PDA

View Full Version : Never got around to playing...

Indigo
10th April 2007, 23:15
I've recently been digging through bargain bins for some older games that I never got around to buying. Until recently, I'd never played KOTOR, the first Far Cry, Starcraft, Warcraft 3, Escape From Butcher Bay, Morrowind or Diablo 2. Though the graphics don't always stand the test of time, the gameplay almost always does. Any recommendations for some older buried gems?

Alt
10th April 2007, 23:43
Doom 3, Serious Sam: Second Encounter, Mafia, some of the older Splinter Cells?

Paegus
10th April 2007, 23:45
Drakan, Descent, AvP, Tron, AquaNox, Freespace 2 (it's free online btw and i don't mean free in the illegal sorta way either), Commandos, Jedi Knights, Thief

Indigo
11th April 2007, 00:19
Drakan, Descent, AvP, Tron, AquaNox, Freespace 2 (it's free online btw and i don't mean free in the illegal sorta way either), Commandos, Jedi Knights, Thief

Ah, yes, Tron 2.0 and Thief are good ones. :) Damn you, Eidos, for shutting down Ion Storm!

QReaper
11th April 2007, 00:33
Doubt you'll find it anywhere in retail stores, but Postal 2 is a fun, super-violent, massively satirical game filled with dark humor and well rooted parodies.

Zabiela
11th April 2007, 00:47
Doubt you'll find it anywhere in retail stores, but Postal 2 is a fun, super-violent, massively satirical game filled with dark humor and well rooted parodies.

That game has profoundly disturbed me, in a funny way :D

Ging
11th April 2007, 01:09
Damn you, Eidos, for shutting down Ion Storm!

That's no ones fault but Ion Storms - while Austin put out some good games, they made some poor choices and Dallas just pissed money away... I'm still impressed that Dallas lasted as long as it did, even more impressed that Eidos kept Austin going after that!

Night Raider
11th April 2007, 01:48
Deus Ex, Ghost Recon, Operation Flashpoint, SWAT 3, Max Payne, GTA 3, No One Lives Forever, and Return to Castle Wolfenstein. All of them are oldies, but goldies.

Isolation
11th April 2007, 04:49
The Punisher :D

Sil
11th April 2007, 09:02
Monkey Island 1, 2, 3 and 4. (Can't vouch for number 4, but the three others were *excellent*.)
Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. (Sequel surpassed the original, IMO, but it *is* a sequel, so you should play the original, too.)
Fallout 1 and 2. (Excellent games. Post nuclear rpgs, the best RPG series I ever played.)
Fallout: Tactics. (Not rating it alongside Fallout 1 and 2, as it isn't even an RPG, and a lot of fans were put down by it. It's still immense fun as a tactical combat game, and I'd say it's well worth anyone's time.)
Black and White is always worth a mention, and so is Battle For Middle-Earth. The latter is a game I was *very* loathe to even install, as I really like the LotR books -- but the gameplay is great fun, and the four sides you can choose greatly compliment eachother.

Yer. I'll throw some more games up as I remember them.

(For now, I'll just mention Loom and Indiana Jones as well. Ancient games from the early nineties, but great fucking fun, well worth the few mb's of HD space they demand.)

Euphoria
11th April 2007, 10:47
The earlier tomb raiders, meaning anything before number 5 (chronicles.) Deus ex (already mentioned) for definate, one of the best games I have ever played.

-SM-SUCKER
11th April 2007, 11:16
I'd like to mention the Need For Speed series. As well as Flatout2 and P.O.D. (looked great with an 3dfx card).
Sacrifice was a funny real time strategie game as well as Homeworld.
And if you play Descent you have to play 1 and 3.
Last but not least: Day of the Tentacle.

Sil
11th April 2007, 11:25
Alongside DotT comes Maniac Mansion, of course. =)

Paegus
11th April 2007, 11:28
just watch out for games like Need for Speed 4(?) that simply will not install on anything other than windows 98...

-SM-SUCKER
11th April 2007, 11:33
I forgot to mention TrackMania!

P.S: Use Spaghetti with Mummy

Daedalus
11th April 2007, 12:17
Deus ex (already mentioned) for definate, one of the best games I have ever played.

Qft

edit°
11th April 2007, 12:35
Well i've read through and theres some bloody good recommendations here, especially by Sil and Paegus, I'd go through their lists and buy it all mate.

Terra Nova - Really, REALLY old game but if you can get it working, its ace.

XCOM (or UFO: Enemy Unknown if you're an old fart) - Immense strategy game, not in the traditional way - well worth playing.

