PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Temporarily Health Boost - Painkillers?

Raven-A
4th May 2007, 15:54
Hey, i did read the sticky and what i am going to suggest doesn't apply to any of the restricted ones for IRIS.

So here i go then:

How about something that worked temporarily as a health boost? That either both classes have 1 use of, or you can select it as a item(laser sight and such) Can be a med kit or anything, i just thought of painkiller pills, they don't take to big space :D

example: You have 25 health left and you run away, Hidden is not nearby so you use your painkiller pills wich has a 2-4 second use time(Like reloading) and you only have 1 use of them. and your health gets boosted by, lets say 25 health. For a duration (Same as Adrenaline Duration?) You're health is 50. Now this can give you an increase chance of survival. If your health is under the extra 25 HP gained, you end up at 1 HP(or Death?). Like if your health gets down to 14 and your painkiller effect runs out(wich in this example would minus your 25 health you gained). You're down to 1 HP

maybe you can even add a random amount of health boost, or something :)

I think it's a good idea. The effect won't go over 100, like if you use it at 90 HP, you will have 100 HP.

But making a model and the animation, not sure how hard that will be. as i have never made a model or animation. Maybe add a "Swallow" sound with it.

Well, i'm not sure if this will be flamed or anything. But at least it didn't go into any of the "No" subjects for IRIS;)

starstriker1
4th May 2007, 18:36
I'll admit, I like the idea. It would give the IRIS another way to counter the hidden when he decides to just in and do all his damage at once, making the hidden have to either take much longer than he'd like to in fighting the IRIS or let that marine be for a little while until the effect wears off.

What I'm not seeing is how it can be implemented cleanly, at the moment. If it was added as another weapon, thats just another piece of the inventory that a marine has to take care of. If its added as equipment, it makes the other pieces of equipment look weak and useless by comparison (unless they were ALL given more functionality, which could be interesting). Implementing it with another button complicates the control scheme of a game that ALREADY has a significant learning curve... though, to be fair, the marines aren't as worried about extra buttons as the hidden is.

Daedalus
4th May 2007, 18:43
A marine with 1 hp is just BEGGING to get killed with the smallest object in the map.

Paegus
4th May 2007, 19:19
had a thought about this a while back but as incorporated into the adrenaline shots.
the trick being that you're only getting 1 benefit from the shot at any one time. either a speed boost or health regen. as you move around you do so faster but your health doesn't regenerate during that time. as you stand still your health regenerates and obviously you're not moving so no speed boost.

additional things like having the blur (and speed/health) effects follow a curved effectiveness. right after you inject there'd be a slight delay (based on how much health you have with lower health = longer delay?) before the blur fades in over a half second or so as it reaches out from the heart. from there it stays peeked from some set time and tapers off smoothly in both blur and effectiveness calibrated to give some maximum amount of health if you are standing still the whole time.

there'd also be some aura effects so the hidden would see that something is amiss with the guy. recolouring a random selection of sprites or something so they show up in the correct health category but not quite.

the main problems being that there's 3 stims so the regeneration would be capped at a meagre 10 to 15hp or so making it tedious and ultimately too annoying to bother with and they'd basically be camp-in-a-can despite the fact that the vision blur would prevent doing that effectively.

i hadn't taken it as far as having the health fall off again though. having them be left with 1hp is certainly the funnest way but i doubt it would be too hard to have a stim pack death icon on themselves like a pipebomb suicide. at least that way the stats page would have something new and interesting to report.

Daedalus
4th May 2007, 19:42
Hmm, I'd like something to confuse the hidden's aura. Wouldn't affect your position or visibility. Instead of having a green-orange-red aura based on health, your aura would have totally randomized sprites.

The upside is that the hidden doesn't know what health you're at unless he gets in close. The downside is that you stick out like a ghost among mexicans in a crowd of full health IRIS, and you get attacked first for no freaking reason. :D

Demented
4th May 2007, 21:31
Maybe hook that one up to the NVGs, Daed. :p
Not that there's any good reason for it, since the things probably use standard issue batteries, but working the effect into an already-present piece of equipment is the only way I can imagine it being justifiable in the story.

Afterall, it seems a bit odd that they'd know enough about the hidden to make a biometric scrambler, but not enough to have something capable of detecting him.

It'd also be nice for the equipment pieces to matter....

lcpuche
5th May 2007, 23:33
Hmm, I'd like something to confuse the hidden's aura. Wouldn't affect your position or visibility. Instead of having a green-orange-red aura based on health, your aura would have totally randomized sprites.

The upside is that the hidden doesn't know what health you're at unless he gets in close. The downside is that you stick out like a ghost among mexicans in a crowd of full health IRIS, and you get attacked first for no freaking reason. :D

Drugs for the hidden!