PDA

View Full Version : Free Aim & Iron Sites

Solinarius
24th April 2007, 01:44
So what exactly is the stance on these features for this TC. I feel they make games far more immersive. Most importantly it would bring more tension to the I.R.I.S. And it would make the LAM much more useful (although it is good for the fn2k.. it isn't hard to judge where the center of your screen is), since you could get high accuracy without needing the iron sights.

Another thing I like about free aim is how you can cover "more important" ground.

Example:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/Reclusezoii/Shot00001.jpg

Paegus
24th April 2007, 09:42
iron-sights have been discussed to death and noed.

free aim? i'm not sure i get you. as in the field of view lags behind where the gun is pointing? sorta like Goldeneye (on the N64) had that aiming reticule that you could move around the screen?

Solinarius
24th April 2007, 16:32
You move the gun around freely and it shoots where it points. The view panned when the gun reaches the threshold of any one direction . Yes much like Goldeneye, but free-aim is always on. I feel it's kind of pointless without iron sights, since for some people free aim without a crosshair is tough.

Mr. Bottomhat
24th April 2007, 17:57
Like OP flashpoint aiming. I don't see how it would contribute to this mod, especially not when judged versus the time it will take to code.

starstriker1
24th April 2007, 18:38
I wonder: how much work would it be to animate the weapons on right click to come up to your face? If its not a challenge, then why not? Its not like it'd provide a useful advantage, and people who WANT to obscure their vision are free to do so...

Zabiela
24th April 2007, 19:22
Dont forget you'd need player model anims too.

Ging
24th April 2007, 22:38
I wonder: how much work would it be to animate the weapons on right click to come up to your face? If its not a challenge, then why not? Its not like it'd provide a useful advantage, and people who WANT to obscure their vision are free to do so...

Not very tough - couple of mods have done it and there's been a fair bit of discussion about it on VERC and the like.

Just doesn't appeal in terms of gameplay for us.

Demented
24th April 2007, 23:39
True. This mod is really going for the crude 1990s "mod-by-the-hip" feel. Iron sights and fine aesthetic touches just wouldn't fit. =P

Ging
25th April 2007, 02:14
Iron sights are for losers, it's true, Boxy told me.

Cyborg
25th April 2007, 02:48
Iron sights are for losers, it's true, Boxy told me.

I read it on wikipedia too.

Red
25th April 2007, 03:47
I'm a looser.

I don't like huds either.

Double looser. :(

Sil
25th April 2007, 12:32
I'm a looser.

I don't like huds either.

Double looser. :(
You and me both. =(

Hey, did you play Star Wars: Republic Commando? Good game for ironsights and realistic HUDs. You might like it. I loved it, favourite shooter of mine, as a single-player experience.

Felf
25th April 2007, 20:17
A small amount of free aim would be pretty cool. Especially since you've got laser sites anyway. I wouldn't like iron-sights though.

ProgrammedToConsume
26th April 2007, 01:27
I can't see an advanced intercept squad using iron sites.

Paegus
26th April 2007, 08:58
you can't see a guy with a gun using the aiming mechanisms inherently installed on said gun for quick and dirty aiming? :thumbsup:

gamewise though they're unimportant. the gun always points at a certain point on the screen.

and while i think about it, the easiest way to get something that simulates "free aim" is to recompile a CSS model for it. they sway around the screen like a bowl of jello when you move.