System Shock, 1 and 2. - Experience true terror :D

Star Wars : Rogue Squadron - Fun little flight sim

Command and Conquer : Red Alert - This doesn't need explaining

Quake 1 and 2, Duke Nukem 3D + Hexen1 and 2 - You CAN'T go through life having not played these. Fundemental first person shooters for anyones experience of modern gaming to benefit from.

http://www.abandonwarering.com/ - Almost any game from the amiga on there :D I honestly can't be arsed listing all the titles that were immense back then but you'd be hardpressed to find too many shit ones. Just go through and download anything that you recognise the name from and its likely to be super awesome alabama liquid snake tastic or a steamy i-turd.

The Origional GTA games - Nuff said tbh, you can even download them legally: http://www.rockstargames.com/classics/

Grim Fandango - Beautiful looking graphic adventure game from Lucas. In fact, theres a DVD out there called the Lucas Arts Adventure Pack or something similar - GET IT. It contains DOTT, Monkey Islands, Sam and Max, GF and a shitload of other top titles. What the hell did LA start smoking to stop making awesome games?!

Galactic Civilisations 2 - Pretty hard and time consuming but really fun. TBH I'd skip straight to the second based on what I've heard.

Civilisations 3 - Great strat

Simcity - might be on abandonware

Shogun : Total War - Many see it as a really bad Rome : Total War beta but if you can get it in some kind of total war pack (someone else clarify if such a thing exists please) its worth playing.

Fragile Allegiance - Political space strat, quite difficult and time consuming but fun.

Battlezone 1 and 2 - I never played 2 but battlezone one really was underrated and pioneered what we call the battlefield experience of today. So amazingly before its time. When you get it, search for the BZF (battlezone federation) if its still going and see if you can get it working on multiplayer.

Thats about all I can do before exploding into a pile of remeniscing mess, haha. I might post back later when I've gone through my cupboards.

[edit] Alright, bugger it. Nostalgia time :D

AMOK - Can barely remember this but I got a demo of it once and it was hella fun. You play a mech pilot going around blowing the hell out of soliders.

Might and Magic games - all the same but a great way to waste time.

Terminal Velocity - Really surreal flight game, not to be missed though imho.

Rogue - you play an @ symbol trying to get through a dungeon, addictive as shit.

Any of the early elder scrolls games - MASSIVE. MASSIVE DUNGEONS. MASSIVE. The only RPGs where I've heard tell of people (who aren't stupid) getting lost in a dungeon and having to restart their game because of it.

Final Fantasy 7 - Best FF game. An emotional rollercoaster, haha.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein - I personally didn't rate it, but so many people did.

Thief didn't get enough of a mention - get all 3 and play them till your eyes fall out. And whilst I've said that, Fallout 2 is THE best game ever made, anyone who doubts it is a fool.

Another World - Hella difficult, again ahead of its time and beautifull to look at. A good example of limited technology being used to maximum effect - take note modern game designers *waves fist*.

Arcanum - Fallouty, BG2y RPG. Great but nowhere near fallout. Nice system of tech and magic meeting though.

Unreal - The origional unreal (not unreal tournament) had a nice single player, I never completed it.

Rainbow Six (and expansions/rogue spear) - Fun single player, hacked multiplayer. Chances are you can get an R6 pack with all the games somewhere.

Dungeon Siege - Again, I didn't personally rate it but if you like your dungeon crawling adventure games, it does its job.

Simon the Sorceror - Great point and click adventure game. Good music and great humor. Might be a bastard to get working though, check abandonware forums for hints.

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis - One of the greatest point and click games ever made and quite varied in how you can do most things. I've played it three times and its been a completely different game for the most part each time, bar the main story ofc.

War of the Worlds - Yes, its what you think. It was a hardcore strategy game.

Commandos - Really fun WW2 strategy/puzzle game. I can't describe it better than that, you'd have to get it for yourself and enjoy.

Worms - Made by Team17 just 20 mins from me, a really fun series for LAN.

Neverwinter Nights - Single player is ABSOLUTELY shocking but multiplayer can be the best organic roleplaying experience you can get with a PC game. Its the closest thing to tabletop DnD if you like that sort of thing that I've come across.

Vampire the Masquerade : Bloodlines - some of the makers of fallout had a hand in this and I really rate it. Another game where, depending on your chosen family of vampire to play, you can play it through about 5 times and not get the same game twice.

NOW, I'm done for a bit :D

Daedalus
11th April 2007, 12:58
Terminal Velocity - Really surreal flight game, not to be missed though imho.

Holy crap, I just remembered how awesome that game was!

Paegus
11th April 2007, 13:38

Rainbow Six (and expansions/rogue spear) - Fun single player, hacked multiplayer. Chances are you can get an R6 pack with all the games somewhere.

Worms - Made by Team17 just 20 mins from me, a really fun series for LAN.

damn it and i have those in the case i flipped through while picking out game i recall liking immensely...

The pre-Raven Shield Rainbow Six games screwed with you on an epic scale for multiplayer though. even on LANs it would suddenly choke up completely and then after running around for 2 minutes shooting everyone else point blank in the head because they weren't moving you'd suddenly end up on the other side of the map. Especially in Bunkers... no X, no Mids!
Same with AvP 1

Sil
11th April 2007, 13:44
Raven shield is my favourite MP experience. Lockdown blows, it feels like a nerfed and arcadey Raven Shield, and -- yeh. It's horrible.

Mr_Spoon
11th April 2007, 14:14
Theme Hospital :)

Sil
11th April 2007, 14:21
Ah, yes. Theme Hospital is a classic.

Chas0r
11th April 2007, 16:21
Just digging through my collection. There are way too many so I rather pick them randomly. The real gems are mentioned already anyway, so this won't be too exciting ;)
Gothic. I and II all the way! (haven't played the third yet¹)
Vietcong. One of the best singleplayer FPS there ever was (haven't played the sequel either¹)
Beyond Good and Evil. I remember (unintentionally) opening a thread (http://forum.hidden-source.com/showthread.php?t=4425) for this one. Awesome gaming experience while it lasts.
Max Payne. (Have there been more than 2?)
Some unfamiliar ones are
Giants. I loved the game for its humour, back then. It also had an unofficial sequel called Armed and Dangerous, but it was lacking the 'classiness' of the prequel. Imo both are worth playing, but that depends on your sense of humour, I suppose.

I hope I not make a fool of myself when adding Half-life. :)

I also liked many console adaptions that don't really fit into this list, like the Soul Reaver series or the Prince of Persia series. I enjoyed these games dispite their ..plainness, but you can't generalize that.

Now it comes to adventures; i played more graphic adventures than any other genre², so I force myself to keep this short.
The Longest Journey. Best adventure ever. Make sure to play the first before heading on to
Dreamfall.
Other good ones are
Fahrenheit, The Dig, Broken Sword Series, Floyd

¹ my rig sucks :)
² There's no other genre I esteem as much as adventures. Sadly there's few people left who appreciate the true value of a good adventure.

// may edit further

edit°
11th April 2007, 18:14
I agree on themehospital.

And whilst we're on that sort of thing:

Dungeon Keeper I and II - Ace, age-old strategy games involving you beating your denizens to a bloody pulp if they dont work fast enough :D

Sil
11th April 2007, 18:23
Gotta ask, Indigo -- is the quote in your signature from a Pratchett book, or does it just sound like one

ProgrammedToConsume
11th April 2007, 18:57
All of the old final fantasy games are good.

I doubt you'll find this one but Sanity:Aiken's artifact is pretty good for an old game.

edit°
11th April 2007, 19:40
Its from an old film about a hacker who breaks into the pentagon's computer and almost starts world war three called Wargames. Great film.

Demented
11th April 2007, 20:58
The only one I can think of not mentioned yet... Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. There's a quote for every discussion imaginable. If you like turn-based civilization games, it might even be fun to play!

Then there's Crusader: No Remorse/Regret as well...

scratch
11th April 2007, 21:16
Syndicate Wars
Goblins
Blood
Shadow Warrior
Thief - already mentioned, but i loved this game
Freelancer
Starcraft
Master of Orion
Carmageddon
Nox
Alone in the Dark
Little Big Adventure

I guess the list of good games is endless. Perhaps we should concentrate on the real blockbusters? xD

Chas0r
11th April 2007, 21:31
I guess the list of good games is endless. Perhaps we should concentrate on the real blockbusters? xD
That's what we try ;) - it depends on personal preference after all. Listing all-time top-ranked games won't do the trick either, that will be mainstream stuff anyone knows already. I think we should mention the titles that are not so well known. Some..[How do you say 'Geheimtipp' in English?^^]

Indigo
11th April 2007, 22:51
I'm not sure that Armed and Dangerous was affiliated with Giants: Citizen Kabuto, though it was similar.

Gotta ask, Indigo -- is the quote in your signature from a Pratchett book, or does it just sound like one

Yeah, it's from Wargames as Edit said, and I'm surprised anybody remembers it. :) I am a Pratchett fan however...

Ging
11th April 2007, 23:53
I'm not sure that Armed and Dangerous was affiliated with Giants: Citizen Kabuto, though it was similar

Made by the same studio (Planet Moon Studios) - so not surprised that they're similar.

Knigh7s
12th April 2007, 04:10
Wing Commander III: Heart of the Tiger
Wing Commander IV: The Price of Freedom
Wing Commander: Prophecy
Wing Commander: Privateer
Wing Commander: Armada

I personally like this series(never played the non highlighted ones though)... alot of the other OBG's were already mentioned.

Daedalus
12th April 2007, 08:15
Then there's Crusader: No Remorse/Regret as well...

I remember playing one of those to death when I was little. Good days.

The Wing Commander series were awesome as well even though I only played from prophecy onwards. I remember that mission when you were attacking the huge capital ship and you had to kill subsystems to blow it up. Sad to say I haven't encountered anything like this in any new game... :rolleyes:

-SM-SUCKER
12th April 2007, 10:52
I remember that mission when you were attacking the huge capital ship and you had to kill subsystems to blow it up. Sad to say I haven't encountered anything like this in any new game... :rolleyes:
Go play Freespace. I loved the first time you encountered the alien race. Fighting an unkown target without targeting him was quite fun!

Sil
12th April 2007, 11:11
Yeah, it's from Wargames as Edit said, and I'm surprised anybody remembers it. :) I am a Pratchett fan however...
Right. Sounds like something Vetinari might've said. =P Being a Pratchett means you've read one or more of his books. Never met anyone who wasn't a fan after reading one of his. Good on ya. I've read 'em all, 'cept for hat full of sky. =/ Gotta get around to that one.

Zabiela
12th April 2007, 19:43
Anyone care to concur with me that the Panzer Dragoon series was great? Consoles yes, but... w/e.

Demented
12th April 2007, 20:48
Go play Freespace. I loved the first time you encountered the alien race. Fighting an unkown target without targeting him was quite fun!

Of course, you don't have to shoot out subsystems to blow something up in Freespace. Just reduce its hull integrity to 0%. Which, on the larger ships, only takes forever. (Also, I somewhat cheated when I encountered the shivans. Selected an ally and then hit 'j' to select his target. Voila, my missiles could lock. Didn't matter, though... they were ineffectual against shields.)

With WC: Prophecy (and its expansion pack, the only ones I played... 2d fighters just never appealed to me), on the other hand, needs only to destroy the subsystems. Specifically the bridge and engines. The capital ships don't have a hull integrity (as far as I could tell.) That happened several times, so it wasn't so exciting.

What WAS exciting was nuking an enemy fighter/bomber with a torpedo! Took a good 5 minutes just to get the thing locked on, but once that happened, that's all she wrote, buster! It was also amusing watching the torpedo try to catch up with the enemy, but, you know...

legoman
12th April 2007, 21:11
K so all the ones I wanted to list were already here... but I still have a few to share. These aren't games I overlooked (well, at some point I did, but at another - I eventually got around to playing them), but some of you might have ignored them:

Homeworld (1 or 2) - an absolutely terrific real time strategy game set completely in space. I don't think a lot of games pulled off the space aspect too well, and this one definitely hit the spot.

All of the Quake counterparts - basically, all the variations of Quake I or Quake II that were created. That means games like Hexen 1 and 2 or Heretic 1 and 2. These were - THE - best LAN games ever created. You could play them all co-op as well, which was also extremely fun. THEY DON'T MAKE GAMES LIKE THIS ANYMORE!

System Shock II - I think that anyone who knows what this game is or has played it, they would probably agree that this is the original scariest game of all time. Not much to say, really - it's a predecessor to Deus Ex and... well, psionic/psychopath monkeys, 'nuff said.

Undying - a first person shooter that many people overlooked. I'd be wrong, but I would say that this is the second most terrifying game ever made after SSII. This was one of the first FPSgames that allowed customizable dual weilding, not only with weapons, but with magic as well. The story is from Clive Barker's book called "The Undying" and the reason why the game was successful is simply because the writer himself was present at all stages of development and provided feedback on how to intregrate a book's story into a terrific video game. The developers did their magic of pleasing the gamer.

No One Lives Forever 1 and II - though I haven't played the first one, I think NOLF 2 is easily one of the greatest games ever created. Everything about it was simply flawless... except the multiplayer. The graphics, the AI, the voice overs, THE MUSIC, the engine and the gameplay... just perfect. It's the one game that made you actually care about your enemies before killing them because they were designed so well, with attitude and personality, that they were almost human on-screen. I often have the urge to reinstall this game and beat it all over again, on hard difficulty.

I guess that's all I can think of for now... and they're all PC games though, but I don't have any consoles. I'll try to come up with some more later.

Night Raider
12th April 2007, 21:23
Thanks for the thread guys. It's a nostalgia trip through gaming's finest. :)

Paegus
12th April 2007, 21:36
Rise of the Triad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rise_of_the_Triad). may the words "flame" and "wall" bring you much tinkly skeletal collapsing joy!