PDA

View Full Version : Grand Theft Auto IV

Isolation
29th March 2007, 20:05
Trailer hits in about 2 hours.

http://www.rockstargames.com/IV/

I can only hope it brings back the magic that GTAIII brought to the series.

QReaper
29th March 2007, 20:28
OMGWTFBBQ TRAILER!?:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I am not moving from this spot.

Lord I am a massive nerd.

hutch
29th March 2007, 20:29
00:30:00
Now!

Ayrehead
29th March 2007, 20:38
I keed getting an error

anyone else?

Isolation
29th March 2007, 20:46
OMGWTFBBQ TRAILER!?:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I am not moving from this spot.

Lord I am a massive nerd.

Not as much as me, I've had the page open since before I posted.

And, no errors here.

QReaper
29th March 2007, 20:50
9:30

I'm excited, hopefully online co-op!

Edit: 404'd!? WHAT IS THIS HERESY!?

legoman
29th March 2007, 21:04
Bah, that game is the reason why my brother's project for porting Saint's Row to PS3 was cancelled. It's not that big of a deal when games get cancelled for stupid reasons since the employees get paid anyway, but it's still a bummer in terms of the amount of time and effort was put into development.

And they even got it to run at 20 FPS on the PS3.... they were that close.

Isolation
29th March 2007, 21:30
9:30

I'm excited, hopefully online co-op!

Edit: 404'd!? WHAT IS THIS HERESY!?

Odd. It says 29:30 for me. I guess they changed to a rolling release, rather than a straight 6:00 PM EST (or, you're missing a digit :P )

Demented
29th March 2007, 21:41
I'm looking at 18:45... no, 18:40... 18:35... damnit, stop counting, how am I supposed to post if you won't stand still!? STOP THE TIME!!!

18:15

QReaper
29th March 2007, 21:42
I can't even access the site countdown now.:(

Isolation
29th March 2007, 21:43
I can't even access the site countdown now.:(

My guess is: The vid is being uploaded.

Edit: T minus 11

none-of-the-above
29th March 2007, 22:02
The timers counted down and........."Internet explorer cannot display the webpage" :( damn.

Isolation
29th March 2007, 22:05
Fanboy flood :rolleyes:

Alt
29th March 2007, 22:06
Teh Garry's forum thread on this. (http://forums.facepunchstudios.com/showthread.php?t=304361&page=21)

Probably end up watching it tomorrow on YouTube.

Isolation
29th March 2007, 22:16
Trailer Is Loading

Zabiela
29th March 2007, 22:19
Major server asplosion.

torrent link: http://www.gta4.net/trailer/gta4_trailer.torrent

Isolation
29th March 2007, 22:21
Oh. Em. Gee.

Liberty City, except... it looks like a fucking full scale Manhattan island, with some NY state thrown in.

That was a sweet, but short trailer.

Isolation
29th March 2007, 22:33
http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=2924

Zabiela
29th March 2007, 22:51
TOD dynamic shadows will be nice. Enough with that "glow" crap.

Isolation
29th March 2007, 22:54
First time I watched it, I expected to see Spidey and Venom duking it out.

Zabiela
29th March 2007, 22:58
So it almost looks like hl2 graphics, on a city scale.

Ayrehead
29th March 2007, 23:21
So by the accent I'm guessing the main character is russian? or somewhere near russia

So russian mod stuff?

Demented
29th March 2007, 23:38
Ukrainian.

Or not.
Maybe he's from Slovatkia, and he's coming to Amerikah, in the city of New Pork.

QReaper
29th March 2007, 23:41
Seems to be lots of Ukranian/Russian/Polish accents flying around gaming.

Also: Real-ish New York-type setting, quite similar to New York?

Aw shit, I can hear Jack now...:rolleyes:

Night Raider
29th March 2007, 23:54
So it almost looks like hl2 graphics, on a city scale.

Reminds me more of Hitman: Blood Money's graphics.

I'm happy it'll have a PC release, I love GTAs on ye olde mouse and keyboard, and even more with the many mods that without a doubt will spring up from this new engine.

Isolation
30th March 2007, 00:12
Also: Real-ish New York-type setting, quite similar to New York?

