Michael Booth, since they finished doing the Cs:source bots

theres an interview somewhere (i've watched and read so many that I can't remember) that Michael says it came from playing with 2 CT's fully loaded against like 50 Terrorist bots with just knives.

Anyways, since I heard of this game I knew I wanted it. It looks so different then any multiplayer game I've played. And it seems they've really thought out ways to get rid of the "newbs". With all the demerits and very easy ways to votekick someone whose being a nuicance.

Also I've noticed on the steampowered forums that people are starting groups so that they will have people to play with, and also to ensure that their playing experience isn't ruined by some little toehead.

I would completely be into starting some sort of group like that so I know someone will have my back when I'm fighting zombies.

Doc
18th May 2007, 04:08
On a related note, does anyone know how to cure priapism? I heard about this game and it just. won't. stop.

QReaper
18th May 2007, 11:27
The first, and last, time I heard about it was more then a half a year ago, and as it was in its primal stages, it was practically introduced as a mod. Also, theres so many fricking other zombie mods that it blows my mind.
Pretty much 75% of the zombie mods that were in development at that time are no dead, dead, dead.:(

Daedalus
18th May 2007, 11:41
You get a demerit for angering the witch. So much for the bright idea of witch-hunting. :p

Oh man, gotta love the merit/demerit system. :)

Night Raider
18th May 2007, 20:53
Yeah, this game I'm definitely buying. Coop gameplay = sign me up!