PDA

View Full Version : Halo 3 Beta Footage

Isolation
11th May 2007, 20:53
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6170614.html

GameSpot is about to have a gameplay marathon playing the Halo 3 beta, which press outlets got access to today.

Alt
12th May 2007, 00:32
**Half expects uproar of Halo fans to LOL @ me** but, it looks different to Halo 2 how?

Demented
12th May 2007, 01:01
Having never played Halo 2... I dunno.

Of course, I can only see a very bad slideshow with my connection. And that's on the recorded vid.

QReaper
12th May 2007, 01:16
**Half expects uproar of Halo fans to LOL @ me** but, it looks different to Halo 2 how?
Final graphics are not yet in place.

I can't seem to view the footage, but it's okay, I'm playing it in 5 days.:)

starstriker1
12th May 2007, 04:03
True, it doesn't seem to look that hugely different from Halo 2 in grainy video footage... but what I can see is that:

1) It is running very smoothly
2) Everything looks very crisp by comparison
3) Lighting model is improved
4) Little touches, like the fantastic looking waterfall

And thats just off the top of my head.

I can't wait for Wednesday!

Isolation
12th May 2007, 05:26
It had some niceties, but I was overall unimpressed by it. I actually quit watching before they were done playing. Something about Halo's MP never rubbed me the right way... probably has to do with the fact that it reminds me far too much of the Doom days. One MP model, different colors.

Noir
12th May 2007, 06:49
and the fact that the weapons are so horrendously unbalanced that it just sucks any form of fun imaginable from it?

Demented
12th May 2007, 06:56
Y'know, I don't mind horrid weapon balance so long as you have some reason to use the weaker weapons. (I'm looking at you, Counterstrike.)

Of course, in other games (Halo included, I believe) that usually leaves the rocket launcher and sniper rifle.

legoman
12th May 2007, 07:22
Y'know, I don't mind horrid weapon balance so long as you have some reason to use the weaker weapons. (I'm looking at you, Counterstrike.)

Of course, in other games (Halo included, I believe) that usually leaves the rocket launcher and sniper rifle.

TMP - best weapon in the whole game. I would literally use it all the time, and have some sick scores.

@ Halo 3

Don't see the huge excitement... same game each time, slight improvements (if none at all). If only they'd put a few polygons into the rest of the world, as they do with Master Chief.

Sil
12th May 2007, 10:18
Y'know, that pistol stings a good bit. At least in the original Halo.

QReaper
12th May 2007, 14:45
The excitement stems from two things, which one depends on the person:

1) Complete fanboy syndrome. We're talking these people would suck a Bungie exec for free, that is, of course, if they didn't all have teenage boy syndrome as well.

2) Hope for an improvement. These people see the great story-line and good gameplay, but wonder where the promise went. Hoping, praying, that Halo 3 will be everything the Halo series could have been from the start.

Daedalus
12th May 2007, 15:57
We're talking these people would suck a Bungie exec for free, that is, of course, if they didn't all have teenage boy syndrome as well.

Lol CP V&

I kinda hate halo. Why? The consoles got a halo 3 in beta stage and we only have halo 1 on PC.

Really hate it how expensive consoles seem in my country. :|

Besides, the game's been hyped to hell.

Gusdor
12th May 2007, 17:29
and the fact that the weapons are so horrendously unbalanced that it just sucks any form of fun imaginable from it?
yes yes yes

Im not buying halo 3 - i dont care how good the PS is. They're MP implementation was up the wall and I am not giving thme any money for that.

BTW - shit weapon animation...

starstriker1
12th May 2007, 17:57
I think a lot of people like to bash Halo just because its popular. :p

Facts:
1) Halo's story and universe is always compelling
2) The gameplay is rock solid
3) All the Halo games have been indicative of Bungie's very high production values
4) The multiplayer is surprisingly addictive, balance issues aside (though I've only really played Halo multiplayer on the PC... only played Halo 2 in singleplayer)

I'm not going to spout some bullshit like "Halo is the game to end all games" or "Halo is something EVERYONE should love, if you don't you're just hatin'". What can't be denied is that Halo is a rock solid experience that exemplifies all the strengths of the genre. It hasn't succeeded the way it has on good luck and hype alone. There is a GAME backing that hype up.