I think it IS NY, but with the Liberty City name stamped on it. From the look of the video Roosevelt Island is in the game, Manhattan itself and (maybe) Coney Island (given the rollercoaster). Can't tell if any NY State is there...

Oh, and the game is running on RAGE, the engine Rockstar built and used in their table tennis game. One rumor going around... the guy is a terrorist. That sounds pretty Rockstar-ish to me...

Ayrehead
30th March 2007, 01:11
Where did you hear this guy was potentially gonna be a terrorist?!

and heard any other news?

Zabiela
30th March 2007, 01:48
Terrorism game... *braces for lawsuits*

Demented
30th March 2007, 02:11
I think it IS NY, but with the Liberty City name stamped on it. From the look of the video Roosevelt Island is in the game, Manhattan itself and (maybe) Coney Island (given the rollercoaster). Can't tell if any NY State is there...

Replace "I think it IS" with "It definitely IS".

QReaper
30th March 2007, 03:16
One rumor going around... the guy is a terrorist. That sounds pretty Rockstar-ish to me...
Sounds more like poor ol' CJ. Comes to town for the good of his heart/honor, gets sucked back in to what he does best...

Alt
30th March 2007, 05:53
Sounds more like poor ol' CJ.

Wtf hell no.

Noir
30th March 2007, 06:47
I was hoping for more tbh. It looks really pretty, but it showed me nothing of what they've done thats different, didn;t fully wet my appetite tbh.

Boxy
30th March 2007, 07:06
I was hoping for more tbh. It looks really pretty, but it showed me nothing of what they've done thats different, didn;t fully wet my appetite tbh.

QFT. It looks real pretty and everything but I dont see much they haven't done before or where the stuff that was suposed to be done differently? I'm sure I'll play this whatever but I fail to see how its different...

Ging
30th March 2007, 07:14
Have they said that they were doing anything 'different'?

Gusdor
30th March 2007, 09:14
no.......

big mistake imo, the quest i structure needs reworking

Zabiela
30th March 2007, 09:22
Have they said that they were doing anything 'different'?

The pre-trailer-release page had a message saying something along the lines of "We inform our fans to expect something "different", see for yourself how much" (apparently talking about the upcoming trailer- which didnt show much that was different). I would quote the exact but that text is now replaced by the trailer itself.

QReaper
30th March 2007, 11:27
The pre-trailer-release page had a message saying something along the lines of "We inform our fans to expect something "different", see for yourself how much" (apparently talking about the upcoming trailer- which didnt show much that was different). I would quote the exact but that text is now replaced by the trailer itself.
That was most likely referring to the real-ish representation of New York City.

CAPTAIN OBVIOUS STRIKE AGAIN.

Isolation
30th March 2007, 21:50
I'm willing to bet that Rockstar will change up the formula some how, in light of some recent imitators (Saint's Row, Crackdown). They did when the jump from PS1 to PS2 came around, and it would make sense to do it now.

Klo
30th March 2007, 22:18
People shouldn't be to quick to judge whether the game is different just by looking at one video basically showing off the graphics. We don't know anything about gameplay yet.

Zabiela
30th March 2007, 22:33
People shouldn't be to quick to judge whether the game is different just by looking at one video basically showing off the graphics. We don't know anything about gameplay yet.

Well, to explain myself, they said to expect to see the differences when the trailer came out.

Isolation
31st March 2007, 00:42
Which is true, given the abandonment of the "cartoon" like graphics in favor of photorealism (though, the characters themselves still look stuck in San Andreas).

Zabiela
31st March 2007, 02:55
Seems they're keeping San Andreas elements- cluckin bell and burger shots.

Isolation
31st March 2007, 03:25
Well, the created fake franchises, so it only makes sense to keep them from one game to the next (continuity ftw).

Zabiela
31st March 2007, 05:32
Well its because they're not in the recent Liberty and Vice city stories episodes. And also, because each game is made by a different rockstar branch, little graphics and details vary from one to the other, and I dont know what branch is working on IV.

Isolation
31st March 2007, 05:54
Well its because they're not in the recent Liberty and Vice city stories episodes. And also, because each game is made by a different rockstar branch, little graphics and details vary from one to the other, and I dont know what branch is working on IV.

Could have sworn that Rockstar North (formerly DMA) worked on the "primary" GTA games (3, VC, SA and now IV).

