PDA

View Full Version : cpu idle programs?

Cyborg
29th March 2007, 05:48
has anyone heard about these things, such as cpuidle and waterfall and how effective/reliable they are?

it they do work without slowing down your system, saving battery, it sounds like a good deal. i just dont want to do anything that could permanently mess up my system.

edit::

also, whats a good temperature for the gpu/cpu to run at? i got this nifty fan controller program that lets me pick. the fans are set to turn on at 50C right now.

Gusdor
29th March 2007, 10:26
50C is fine. but you want your fans on all the time imo.
In an ideal world you would be running them both at 10C but that isnt going to happen

Paegus
29th March 2007, 10:39
call me crazy but wouldn't it be wiser to leave the CPU running at a constant temperature instead of having it fluctuate constantly as you use it or not?

thermal expansion and contraction being a bad thing and all that...

Ging
29th March 2007, 12:31
The idea of controlling fan speed is to attempt to maintain a steady temperature (as actually keeping the same temp at all times is nigh on impossible without a fair amount of cash going into cooling solutions).

Korrd
29th March 2007, 15:38
has anyone heard about these things, such as cpuidle and waterfall and how effective/reliable they are?Not very, I'd wager. The HLT instruction has been used in every version of Windows since NT, if I recall. Those programs were only useful in 9x.

If you're concerned about your computer staying cool when not in use, why not turn it off? We waste a lot of energy on idle electronics. If it's on, at least put it to use. Install the F@H (http://folding.stanford.edu) client.

also, whats a good temperature for the gpu/cpu to run at? i got this nifty fan controller program that lets me pick. the fans are set to turn on at 50C right now."Good" temps depend on which CPU/GPU you're talking about. Example: 50C on a Pentium4 is good. On an AthlonXP... not so much, especially if that's idle temp. General rule is that for every 10C you halve the lifespan of the part, so lower is always better.

Cyborg
30th March 2007, 00:24
The idea of controlling fan speed is to attempt to maintain a steady temperature (as actually keeping the same temp at all times is nigh on impossible without a fair amount of cash going into cooling solutions).

ok good... the default dell settings were to have the fans kick in at 70 degrees and not stop until it was below 50 degrees..... that seems really stupid to me.

right now the fans are set to kick in at 50 and shut down at 40, giving a 10 degree fluctuation.

Korrd
30th March 2007, 01:17
right now the fans are set to kick in at 50 and shut down at 40, giving a 10 degree fluctuation.On what processor?

Personally, I keep all fans at max speed all the time. I like things as cool as possible.

Cyborg
30th March 2007, 07:32
core 2 duo 2.0ghz each core. i forgot what the model number was or whatever...

gpu is a geforce 7900go gs

Korrd
31st March 2007, 06:33
Normal temps for C2Ds are about 40C idle and 50C under load. You're right, of course, that 70C is crazy high. It's within spec (I think Intel specs the C2Ds up to 85C), but I never like to get anywhere near that threshold.

You've only stated the temps at which your fans are set for... hopefully that's the range your processor's actually running in. ;)

Cyborg
1st April 2007, 03:28
Normal temps for C2Ds are about 40C idle and 50C under load. You're right, of course, that 70C is crazy high. It's within spec (I think Intel specs the C2Ds up to 85C), but I never like to get anywhere near that threshold.

You've only stated the temps at which your fans are set for... hopefully that's the range your processor's actually running in. ;)

the program also monitors the current temperatures of the cores and displays them in the taskbar. ive changed the settings to have the fans always run at low and then have them go into high at about 111F. when not playing games they usually chill at around 100f each. with a fluctuation of only a few degrees.