Ging
12th May 2007, 18:18
3) All the Halo games have been indicative of Bungie's very high production values

Copy and paste level design is not high production value!

Zabiela
12th May 2007, 19:01

Did they get better at avoiding that in 2? (which I barely played). It was pretty fucking annoying in 1. Hall, generator chamber, hall, bridge, hall, gen chamber, hall, bridge....

starstriker1
12th May 2007, 19:18

Point. Halo 1's level design aside. >_<

Ging
12th May 2007, 21:39
They hid it slightly better in 2 - but there was a lot of back tracking through areas you'd been in before where it became glaringly obvious. I distinctly recall going over the same canyon a number of times - I seem to remember at least twice that was over the same bridge too.

starstriker1
12th May 2007, 21:47
I am very much hoping they've killed the practise entirely in the third attempt... though, I've already heard about some fairly huge, open ended, massive scale setpiece battles, so that gives me some hope.

NiceGuyEddie
12th May 2007, 23:33
We'll see how it pans out, but unless things have made a huge about-turn (to the point where it bears little or no similiarities to H1 and 2) then no monies from me Mr. Bungie. Break the Ctrl, C and V keys off the keyboards of your LDs then we'll talk. Never before or since Halo have I navigated a game by the absence (or not) of corpses. Proper reference points please.

Besides, all this bullshit about placeholder art is ridiculous as well. Like they'll magically shoehorn in lots of Gears destroying artwork and models in three months? Sure...wish I could find that particular button in 3DS MAX.

Halo fanboys need to wake up and smell the coffee. It looks like Halo 2.5 now, and it still will, come release.
/rant

starstriker1
13th May 2007, 02:47
I'm not saying that it'll get a huge graphical overhaul... those aren't placeholders. What I am saying is that the artists are probably going to be going over the levels and effects and adding tons of little details and tweaks, which will probably make everything pop up more than it does.

Frankly, I wouldn't be judging the graphics of the final product by the multiplayer maps, either, considering that SP is far more suited to making interesting looking levels.

SoulAssassin
16th May 2007, 16:41
does anyone know when the beta actualy becomes possible to be downloaded?
I was sure it was today but on crackdown still says have to wait.
Is the release 2moro?

QReaper
16th May 2007, 16:57
Not sure what the deal is with Crackdown. They've yet to let it out for CD users, but I've been playing it for four hours.

starstriker1
16th May 2007, 16:57
Something is goofing up, according to the Bungie website. Kinda hoping I can start playing this sometime today...

Isolation
16th May 2007, 19:27
Borked!

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6170822.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;1

starstriker1
16th May 2007, 19:44
Gamespot has serious problems with checking their facts. There is no demo, and nothing was taken "offline", its just that the damn Crackdown keys aren't working as planned.

Isolation
16th May 2007, 19:58
Sorry... how many players do you think will actually report issues they find with the game? Very, very few I'll bet. For all intents and purposes, it is more accurate to call it a limited demo rather than a beta. But, that hardly matters. And when you can't access content, most people use the phrase "offline". Nitpicking about the language used seems silly.

starstriker1
16th May 2007, 20:02
The differences are pretty huge. A beta is unfinished content, a demo is indicative of the final game. Taking the beta offline means NO ONE is playing it, when its simply a matter of certain people being unable to download. Its not nitpicking the language, its taking issues with factual errors.

Isolation
16th May 2007, 20:17
Demos usually say "does not represent quality of final product". That is, unfinished. Sort of like a beta state game (and given that the Halo 3 MP beta does not contain the whole game, it moves more into demo territory). And I'm not gonna argue about the content being "offline" or some other word. Have issues with the news all you want, the fact is that people ain't playing the game, there's actual problems with it, and people are trying to fix it.