EDIT: GameSpot lists Rockstar North as GTA IV's developer.

Ging
31st March 2007, 10:43
Yeah, it's North that do the 'core' games - one of the guys who graduated off our course last year is working up there as a junior mission scripter.

ProgrammedToConsume
1st April 2007, 03:01
Crap, trailer wouldn't work for me. Well, does it seem to you who have seen the trailer that GTA IV has improved on the previous games?

Zabiela
1st April 2007, 03:34
Well, does it seem to you who have seen the trailer that GTA IV has improved on the previous games?

You should be able to find the video in a wide array of resolutions and formats, keep looking for one that works.

The video didnt show any gameplay, just some of the scenery (manhattan), and that looks very nice. Most outstanding difference imo: dynamic sun lighting, stuff casts shadows accordingly, and change with time, it looks sweeeeeeeet. Skyscrapers, evening, shadows. You get the picture.

QReaper
1st April 2007, 03:54
Crap, trailer wouldn't work for me. Well, does it seem to you who have seen the trailer that GTA IV has improved on the previous games?
I just showed it to you after school on Friday 'tard.:rolleyes:

:p

ProgrammedToConsume
1st April 2007, 18:23
I just showed it to you after school on Friday 'tard.:rolleyes:

:p

And it didn't work...not like I'm mentally present at school anyway.

QReaper
1st April 2007, 18:48
And it didn't work...not like I'm mentally present at school anyway.
Uh, yeah it did, you watched the whole thing, I was standing there.

ProgrammedToConsume
1st April 2007, 19:25
Uh, yeah it did, you watched the whole thing, I was standing there.

Really? Dang, how high was I? I didn't do anything else that was notoriously stupid did I?

Sil
2nd April 2007, 16:08

"Liberty" in "Liberty City" is referring to miss iron and copper. It's a clear-cut name-simile in order to avoid lawsuits. Think "Beamsword". ;)

I'm willing to bet that Rockstar will change up the formula some how, in light of some recent imitators (Saint's Row, Crackdown).
Crackdown is a Rockstar game. Hardly classifies as an imitation, IMO.

-- sorry for pedantic post. And I'm really sorry for only "going for" you, Iso, but I just want you to be right on these things. Or at least know my point of view. You're smart 'nough. *Scoots from the thread*

Post scriptum:
I love his accent. This will be my favourite GTA.

Ging
2nd April 2007, 16:42
Crackdown is a Rockstar game. Hardly classifies as an imitation, IMO.

If you're going to attempt pedantry - at least be correct...

Crackdown is not a Rockstar game, it was made by Realtime Worlds.

ProgrammedToConsume
2nd April 2007, 18:46
Crackdown is(at times) quite similar to GTA anyway. Subtract some gore, prostitution, and drugs then add some steroids and you have Crackdown.

QReaper
2nd April 2007, 18:48
Crackdown is(at times) quite similar to GTA anyway.
I'm pretty sure leaping over buildings, chucking cars/trucks and what not are a big digression there bubbah.

Isolation
2nd April 2007, 20:35
"Liberty" in "Liberty City" is referring to miss iron and copper. It's a clear-cut name-simile in order to avoid lawsuits. Think "Beamsword". ;).

;) No kidding? I've been to Liberty City what... 3 times now through the various games. In the past, LC was merely a gameplay arena that had a passing resemblance to good ol' New York. I was stating that this time around, it IS New York, not a lookalike.

As for the other thing... Ging got ya on that one :D Although some old Rockstar players moved on to do Crackdown, it's still an "imitation", in that it's not a, you know, GTA game.

ProgrammedToConsume
2nd April 2007, 23:23
I'm pretty sure leaping over buildings, chucking cars/trucks and what not are a big digression there bubbah.

Read my whole post. Note the words "add some steroids".

Your still only chucking cars? I'm already doing buses.:p

QReaper
3rd April 2007, 00:15
Read my whole post. Note the words "add some steroids".

Oh ho ho, but aren't we the hypocrite?:p

Your still only chucking cars? I'm already doing buses.:p

ProgrammedToConsume
3rd April 2007, 00:19
Oh ho ho, but aren't we the hypocrite?:p

Hypocrite? I read it, I merely didn't post that you could jump over buildings and chuck cars/trucks.

Try throwing buses, the can't be dodged easily.

