PDA

View Full Version : New totally terrific balancing idea :)

drknoerz
12th April 2007, 00:37
I hope itīs new (if not so terrific at all...) :)

there are people playing hidden on a absolutely impressive level while being 617. When somebody is exeptionell good as iris, the chance getting killed is still really high by a medium level 617.

so just a little idea: the corpseeating could be a little more dangerous for the hidden. maybe if he couldīnt use aura after eating for 10 seconds. eating would become much more hard for him. especially low playercount game rounds (3-4 iris vs hidden) would benefit from it i think.

at teh moment eating is totally safe for very hidden that knows how to use aura view. i think it would spice it up a little - since it is a very attractive thing to do for 617 :)

starstriker1
12th April 2007, 01:00
First: don't have anything along the lines of "omg my idea is so awesome" in your post, as gives the wrong impression. (I know you were joking about it)

Second: Could someone move this to the suggestion forum? Thats where it belongs

Three: Hmm... you know what, I like it. I'd love to be making the hidden guess a bit more with this, as it IS far too easy to stay safe while feeding. However, I don't think the penalty need be THAT harsh. I think it only needs to be a length of 2-3 times the time between slashes. Therefore, it gives the hidden a choice: eat quickly but with a significant risk, or slow it down and be a bit more secure.

Good idea!

drknoerz
12th April 2007, 01:15
First: the smily should make this obvious for everyone, i think... especially because everone thinks the game could benefit from the ideas that pops into the particular players mind :)

second: damn, youīre so right.

third: youīre idea seems to be even better and you pointed it out just right when you wrote: "...it IS far too easy to stay safe while feeding...." - so any way to make this a little bit more dangerous for 617 would be a nice change in my opinion.

iīm playing for a while now and i meet more bad hiddens than I am myself. although - i meet quite many that are much better than me. but: even I have no problem at all regaining my health by feeding - so I think it would be a benefit to the game. it is a powerfull tool to the hidden - and he is everything but not powerfull enough ;)

had this one come up before?

Paegus
12th April 2007, 01:44
would be simpler to just tie the aura into the attack action. so whenever you attack and for a brief time afterwards the aura doesn't work. if you attack while aura is active it cuts out. or have it flicker on and off randomly and not produce any actual aura sprites so you get the white flash but not the markers.

from there if you're gonna mess with the aura and assuming it gets fixed to not be limited by vis optimizations how about having the aura's detection radius expand as you hold it down.

starstriker1
12th April 2007, 01:50
No, actually, not to my knowledge.

@ Paegus

Hmm... that's a thought. I'm initially against that because it would make it VERY hard to use it properly to watch the IRIS, and would essentially be a nerf on the hidden even if the visleaf wasn't an issue. On the other hand, it would slow down the gameplay, which might be desired.

drknoerz
12th April 2007, 02:42
would be simpler to just tie the aura into the attack action. so whenever you attack and for a brief time afterwards the aura doesn't work. if you attack while aura is active it cuts out. or have it flicker on and off randomly and not produce any actual aura sprites so you get the white flash but not the markers.

from there if you're gonna mess with the aura and assuming it gets fixed to not be limited by vis optimizations how about having the aura's detection radius expand as you hold it down.

sure another good thought - but it would prevent 617 from slashing around to disturb the iris, since it would make him unable to use aura view for a time. you know - the useless slashing you do just to give the iris a hint where you are at the moment. thats a nice thing that shouldnīt be punished, i think.

nevertheless - a lower slashing frequence (not only while feeding) would get a lot of the "he slashed m 3 times in a row"-whiners going mute. but thats not the topic here ;)

in my opinion starstrikers idea to make the feeding time longer is a very practical way to make corpseeating less easy. maybe getting less health out of one corpse (like only 10hp instead of 25) would be a good thing, too...

starstriker1
12th April 2007, 02:54
Nah, simply making the hidden have to be CAREFUL about it should be enough... a risk is all that's required in order to make the hidden play a bit smarter. Though, perhaps, to accentuate it a bit, increasing the time between slashes during feeding (at least) would also help that.

