View Full Version : Booo Hiss - Spore Delayed

Gusdor
9th May 2007, 13:29
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6638771.stm

ffs - gimme the game already!

Daedalus
9th May 2007, 14:29
Yeah, I just heard about it.

Come on, this is gonna end up like STALKER and I'll lose interest after all these delays!

Dr.SharK
9th May 2007, 14:58
Come on, this is gonna end up like STALKER and I'll lose interest after all these delays!

I'll be content if it then turns out to be excactly as awesome as S.T.A.L.K.E.R

Lethess
9th May 2007, 16:26
I'll be content if it then turns out to be excactly as awesome as S.T.A.L.K.E.R

stalker in my opionion now sucks after i beat it 3 times, could have been better now that i thought it for being deleyed or made for 7 yrs

Cyborg
9th May 2007, 16:30
wait- Spore is by EA? expect a disappointment, maybe.

starstriker1
9th May 2007, 16:36
EA is a publisher, not a developer. Its branding has no impact on the quality of the games it is selling, as it varies wildly between developers and projects.

QReaper
9th May 2007, 19:43
Spore had a release date in the first place?

Also: %!@&*%&!*%&!*%&@!%&!@*%&*!%&*!%&@*$%&%^@!*&*&*&!$@#$@!$*&@$*!$@*!&!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Dark Soul
9th May 2007, 20:17
Yeah I'm a little irritated.The game looked done LAST year,they better get a beta out or something.

<Beatlemania>
9th May 2007, 21:35
NOEEE!! Actually thats not such a big surprise. I looked on Gamespot every couple of days to see if the date had changed, and now it has :mad:

Demented
9th May 2007, 22:07
Every big game these days seems to get a delay. I suppose it just looks good for the stockholders to have a deadline.

Isolation
10th May 2007, 02:09
This just in:

I am one of only a handful of people who don't give a damn about this game.

:D

In short, just be patient, you Spore-heads.

QReaper
10th May 2007, 03:31
In short, just be patient, you Spore-heads.
Die in a fire, Heretic.:mad:

:p

Demented
10th May 2007, 05:09
Oh, it won't kill you. Or will it?

Isolation
10th May 2007, 06:31
Die in a fire, Heretic.:mad:

:p

I just don't see why the fandom is so huge over the game... I've played PLENTY of games by renowned developers/creators that turn out to only be mildly good, but were not even close to living up to the hype (case in point, Peter Molyneux).

-<<SyycK>>-
10th May 2007, 09:30
That for me would be gears of war...
Was that only popular coz of the unreal 3 engine or whats up with all that?

Dr.SharK
10th May 2007, 14:19
stalker in my opionion now sucks after i beat it 3 times, could have been better now that i thought it for being deleyed or made for 7 yrs

Why the hell would you play through a (quite) long game, that you think "sucks", 3 times?

Demented
10th May 2007, 15:16
Trying to get one's money's worth by being a stubborn sonofabitch? I gone dunnit before.

Gusdor
12th May 2007, 17:30
EA is a publisher, not a developer. Its branding has no impact on the quality of the games it is selling, as it varies wildly between developers and projects.
Yeh, you would think...
Played a decent EA title recently that isnt a rehash?

I just don't see why the fandom is so huge over the game... I've played PLENTY of games by renowned developers/creators that turn out to only be mildly good, but were not even close to living up to the hype (case in point, Peter Molyneux).
True story. BLack and White is shit....

starstriker1
12th May 2007, 18:00

Isn't that what he's KNOWN for? From what I can tell, he really likes to make huge promises and only deliver half-way. Granted, that "half-way" is a fairly high standard in and of itself, but it pales by compariso to his promises.

Ging
12th May 2007, 18:13
I honestly can't think of many "big" name designers who's games have been over hyped and not lived up to it (Molyneux is the main offender, followed rapidly by Romero). But perhaps that's just due to a lack of what I'd consider "big" name designers :D

Zabiela
12th May 2007, 18:55
As long as they dont pull the "we got our computers hacked and our code was stolen" like valve for hl2.

Isolation
12th May 2007, 22:28
I honestly can't think of many "big" name designers who's games have been over hyped and not lived up to it (Molyneux is the main offender, followed rapidly by Romero). But perhaps that's just due to a lack of what I'd consider "big" name designers :D

Some of the other "big namers" I think of are the Japanese developers, like IGA from Konami and Nintendo's Miyamoto (oh, and Itagaki from Team Ninja...)

Ging
20th June 2007, 10:57
Time to find something else to play for the foreseeable future peoples!

http://kotaku.com/gaming/pc/spore-slip-sliding-away-270324.php

ProgrammedToConsume
20th June 2007, 15:59
Improving the game while milking the sims...Duke Nukem Forever may come out before Spore.