QReaper
3rd April 2007, 00:33
Hypocrite? I read it, I merely didn't post that you could jump over buildings and chuck cars/trucks.

Try throwing buses, the can't be dodged easily.

Iw as talking about you saying I was just chucking cars. :\

Anywho, sadly, Crackdown doesn't have a massive amount of replay value, it could have used more than Assassination missions.

Sil
3rd April 2007, 13:15
If you're going to attempt pedantry - at least be correct...

Crackdown is not a Rockstar game, it was made by Realtime Worlds.
Damn, you sure? Guess you are. I just read in my trusted newspaper (which, by the by, is very respectable and normally right on everything, save perhaps video games...) that it was. Crap. *Looks into this*

I'm terribly sorry for being wrong. =P

ProgrammedToConsume
3rd April 2007, 14:47
Damn, you sure? Guess you are. I just read in my trusted newspaper (which, by the by, is very respectable and normally right on everything, save perhaps video games...) that it was. Crap. *Looks into this*

If he isn't I am. It's made by Realtime World, as stated when you turn it on.

@Qreaper: Tis true, Crackdown has little replay value. All there is to do after maxing your skills and finishing the gangs off is do the time trials and cause a little mayhem.

Ging
3rd April 2007, 14:52
Damn, you sure?

The case (and game) back me up :p

QReaper
3rd April 2007, 14:54

Technically, the paper was half right, as the creator of the Lemmings/Grand Theft Auto series was the one behind the design of Crackdown. He isn't part of Rockstar now, it seems.

Sil
3rd April 2007, 15:04
Technically, the paper was half right, as the creator of the Lemmings/Grand Theft Auto series was the one behind the design of Crackdown. He isn't part of Rockstar now, it seems.
Then the err was mine, I must have misremembered it as a Rockstar game, when they quite possibly only said it was from the designer of...

=)

Even I fail, when the planets are all aligned and the cock howls at midnight...

QReaper
3rd April 2007, 19:16
Even I fail, when the planets are all aligned and the cock howls at midnight...

Cthulhu fhtagn!:eek:

Night Raider
18th May 2007, 21:25
OMG a necro post!

Yeah, don't think this deserves a new thread, but I'm very excited about this game, and you should be too. Here's some info on the game that has been obtained by thegtaplace.com (http://thegtaplace.com) I'm posting mostly the important parts, so if you want some more info you should check out that link.

The main character's name is Niko Bellic - he is an Eastern European immigrant
Bellic arrives in Liberty City as he has been receiving emails from his cousin, Roman. At the start of the game, he is the only person you know.
Roman lies to get Niko to come to Liberty City, by telling him he has women, cars and money...he is actually in huge debt. Niko thinks he will live the "American Dream".
Liberty City's similarities to New York are as follows, with 4 of the 5 boroughs being recreated: Brooklyn = Broker; Manhattan = Algonquin; Queens = Dukes; Bronx = Bohan; New Jersey = Alderney
The scale of Liberty City is slightly smaller than San Andreas, except now there are no wasted parts (with countryside for example), it is a lot more detailed.
Multiplayer modes in GTA 4 are still to be announced, however, Rockstar have said it won't be a massively multiplayer online game. They are making something interesting, fun and progressive, and which ties in with single player gameplay.
Since it's only New York, there will be no planes in the game which you can pilot. Rockstar want the game to seem realistic, i.e. you won't be needing planes. However, helicopters are confirmed.
After the initial loading sequence, there will be no more loading screens to sit through, not even when transitioning between interior and exterior environments.
Niko's mobile phone has the ability to receive text messages and also has a camera which you can take pictures with. You will use a cell phone to call contacts. Niko can also use his mobile phone to do things such as set up deals and ambushes.
A big part of the game is delivering story in new ways and allowing the player to plot their own destiny (expect multiple endings.)
'Hardly any' of the characters from previous games will return.
Missions will offer an increased amount of realism, and will be longer and more varied, some will even have multiple possible outcomes.
It is implied that the ability to manually aim guns such as a pistol has now been implemented, when Niko pulls out a pistol, the camera will zoom in slightly, and a crosshair fixed to the center of the screen appears.
Hi-jacking a parked vehicle seems like it has more to it now. No longer can you simply open the door and drive off. Now you'll have to be stealthy about it, break the window to get in, and then hot wire it.
Rockstar are also trying to remove some of the less realistic things from GTA, such as arrow and markers showing the player where to go. Instead we will possibly make use of gadgets in Niko's possession such as his mobile phone.

Isolation
18th May 2007, 21:31
'Hardly any' of the characters from previous games will return.

I expect Lazlow, maybe a few other Radio personalities. I'm hoping for a cameo from GTAIII Guy (I refuse to use his real name...) and whoever else lived through III that was not annoying, or that skipped town.

Demented
18th May 2007, 22:50
More realistic! But only slightly more realistic!
Somehow, I can't imagine them making it so that you can find yourself on the FBI's Most Wanted list.

Daedalus
19th May 2007, 07:34
I expect Lazlow, maybe a few other Radio personalities.

DO WANT. The chatterbox station was the only one I'd listen to!

Night Raider
28th May 2007, 05:46
Some new high-res screens and artwork.

http://www.thegtaplace.com/news/11242/gta-iv-screenshots-and-previews-galore

I'm loving the graphics.

Zabiela
28th May 2007, 09:34
DO WANT. The chatterbox station was the only one I'd listen to!

"Im calling in because im part of 'Citizens raging against phones'! Phones are destroying our communities!
-Wait, your organization is called CRAP?!"

Sil
28th May 2007, 17:38
Some new high-res screens and artwork.

http://www.thegtaplace.com/news/11242/gta-iv-screenshots-and-previews-galore

I'm loving the graphics.
I'm not. They're all blurry in distance instead of cool and crisp. The "less detail in distance" is an effect already gained by "smaller in distance" and they wouldn't have had to give you molevision in order to simulate it.

Ging
28th May 2007, 18:39
They're all blurry in distance instead of cool and crisp.

That's partly due to depth of field and the bloom they've got going on.

Sil
28th May 2007, 18:50
I figured. And it's ugly. =/

Demented
28th May 2007, 20:34
Their bumpmapping is almost as bad as Valve's. What's up with that?

Isolation
28th May 2007, 20:56
Um... I get the feeling they just recently implemented bumpmaps. I don't recall seeing any on Niko (or, anything for that matter) in the original trailer. Correct me if I am totally wrong. I mean, they had some fancy light effects, but the textures still felt like hi-res GTAIII.

Sil
29th May 2007, 07:50
IMO, that's how it should've been kept. Crackdown has beautiful graphics. GTA IV doesn't. GTA IV is being made at a later point of time than Crackdown, and, thus, the graphics should improve. IMO.

Edit: I mean, dude, man! Look at those cars! Look at those fucking reflections! They're bug-ugly! This is a game I'll be playing in the dark, where I can't see. >_>

Demented
29th May 2007, 08:29
Or you could just play it on a small TV. The old ones, whose diameter isn't mentioned in FEET.

Doomsiren
29th May 2007, 08:35
i was hoping for a character creation. but instead i am stuck with this guy from arabie <.< no offence but i would rather see a char creation

Ging
29th May 2007, 10:38
IMO, that's how it should've been kept. Crackdown has beautiful graphics. GTA IV doesn't. GTA IV is being made at a later point of time than Crackdown, and, thus, the graphics should improve. IMO.

There's still several months of development time left on GTA - things may be changed before release... Judging on pre-release screens is rarely all that wise.

Sil
29th May 2007, 16:21
=P I can only comment on what I see, though. That's how we get a discussion, innit?

Isolation
29th May 2007, 19:13
i was hoping for a character creation. but instead i am stuck with this guy from arabie <.< no offence but i would rather see a char creation

I would have preferred multiple characters like in the very first GTA game. Problem with that being it's hard to make any decent sized stories when you have multiple characters (though, GTA III would have worked great with it).

At least Niko looks to be more interesting (story wise) than the last few GTA characters...

Doomsiren
30th May 2007, 09:01
so a char creation should be implented!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QReaper
30th May 2007, 11:54
A character personality adds more to a game than you'd think it does. You'll see.

Sil
30th May 2007, 13:43
I dunno. I'd rather play as a guy I could at least mold a bit about myself. But from a given start like "Hired in by russian mob after said background, does jobs for very specific characters with great personalities who really flavour the arbitrary missions"