PDA

View Full Version : Wii Internet surfing

TheMorris
22nd April 2007, 06:08
This is pretty interesting, I am on my Wii trying out the internet. I'm testing out how well this post will work on the wii keyboard, and it is not as painful as one would think. Surfing is easy, and it is writing this post well, just need to see how it handled editing.

It is a lot easier then I thought, and surfing using the wii remote is fun, so I will try it out more.

Daedalus
22nd April 2007, 07:13
You know I've always wondered how consoles connect to the internet. Do you just take your regular ISP cable connection and plug it in?

Cyborg
22nd April 2007, 08:49
the wii has built in 802.11g, connecting to your router like a pc.

Ging
22nd April 2007, 11:25
You know I've always wondered how consoles connect to the internet. Do you just take your regular ISP cable connection and plug it in?

Depends on the console - the 360 by default has an RJ45 (8P8C) port so you can just plug in a length of standard ethernet cable in from your router / cable model and you're away. You can also purchase a WiFi adapter (essentially a USB bridge) to use instead.

The PS3 has either an ethernet port or built in WiFi - depends how much money you wasted when you bought one (WiFi being in the more costly model). The Wii, as Cyborg said, just has built in WiFi.

starstriker1
22nd April 2007, 18:28
Its a heck of a lot easier to type with the remote than it is to type with a gamepad... >_<

Isolation
23rd April 2007, 00:33
This is pretty interesting, I am on my Wii trying out the internet. I'm testing out how well this post will work on the wii keyboard, and it is not as painful as one would think. Surfing is easy, and it is writing this post well, just need to see how it handled editing.

It is a lot easier then I thought, and surfing using the wii remote is fun, so I will try it out more.

I tried it out on my sister's Wii. It's okay, but I prefer the PSP browser for some reason. I seem to be able to type faster with it. Side note: Making Mii's is pretty fun. Made some interesting ones, ranging from Kim Jong-Ill to Martin Scorsese to... Frylock and Meatwad. No joke.

Ging
23rd April 2007, 01:16
My Mii is an uncanny lookalike of myself - well, when I had slightly longer hair and a more beardy beard...

Isolation
23rd April 2007, 01:40
Temptation to start a "Show your Miis" thread is growing...

Zabiela
23rd April 2007, 20:59
Yeah, the browser has become very useful. When you want to show your friends a youtube video, its annoying to have everyone croud 'round the computer screen in the corner, its much easier to have it display on my tv while were on the couches!
Its too bad flash is just about the only plugin that works. I know its a pain in the ass, but they really have to get contracts with everything macromedia, microsoft, and apple/quicktime.

ProgrammedToConsume
24th April 2007, 01:09
There may have been a thread about this before but is it possible to play hidden:source online with the Wii? If so, how much better is it?

Isolation
24th April 2007, 03:09
There may have been a thread about this before but is it possible to play hidden:source online with the Wii? If so, how much better is it?

Anal nukes. Unbalances the game terribly though...

Indigo
25th April 2007, 20:25
I, personally, love the Wii internet browser, and have been using it since beta. There are even some Wii friendly sites with large clickable buttons and such, like this search engine.

http://clusty.com/fresh

Ging
25th April 2007, 20:51
Isn't the Wii browser just Opera?

Zabiela
25th April 2007, 21:12
Isn't the Wii browser just Opera?

Nope. The opera team made a browser specifically for it.

Demented
25th April 2007, 22:37
The Opera team made the Wii browser?

+1 Love for Wii

Isolation
26th April 2007, 00:26
Uh... it says "Powered by Opera" when I boot up. So... I figured it was Opera with a Wii skin.

Ging
26th April 2007, 01:16
Yeah, my belief was that it was just Opera ported to the Wii, same as the DS browser is just Opera ported across. It's how Opera make money, they release their PC version for free but charge for ports of it to other hardware.

Zabiela
26th April 2007, 01:20
They made it sound like there was an elaborate development process...

Cyborg
26th April 2007, 04:31
They made it sound like there was an elaborate development process...

i'm sure there was some sort of bug fixing and optimization. the wii doesn't have a pc's power, after all.

Demented
26th April 2007, 04:58
You don't need much to run a browser.

Zabiela
26th April 2007, 23:41
I've had it say "insufficient memory" when watching a long gvideo.

Sil
27th April 2007, 17:03
Doesn't matter. A PS3 has no magic wand like the Wii.

Fugetabowtit, eh?

Isolation
28th April 2007, 05:09
I've had it say "insufficient memory" when watching a long gvideo.

Ugh... I hate that message. Get it all the time on my PSP. Makes it so I can't view the HS site proper.