Isolation
20th June 2007, 19:17
Improving the game while milking the sims...Duke Nukem Forever may come out before Spore.

Daikatana II might come out before Spore :rolleyes:

Demented
20th June 2007, 20:14
That depends on how well John Romero can shut up about it.

So much as a HINT of Daikatana 2 being made and the developers will be assassinated quietly in the night. Which will naturally impair development.

Isolation
20th June 2007, 20:19
That depends on how well John Romero can shut up about it.

So much as a HINT of Daikatana 2 being made and the developers will be assassinated quietly in the night. Which will naturally impair development.

Meh, development will be done in a secret bunker deep in Russia by Chinese sweat shop children. WMD indeed. Destruction of the video game industry right there (if Take-Two does not beat them to it).

Night Raider
22nd June 2007, 14:30
Actually Fiscal 09 starts in April 2008, so the game will probably be released in late Spring or Summer of 2008. Less than a year, I think I can still wait a bit longer.

Source: http://pc.ign.com/articles/798/798281p1.html

Demented
22nd June 2007, 15:56
You're forgetting the Immediate Pre-Release Delay. That bumps it up another 4-5 months.

Edit: Weeks, I meant weeks!

Isolation
22nd June 2007, 19:24
You're forgetting the Immediate Pre-Release Delay. That bumps it up another 4-5 months.

Edit: Weeks, I meant weeks!

There you have it folks-waiting-for-spore. Demented just jinxed it for you. Have a nice day.

Sphinx
24th June 2007, 20:31
Bah, Spore won't come out for a loooong time, and anyone who thought it would meet its initial release date was just plain gullable :P the massive scale and the procedural programming are tuff things to code and debug. Also, HL2 took a while to hit the market, but when it did it was amazingly entertaining and had production value thru the roof! Delays are the 'in' thing to do right now lol

Ging
24th June 2007, 21:25
it was amazingly entertaining and had production value thru the roof!

Were we playing the same game? I obviously missed out on the entertaining part... Or the "thru" the roof production values...

Sphinx
24th June 2007, 23:00
I quite enjoyed it. The atmosphere was great, the attention to detail, the physics, the water effects were sweet, the big brother/fahrenheit 451 feel etc etc, and it had no Xen crap in it. Also, when you bang a brick against different objects that are shapped differently the impact sounds different. I thought it was quite polished and crisp compared to alot of other shooters. The only thing that sucked was Steam but they seem to have improved it alot since release.

Isolation
25th June 2007, 03:14
Half-Life 2 was fun, but... dunno, I only played it all the way through twice, but Deus Ex... I spent a year playing that (and even now, still loving that game).

Night Raider
25th June 2007, 14:32
Half Life 2 is just that, a sequel to the most innovative FPS game. HL2 just tried to expand it, adding the Physgun and life-like physics. The rest we've seen in other games already, but it's still entertaining and fun.

I agree, there are games more innovative than HL2, but it succeeds in creating an enjoyable game, true to the HL formulae.

Zabiela
25th June 2007, 19:38
I think at this moment I may be forgetting how enthusiastic I was about the phys gun. I mean- we had never seen anything like that, and It was one of the first games I played with a proper phys engine/interaction.

Isolation
25th June 2007, 19:43
I think at this moment I may be forgetting how enthusiastic I was about the phys gun. I mean- we had never seen anything like that, and It was one of the first games I played with a proper phys engine/interaction.

Then you missed any number of Havok based games before HL2 :rolleyes: . While HL2 has good interaction, some games just had better looking objects (Max Payne 2 comes to mind), but hell... even the little known Psi-Ops had the same sort of gimmicks as HL2 (Phys gun powered by YOUR MIND), and IT came out a few months earlier.

Demented
25th June 2007, 21:08
Though I don't recall there being a modding community for Max Payne 2...

Isolation
25th June 2007, 21:38
Though I don't recall there being a modding community for Max Payne 2...

There is, it's just really, really small (sadly...)

Ging
25th June 2007, 23:34
Half Life 2 is just that, a sequel to the most innovative FPS game.

Woah, now that I really really missed - HL was the most innovative FPS game? When the hell did that happen?

It had a reasonable story - until you got to Zen (well, the majority of the alien enemies were fairly rubbish), but that was it, there certainly wasn't much in there that was innovative!

Sil
25th June 2007, 23:51
Doom or Wolfenstein or something must've been among the most innovative ones. Half-Life 2, with a physics engine, is rather innovative. Portal has an innovative gameplay twist. But Half-Life? Fine, killing your friends was unheard of until Half-Life, but -- nah.

