PDA

View Full Version : Game Suggestions

AMT
2nd April 2007, 21:34
First off, I just want to say it was a pain in the ass to register. It asked me five times what IRIS stood for and I, five times, answered with exactly what is posted on the About page until the question changed.

Second, I've only had the mod for 4 hours, and am pretty much about as pissed off as I have ever been about a video game in a long time. Maybe I'm just hungry.

Last, I apologize if this post seems a bit hot-headed. Hidden is a good idea, but it definitely needs major tweaking. Here are my suggestions:

1. Fix the bug where you have to create a special shortcut in order for the game to work properly. This should have been fixed the moment Source SDK Base was released.

2. The tutorial level for the Hidden is insanely hard, I had to noclip to get to the top of the elevator. It also should be more clear with the instructions. Should say "You can attach yourself to a wall buy going up to it, looking up, pressing Pounce, and then Pounce again when you have reached the desired height".

3. It should be easier to deploy motion detectors. Sometimes, I have to walk insanely close to a wall to deploy it, and even then it doesn't always work unless you jump or crouch, etc.

4. Figure out how to make the Hidden look the same on all video cards. I know for a fact that transparent textures render quite differently on ATI and nVidia cards. Make damn sure the hidden looks EXACTLY the same on both. Furthermore, restrict access to the game if a user has an older video card that doesn't render transparent textures correctly (ie dx7 level cards, older ATI cards, etc). This gives users a huge advantage to fighting the hidden.

More suggestions later after I've eaten.

Notes / Other Ideas
I may just suck at the mod, but something definitely isn't right gameplay. It is insanely hard for me to see the hidden (yes I have all the graphics set right) and yet when I am the hidden, I get shot 20 seconds into the round from half way across the map where I know I can't be seen. Hackers, rendering, quality, w/e - figure out what the hell the problem is.

The source engine is awesome, but it - like most game engines - has one flaw: it isn't the same on all computers. It is great that the game can run on an old PC, but in multiplayer, its the easiest way for someone to exploit - aware of it or not. So, if possible, force certain video settings. Because people come along, lower all their settings and can see in even the dark when they shouldn't. Like I said before, make damn sure the mod looks the same on 99% of the computers it is running on, because it ruins the fun when someone can see when they shouldn't.

You can't control all of it though, people can still crank up their brightness/gamma on their fancy LCD monitors that could provide lighting for an entire stadium, but you can try.

- Andrew

Ging
2nd April 2007, 22:32
First off, I just want to say it was a pain in the ass to register. It asked me five times what IRIS stood for and I, five times, answered with exactly what is posted on the About page until the question changed.

That's been resolved now - cheers for pointing it out.

Second, I've only had the mod for 4 hours, and am pretty much about as pissed off as I have ever been about a video game in a long time. Maybe I'm just hungry.

What exactly got you so pissed off at it?

1. Fix the bug where you have to create a special shortcut in order for the game to work properly. This should have been fixed the moment Source SDK Base was released.

We're in the process of preparing an update to do this without releasing a mangled code base (which is why we didn't do it when the SDK base was released) and to be fair, we weren't aware just how screwed up the entire thing would become thanks to changes Valve made to one version of the engine and not the other.

2. The tutorial level for the Hidden is insanely hard, I had to noclip to get to the top of the elevator. It also should be more clear with the instructions. Should say "You can attach yourself to a wall buy going up to it, looking up, pressing Pounce, and then Pounce again when you have reached the desired height".

The tutorial has been re-worked for our next major release - but as it is, there are rest points up the elevator shaft to make it easier and with practice it is doable in a single run.

3. It should be easier to deploy motion detectors. Sometimes, I have to walk insanely close to a wall to deploy it, and even then it doesn't always work unless you jump or crouch, etc.

The code is essentially the same as the SLAM - just without the detonation, personally I've rarely had issues.

4. Figure out how to make the Hidden look the same on all video cards. I know for a fact that transparent textures render quite differently on ATI and nVidia cards. Make damn sure the hidden looks EXACTLY the same on both. Furthermore, restrict access to the game if a user has an older video card that doesn't render transparent textures correctly (ie dx7 level cards, older ATI cards, etc). This gives users a huge advantage to fighting the hidden.