To top it off, it might actually make using feeding as a lure MORE effective, since the more experienced players who wouldn't fall for it now have a very good reason to rush in quickly... after all, they very well COULD catch the hidden napping. On the hidden's end, it'll take a bit more skill, yet it'll be more rewarding when it works.

Daedalus
12th April 2007, 08:20
maybe getting less health out of one corpse (like only 10hp instead of 25) would be a good thing, too...

No way. Killing two and a half people just to heal one shot by the assault rifle is not cool.

drknoerz
12th April 2007, 11:37
No way. Killing two and a half people just to heal one shot by the assault rifle is not cool.

hmmm - thatīs true, somehow... I was just thinking of it because some good hiddenplayers are "nearly impossible" to hit. and often the hidden tends bo be clearing out the rookies in a iris team without getting a scratch. so then there are lying a few corpses around allowing him to get fully recharged. and this is by far harder on a server where are only a few people playing than on a full one.

another thing: how about letting the hidden only recharge to a certain amount of health. lets say 80% for example. that way a hidden that has been hit once, will never be "as good as new". That would give the iris team a good hunting feeling since they know, feeding or not - hidden is having a harder time from that moment on. that would give the "if it bleeds, we can kill it" a whole new edge ;)

Demented
12th April 2007, 21:31
another thing: how about letting the hidden only recharge to a certain amount of health. lets say 80% for example. that way a hidden that has been hit once, will never be "as good as new". That would give the iris team a good hunting feeling since they know, feeding or not - hidden is having a harder time from that moment on. that would give the "if it bleeds, we can kill it" a whole new edge ;)

For some reason, that tweaks my fancy. It's so... simple.

Still, the idea about disadvantaging the hidden further while he's feeding was hitting a sweet spot... Perhaps some more ideas around that? I.e. feeding consumes stamina.

ProgrammedToConsume
12th April 2007, 21:46
Perhaps some more ideas around that? I.e. feeding consumes stamina.

Oooo, me likey. That would make them have to seriously consider if it's worth it. Using too much stamina continually is suicide in a server full of people with fn2k's and SG's.

drknoerz
13th April 2007, 01:02
For some reason, that tweaks my fancy. It's so... simple.

what does "tweaks my fancy" mean?

stamina idea is good, too. but it has to be a huge cut to be recogniced - since stamina is regaining so quickly. maybe a combi of the two ideas would be good (longer feeding slashes + stamina loss). Maybe feeding could be only available at full stamina...

starstriker1
13th April 2007, 01:55
I'd say just keep it simple. A delay on using aura again is already a huge negative... tossing more on top of that may be overkill, and keeping it simple has it's benefits!

That said, a stamina drain would REALLY make attacking a feeding hidden a great idea... he'd be a fair bit less mobile!

Demented
13th April 2007, 03:14
what does "tweaks my fancy" mean?

I suppose the proper expression (not really a metaphor, is it?) would be "tickles my fancy", but...

It just means I like it (http://www.answers.com/tickle+my+fancy&r=67). (Says it's from the 1700s...)

drknoerz
13th April 2007, 12:32
I'd say just keep it simple. A delay on using aura again is already a huge negative... tossing more on top of that may be overkill, and keeping it simple has it's benefits!

That said, a stamina drain would REALLY make attacking a feeding hidden a great idea... he'd be a fair bit less mobile!

But one thing would be still remaining: hidden picks aup a corpse an takes it to a place where he cam make sure (using aura) that no one will get there in the time he needs to eat and recharge hp. of course - keeping the hidden from picking up corpses IS NOT AN OPTION ;)

@Demented aw - ok :) i like it, too! it would make the hidden value the 100% much more - since he isnīt get em back ;)