System Shock?

Night Raider
26th June 2007, 00:07
It was the first FPS with a Holywood-esque story. There were no cutscenes, all the story was told ingame. It drew people in, something no other game had done to that point. Plus, the story was so complex, with so many unexplained things, that people just wanted more. (hence the later EPs).

I mean, who can ever forget the mysterious G-man, or the strange anomaly that started it all? What about the first time that you fight the grunts? When you're knocked out and tossed to die in a compactor? The first time you took a look at Zen? The fight with Nihilist? I could keep going.

The AI was one of the best (for it's time), with grunts taking cover and working as a team to kill you. They used grenades, they radioed in your position... it was hard to go back to the old idiotic AI.

And that's not too say anything about the Modscene. This was the game that put mods on everyone's lips. Yeah, there were some old and crappy doom mods, which replaced textures and sprites... but this was just a whole new level of awesomeness. Counter-Strike, Team Fortress, Day of Defeat, Sven Coop, The Ship, and hundreds more. Without HL, mods would have never gotten as much attention.

So yeah, i believe it was very innovative. Sorry for the long post, but once again it's my inner fanboy speaking. Should probably keep him on a tighter leash. :D

Daedalus
26th June 2007, 08:27
Well, Raider said it all.

The most interesting concept in the games is that Gordon never speaks. The game is much more immersive that way. And the mods too.

Basically HL was my first ever original game, since piracy is very common here. The idea of buying a game which has a multitude of mods for free was too good for me. :)

Boxy
26th June 2007, 08:42
Without HL, mods would have never gotten as much attention.
I'm of the school of thought that Half Life probably wouldn't have been as popular or around as long if it wasn't for mods, rather than the other way around. It's not HL that has 180,000 (http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=stats&cc=GB) players or so, its CS. Thats all Valve really have to my mind, a load of mindless drones playing CS and CSS. HL and HL2 are nice games to play through once, but thats about it. They are not all things to all men...

Dont even get me started on episodic content, Valve need to get over that turkey of an idea.

Demented
26th June 2007, 09:55
As far as I can recall (which is not very well...), Half-Life was, in a way, the first of the modern PC FPS games.
Console FPSs, not so much. Funnily enough, Goldeneye beat Half-Life to the punch, but consoles stagnated later on.

Half-Life mixed enough from games already created to form a new archetype. Or, at least, modernize an old archetype enough to create something new. That 's as close to innovative as you can get while still being an FPS.

Where do you go from there?
Mix FPS with RPG? (System Shock 2, Deux Ex)
Mix FPS with 3rd-Person? (GoW, prolly others)
Emphasize multiplayer? (Quake 3, UT, Tribes, Battlefield)
Make another Doom clone? (Serious Sam)
Oh, that's right, we change the weapon and armor systems! (Halo)
DirectX 10?
Bioshock?
If you had to beat Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, and now Half-Life, you'd choose All of the Above. And put a little extra effort into the AI, while you're at it.

John
26th June 2007, 10:03
The opinions of Ging and Boxy are soley their own and do not necessarily reflect the opinons of the Hidden: Source team.

The H:S team loves HL/2 and loves working with the next-gen tools and the fluid art pipeline HL2 allows us we want a steam update to create industry standard art and levels in record time.

Ging
26th June 2007, 12:28
It was the first FPS with a Holywood-esque story.

Ignoring GoldenEye - released 3 years before HL - than yes, that is something it did "first"...

Yeah, there were some old and crappy doom mods, which replaced textures and sprites... but this was just a whole new level of awesomeness. Counter-Strike, Team Fortress, Day of Defeat, Sven Coop, The Ship, and hundreds more. Without HL, mods would have never gotten as much attention.

Erm, Team Fortress started with Quake... As did the modding scene in all honesty, nothing quite as major as for HL, but then the tools weren't nearly as accessible. I remember people hand writing .map files for compilation in notepad.

Night Raider
26th June 2007, 15:55
Ignoring GoldenEye - released 3 years before HL - than yes, that is something it did "first"...

Haha, yeah because the best way to tell a story is through long mission briefings and subtitles with no sounds. :) At least that changed with Perfect Dark.

Erm, Team Fortress started with Quake... As did the modding scene in all honesty, nothing quite as major as for HL, but then the tools weren't nearly as accessible. I remember people hand writing .map files for compilation in notepad.

Ah, you got me with TF, but I can still name many more awesome mods for it. Maybe the tools weren't the best, but there were still LOTS of mods, LOTS of maps, and LOTS of custom models, sounds and skins.