Gusdor
16th May 2007, 21:33
I kinda hate halo. Why? The consoles got a halo 3 in beta stage and we only have halo 1 on PC.
LIES
Halo 2 was released on PC recently - it is under the 'Games for Windows' banner and requires Vista.

Ging
17th May 2007, 02:59
Well, they've finally fixed the crackdown issue - my download has started, but doesn't seem to be doing much, how I wish it would tell me my transfer speed over Live.

Isolation
17th May 2007, 04:34
Well, they've finally fixed the crackdown issue - my download has started, but doesn't seem to be doing much, how I wish it would tell me my transfer speed over Live.

Ditto for just about every online console... Wii gets a jumping Mario with his annoyingly loud coin pick up, PSP gets a simple download status bar... But, I think the PS3 actually has a speed indicator, but what I saw was on a japanese unit.

Demented
17th May 2007, 04:46
Wii gets a jumping Mario with his annoyingly loud coin pick up

Now that I have to see!

starstriker1
17th May 2007, 07:06
My download actually went ABSURDLY FAST. It was almost like it was completely exceeding the theoretical bandwidth limit of my connection...

...also, Halo 3 is way, WAY more fun for me than Halo 2 ever was. Holy CRAP is it ever a blast... every weapon I picked up was balanced and useful, performance was consistent, and the new features like being able to rip off turrets adds just enough extra chaos to the already insane battlefield...

Noir
17th May 2007, 14:59
that was odd, nearly every waepon i picked up was shit. brute grande thing? wank. carbine? wank. couldn't quite fathom where the shield was useful, however, i loved the portable grav jump.
I enjoyed, for the most part what we played earlier. it hasn;t fully swayed me one way or the other tho. it's not as unfun as i thought it might be, which is a bonus.
It's a shame all the levels are outdoors and in the day. its gunna struggle to compare on gears, graw etc with no kind of fancy lighting.

Ging
17th May 2007, 15:20
I popped down the shield in a desperate attempt to save myself - I just got raped in the back of the head by a rifle butt instead...

QReaper
17th May 2007, 16:28
that was odd, nearly every waepon i picked up was shit. brute grande thing? wank. carbine? wank. couldn't quite fathom where the shield was useful, however, i loved the portable grav jump.
I enjoyed, for the most part what we played earlier. it hasn;t fully swayed me one way or the other tho. it's not as unfun as i thought it might be, which is a bonus.
It's a shame all the levels are outdoors and in the day. its gunna struggle to compare on gears, graw etc with no kind of fancy lighting.
The Brute Grenade's throwing physics seem a little...off, but it's function is nifty. The carbine is absolutely murderous if you aim it at their heads. The shield is incredibly useful...but don't expect it to help you at close range, it's an anti-long range weapon/explosive shield, not a personal shield. The portable grav lift is only useful in certain situations, but in those situations you're glad you have it.

Noir
17th May 2007, 19:18
to add to that, the active camo is now shit as well, in that i could be more invisible by being a brown spartan and standing next to a tree. i've just played a bit more, and find myself sticking with the defualt rifle :/

starstriker1
17th May 2007, 19:36
The spike grenades are wierd when you try throwing them... but DAMN, are they ever useful, since you can set them off by shooting them and lay some nasty traps...

Personally, I've found all the weapons, even the ones people complain about like the SMG, to be pretty useful, especially when dual wielded. Also: detachable DOOM TURRETS. Bwahaha.

Night Raider
18th May 2007, 01:33
Goddamn I love this beta. It's Halo 2 multiplayer on steroids, with a few graphical updates. However, graphics aren't really the reason to get this.... the gameplay kicks serious amounts of ass. The new weapons are beautiful, and it really seems like Bungie nailed the balancing of the weapons. Definitely can't wait for Sept. 25.