Above DX7, we don't use a transparent texture - it's a shader, the appearance of which only differs between DX8 and DX9 (as one is per-pixel refraction and the other per-vertex). We're dropping all support for sub DX8 in our next update.

I may just suck at the mod, but something definitely isn't right gameplay. It is insanely hard for me to see the hidden (yes I have all the graphics set right) and yet when I am the hidden, I get shot 20 seconds into the round from half way across the map where I know I can't be seen. Hackers, rendering, quality, w/e - figure out what the hell the problem is.

Remember - you've been playing for 4 hours, others have been playing for close to 2 years... Practice, as ever, makes perfect.

You can't control all of it though, people can still crank up their brightness/gamma on their fancy LCD monitors that could provide lighting for an entire stadium, but you can try.

We're aware of this and we do our best to combat it, but there's only so much you can do before you're expending more effort than the problem is worth.

-SM-SUCKER
2nd April 2007, 22:39
say please

with a bit of time you will see that it's not impossible and trains you well for the real thing

You have to be close because otherwise you would throw them at the wall which would suit nikolodeon (how ever you spell that)

B5 will cut the support for DX7 and lower. People will see nothing.

You will get better at spotting the Hidden. Takes time but it will get easier.
You get shot by those who played this mod more than you. If you want to live longer play as if you were visible.

Welcome to the forums btw

P.S.: just in case: This forum has a search button :)

ProgrammedToConsume
3rd April 2007, 00:32
The tutorial level for the Hidden is insanely hard, I had to noclip to get to the top of the elevator. It also should be more clear with the instructions. Should say "You can attach yourself to a wall buy going up to it, looking up, pressing Pounce, and then Pounce again when you have reached the desired height".

It's called the player's guide, and it's useful when your new, it tells all about what the hidden can do.

For any other trouble, like Sm sucker said, the search button is your friend.

AMT
3rd April 2007, 01:07
@Ging: Excellent, I await the next release.

@Sucker: :)

@Lord Xemnas: Already read the manual.

I had In N' Out, I feel much better now.

- Andrew

ProgrammedToConsume
3rd April 2007, 01:09
@Lord Xmas:

So... my name is Xmas now?

Anyway, if you haven't already done it, read the stickies, they help.

Euphoria
3rd April 2007, 12:16
So... my name is Xmas now?

Until you brought it up then, I'd always thought of you as Lord Xmas as well:D .

ProgrammedToConsume
3rd April 2007, 15:41
Until you brought it up then, I'd always thought of you as Lord Xmas as well:D .

Dang, ok who else just now realized my name is xemnas?

Daedalus
3rd April 2007, 16:20
Dang, ok who else just now realized my name is xemnas?

I always read it as Xenmas. But now that I look over it... ;)

ProgrammedToConsume
3rd April 2007, 18:26
At least someone was close. I never thought my name would be read like that before.

Demented
5th April 2007, 09:57
I always thought, subconsciously, that an 'a' belonged in there, even if it wasn't actually there.

As for the OT:
Reasonable suggestions, but you do have quite the attitude when you're hungry. :P

ProgrammedToConsume
5th April 2007, 22:07
I always thought, subconsciously, that an 'a' belonged in there, even if it wasn't actually there.

I'm quickly starting to hate my name.

As for the OT:
Reasonable suggestions, but you do have quite the attitude when you're hungry. :P

I'm certainly not happy when hungry, but his anger bordered on hungry, pregnant woman angry.

Subface Normal
18th April 2007, 01:30
At least someone was close. I never thought my name would be read like that before.

Why hello santa. How's XMas coming along this year? Are all of the happy cheerful elves working away with their little tools and hammers or are they just trying to file the chains and slave-like mechanisms off to escape again? (PS- Where's my g**damn Mail Order Bride already?! I asked for that b**** 4 years ago and you still havent delivered! Dont you keep an extra stock of them in the back rooms or something?!)

ProgrammedToConsume
20th April 2007, 16:34
First of all, it's Christmas damnit.

Second, yes I do have them but they're mine for when the Mrs. doesn't deliver. That and jimmeh keeps taking women for his harem.