Ging
26th June 2007, 16:52
Haha, yeah because the best way to tell a story is through long mission briefings and subtitles with no sounds. :) At least that changed with Perfect Dark.[\quote]

You said "Hollywood-esque story" - I'd be forced to say that GE had a decidedly Hollywood story, if only because it's licensed from one! Presentation may not be the best, but it's story was good (better than the standard sci-fi drivel that's presented in HL)

[quote]Maybe the tools weren't the best, but there were still LOTS of mods, LOTS of maps, and LOTS of custom models, sounds and skins.For Quake? Yes, you're right, there were lots of mods, lots of maps and lots of custom bits and pieces :p Even more for Quake2...

Night Raider
26th June 2007, 16:57
For Quake? Yes, you're right, there were lots of mods, lots of maps and lots of custom bits and pieces :p Even more for Quake2...
You know which game I'm referring to. I don't have any experience with GoldSource engine, so I can't tell if you were which engine you were referring to.

You said "Hollywood-esque story" - I'd be forced to say that GE had a decidedly Hollywood story, if only because it's licensed from one! Presentation may not be the best, but it's story was good (better than the standard sci-fi drivel that's presented in HL)
Meh, I agree to disagree.

QReaper
26th June 2007, 19:35
Perfect Dark.
*has a fangasm at the exact moment he reads those words*

Isolation
26th June 2007, 20:48
What's this bullshit about Hollywood stories? If ANYTHING, Dark Forces and it's sequel, Jedi Knight come closer than GoldenEye ever did (want cutscenes? How about ACTUAL chunks of story?) I mean, the DF games were the best things to come out of something with "Lucas" attached since Empire Strikes Back.

Seriously, how GoldenEye could actually be considered as HAVING a story is mind boggling.

And, as far as Perfect Dark... well, it beat Deus Ex by a month. Woopideedoo. DX was the better game by far.

Demented
26th June 2007, 21:17
Ah, try Marathon. Nyah!

-SM-SUCKER
26th June 2007, 21:26
Custom Levels for Descent were great. You could change textures, sounds and hus as well...

Isolation
26th June 2007, 21:32
Ah, try Marathon. Nyah!

True, I just hate the Marathon games :rolleyes:

Ging
26th June 2007, 21:33
Seriously, how GoldenEye could actually be considered as HAVING a story is mind boggling.

I'll agree with DF (and DF2) being better games in terms of story (and general playability) than either GE or HL, but GE did have a story...

Isolation
26th June 2007, 21:35
I'll agree with DF (and DF2) being better games in terms of story (and general playability) than either GE or HL, but GE did have a story...

If you count the briefings, right? Half the time I only knew WHY things were happening because I saw the movie. Maybe my memory is cloudy, I just don't recall too much (elaborate, anyway) set up to the levels.

Demented
26th June 2007, 21:38
Half-Life's story was more inferred than stated. An American misunderstanding it I can comprehend... But a Britisher? That's just not right.

True, I just hate the Marathon games :rolleyes:

Heretic! Barbarian! Mongrel!

Isolation
26th June 2007, 21:45
American! American! American!

Fixed.

I'll admit I did not play the Marathon games when they were new. I tried them after Bungie released them for free, but I found them unplayable. I can go to Doom and have fun, even Duke3D/Shadow Warrior/Blood, but not Marathon.

Demented
26th June 2007, 21:54
Aw, I loved the Marathon series. It was the only game series I could ever think of where the hardest difficulty level was actually worthy of being called the hardest difficulty level.

5 seconds (10 in Marathon 2) into the first level and you're out of ammo, covered in enemies. Whoops.

I mostly only played Marathon 2, though.

Daedalus
27th June 2007, 10:00
DX was the best.

Fixed.

My nickname agrees. :p

Night Raider
22nd July 2007, 07:41
The game might have been delayed, but maybe this will ease the wait. (Or worsen it?..)

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/146

Will Wright gives us another look at Spore.

Also, necro post!

Demented
22nd July 2007, 09:09
Neat.

But if I ever see a creature made by Will Wright, I am going to gas it with hydrogen for the good of the universe, and probably the creature itself. Set the world on fire! Lovecraft would be proud of that man.

Felf
22nd July 2007, 12:46
Hmm, spore... It'd better be good when it does come out...

I thought B&W rocked actually; shame about the expansion/sequel. Anyways, I'm not into spore because of the developer; I never liked Sims. It's the premise itself that interests me (and all the other fans of the game I know personally).

QReaper
23rd July 2007, 05:03
Holy Jesus in Heaven Son of God's Chosen Virgin Mary! You can get out of your UFO! I may joke about this a lot, but I actually do think I need a change of pants!:eek: